Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, please don't flame on me as I'm new to the whole bike scene. Never rode before....

I was given this bike as a gift. So lets not get into the whole you shouldn't be riding this bike blahahah....

I'm here because I have a problem and would like to hear from the more experience people what is wrong.

Well, I was given a 2007 R1. A few weeks ago, I took the bike out around the neighborhood for the first time. Though it was very difficult, I believe I ended up riding the bike around the neighborhood in 5-6th gear. I didn't know I was in such a high gear until I looked down at the thermostats and it tells me that the bike is about to over-heat so I park it there, leave it on idle for a few mins. Then I turn off the engine and the fans kick in.

Well I finally took the bike back home and haven't rode it since. I would go out there to warm up the bike once in a while. A question I have is, how bad did this damage the bike? I probably rode about a total of 5 miles or less, during that time.

Right now the bike every time I hold down the clutch while in neutral the bike makes a funny noise like there is something lose, something is spinning inside, some sorta rattle? Is this normal? Once I stick it in gear the rattling isn't as noticeable but it is still there....Would anyone happen to know what is the problem? What should I do to fix this?

Again, please don't flame on me....I'm here to get guidance on how to fix my bike, so that I don't add to the damage...

Thank you

·
keeps it on two wheels
63 Posts
If you haven't taken an MSF course or something, do yourself a favor and leave it where it is until then. If you "didn't know" you were in 6th gear you need someone to teach you how to ride before you get hurt.

Secondly, the bike is fine, the chattering is normal. Obviously if you park and leave the bike running it's going to get hotter since no air is running through the radiator.

Thirdly, if your 07 has the lag issue, you might want to get the ECU swapped. There are several threads on it here.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you haven't taken an MSF course or something, do yourself a favor and leave it where it is until then. If you "didn't know" you were in 6th gear you need someone to teach you how to ride before you get hurt.

Secondly, the bike is fine, the chattering is normal. Obviously if you park and leave the bike running it's going to get hotter since no air is running through the radiator.

Thirdly, if your 07 has the lag issue, you might want to get the ECU swapped. There are several threads on it here.

Thanks for the respond, at the time, I didn't take the MSF course. I've now taken the MSF course and completed it, but I still don't feel very comfortable riding the bike. I know how to switch the gears correctly now...

Aside from that, so the chattering is normal? I didn't damage the bike by riding it in the higher gears??

Thanks

·
No Comment ...
1,700 Posts
Well, I was given a 2007 R1. A few weeks ago, I took the bike out around the neighborhood for the first time. Though it was very difficult, I believe I ended up riding the bike around the neighborhood in 5-6th gear. I didn't know I was in such a high gear until I looked down at the thermostats and it tells me that the bike is about to over-heat so I park it there, leave it on idle for a few mins. Then I turn off the engine and the fans kick in.

your clutch issue is normal, if i remember correctly its the plates hitting the basket but im not sure .. you should hear a Ducati! ..

how hot did it get when you say it told you it was about to over heat? and not trying to be a d!ck, but if it was about to over heat, why did you leave it running?

·
I EAT SKYLINES!
2,162 Posts
The clutch issue is indeed the clutch basket rattling. My '00 and my '07 did the same thing.

Man, an R1 is going to be your second love, and quite possibly your first, even if you're married :) . But make sure you take it easy and get some training in!

Most tracks have Rider Training days you can go to to learn how to stop and corner and what to look out for when riding. It would be a really sad thing if the bike scared you and you hopped off it for good.
Like with any high performance machine you need to learn how to manage it properly.

Enjoy! And welcome to the forum! :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
your clutch issue is normal, if i remember correctly its the plates hitting the basket but im not sure .. you should hear a Ducati! ..

how hot did it get when you say it told you it was about to over heat? and not trying to be a d!ck, but if it was about to over heat, why did you leave it running?

When I said turned it off, I only turned off the engine (the kill switch). The key was still in the ON position so the fans kicked in to cool down the engine. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The clutch issue is indeed the clutch basket rattling. My '00 and my '07 did the same thing.

Man, an R1 is going to be your second love, and quite possibly your first, even if you're married :) . But make sure you take it easy and get some training in!

Most tracks have Rider Training days you can go to to learn how to stop and corner and what to look out for when riding. It would be a really sad thing if the bike scared you and you hopped off it for good.
Like with any high performance machine you need to learn how to manage it properly.

Thanks for the kind words. I've always praised the R1 for many years now. I never thought I would get one. I always wanted to ride, but never wanted to start off with such a monster bike. After taking the MSF course I thought I was more comfortable riding the bike so I tried hopping on and giving it another shot. All I was able to do was sit there for a moment...I think the throttle is just way too sensitive for me. I would much rather start off with something smaller, but I can't really sale the bike as it was a gift....So I'm sitting in a dilemma...What to do...

As for the clutch issue, no I never half engaged the clutch. I drive manual car, so I do know the proper management of the clutch and how to control it and so forth. The rattling is normal for 00' - 07' bikes? WOW? What is the issue? Is it something major that should be looked at or, it doesn't hurt the bike at all?

·
I EAT SKYLINES!
2,162 Posts
Im not saying its normal from 00-07 ( I dont know if it is), just saying my 00 and my 07 both did it. Its actually not a problem at all (I Believe), its how the machine is designed.
Like a member above said, try riding a Ducati!

The throttle is real sensitive on the 07s, I even noticed it compared to my 00. Down low it seems to either have too little torque or too much, but I balance it out with the clutch a bit.

You "can" learn to ride on a R1, you just need to be sensible about it. Go do some research on local tracks now, or ask on this forum. You need to get your ass out there so you can learn to control that bad boy!

·
unleash the beast
8,615 Posts
First off, please don't flame on me as I'm new to the whole bike scene. Never rode before....

I was given this bike as a gift. So lets not get into the whole you shouldn't be riding this bike blahahah....

I'm here because I have a problem and would like to hear from the more experience people what is wrong.

Well I finally took the bike back home and haven't rode it since. I would go out there to warm up the bike once in a while. A question I have is, how bad did this damage the bike? I probably rode about a total of 5 miles or less, during that time.

Right now the bike every time I hold down the clutch while in neutral the bike makes a funny noise like there is something lose, something is spinning inside, some sorta rattle? Is this normal? Once I stick it in gear the rattling isn't as noticeable but it is still there....Would anyone happen to know what is the problem? What should I do to fix this?

Again, please don't flame on me....I'm here to get guidance on how to fix my bike, so that I don't add to the damage...

Thank you
Ok this all normal .... nothen wrong with the bike... when u get the service done... i recommend to get engine ice coolant

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

if it scares you that bad start off in second the bike has enuff power trust me to do that .
You know what, thats actually a very good idea. I never thought of that before....Would starting off in second hurt the bike if I were to practice this for a say a week or so? Say like an hour or 2 just riding around and starting off in 2nd...?

·
unleash the beast
8,615 Posts
At the rate I'm going, I have no idea when I would go in for my first service. LOL! :)
LOL just take your time.. this is my first bike in 10 yrs

·
unleash the beast
8,615 Posts
1. First of all you need to know your bike.
2. Take your time.
3. Get use to it.

·
unleash the beast
8,615 Posts
You cant be afraid .. you control the bike .. bike dont control you..:fork

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.