Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
18 months ago a friend of mine crashed his 2000
R1 and the bike has been sitting in his garage
since. It was a front-end crash, he broke the triple-
trees and bent the forks, front rim and bent the headers. Basically the whole bike was TOUCHED.

The thing I want to know is weather I should buy the engine from him. It LOOKS good but with that much damage to the bike and it sitting so long do you think it is really good? He said he does'nt know if it is good or not but I now have to dough to fix my tranny (2nd gear skips)

All the engine covers are intact, he drained the oil long ago and took the battery out. And last but not least he will sell me the BIKE for $400. My tranny will cost $1000
to fix. Should I go 4 it? I can switch the engines myself.
What should I look 4???
:confused:

· Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nah!!!

The bike is NOT stolen. But it is totalled
the frame is dented and bent, the tanks bent
there's hardly anything in the front of the bike.
Everything is TOUCHED except (From what I could see)
the engine and the rearshock.

· THE MAN
3,750 Posts
BOJACKR1

If you are worried about how long the bike has been sitting, I would not worry too much about it. If the motor was damaged you would be able to see it from the outside.

I would just pull the plugs and put about a table spoon of MOTOR oil into each hole. Then once you get the motor swapped, with the plugs still out of it. Turn the motor over untill the oil light goes out. That will get oil everywhere in the motor it needs to be before you put any load on it. Of course you will want to change the oil and filter BEFORE you do this. good luck brother.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.