Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I ride a zx-10.
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To fix my clutch problem, I decided instead of leaning the bike over, since i have no place to do it and nothing to put under it, I would fill the oil level to the top with oil and let it sit over night, then do an oil change in the morning. I bought 4 Quarts of oil to add to the current level and to my surprise, it didnt fill to the top. There isnt much room to see in there, but from what it looked like, I couldnt even see the oil through the opening. Did I just waste four quarts of oil or will this be enough oil to be effective? I zip tied my clutch just in case this is enough oil, but im a lil friggin frustrated with this thing already.:boom :machinegu :mad:

·
yield
17,823 Posts
Whoa... what are you trying to do. Explain clutch problem? 4 extra quarts?

·
I ride a zx-10.
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haha, im sure you're aware the '04's and '05's have a sticky clutch problem.. The reccomended fix for it is to soak the clutch plates in oil for a few hours, but that requires you to take the clutch apart. So someone else had the genius idea of laying the bike on its right side so the oil in the case lubricates the clutch plates that way for a few hours.. But thats requires you to lean the bike over on its side and risk ****in up the plastics and what not. So someone ELSE suggested filling the case full with oil, so no tipping is necessary. Let it sit, and then (obviously before starting) drain the oil and refill with the correct amount.. Thats the route I chose. The bike isnt started with the 4 extra quarts, its just sitting there soaking into the clutch plates.

·
I ride a zx-10.
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
? what dont you understand? Filling the case with oil submerges the clutch, soaking the clutch plates. If you do that, you dont need to lay the bike down or take the clutch apart..

·
Super Moderator
11,878 Posts
I didn't have this problem but it seems to me that just having the engine running would be circulating the oil over the clutch plates so shouldn't that fix it? if it doesn't get high enough to cover the assembly when running then tipping the bike on it's side and/or over filling it over night would do the same thing. Just seems like you waste the oil that way. Maybe that's why the dealers suggest just leaning the bike over. Less money for them.

·
G Addict
2,848 Posts
Id try something else first but you might need a friends help.
Start the motor and let it run for a few minutes which will get some oil to the clutch.
While its running, run with it and hop on.
Put it in gear while rolling and abruptly gas the throttle on and off while holding in the clutch lever.
Its worth a try because this will loosen up all but the most stuck of clutches.

If you feel you may drop your bike doing this then get a bud to help you push.
Also remember that with a stuck clutch youll be stuck in drive untill it breaks loose so leave yourself some room.
If it doesnt work (which I doubt) you can just ride it back and bump it into neutral before you stop.
Ive done this many times on different bikes.

Good Luck :thumbup

·
My other bike is your sister
7,420 Posts
I had the problem initially, but as I blip the throttle on every downshift it was never an issue and I personally think that this helped to clear it up sooner than most. By the first oil change it was all but gone, and within a days ride of that first oil change it had disappeared forever.

·
I ride a zx-10.
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Its a known issue, what I did seemed to have worked. filled it up all the way with oil, ziptied the clutch and let it sit over night. The next morning I did an oil/filter change and worked the clutch a lil. I didnt get much riding time as I was late for work, but the problem seems to be fixed so far. The clutch grabs much better, shifts much smoother.. I'll def be doing some more testing tomorrow. I'll let everyone know...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.