Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright guys i'm hoping someone out there has had this problem and fixed it or at least knows what to do about it.
i have an 03' R1 i just finished putting on an akro full evo system ,
graves ram air box,velocity stacks,slide stop kit,pc3r.
the bike was running smooth with the evo sytem, pc3r, velocity stacks
but when i installed the ram air box , the bike hesitate for a split second,rattles(or sounds like a rattle in the throttle body).it starts as soon as i crack it open, but then the rattle goes away. this happens in any gear and any rpm,or whenever i roll on or off the throttle . the bike is kinda of acting like it has flat side carbs.oh yeah i had the bike tuned by r-cals in huntington beach ca. also shouldn't i have more than 147 hp at the rear wheels with all this stuff?
besides what i just explained the bike still hauls some serious arss.
please help?
:(

·
Fudge is Great !!!
230 Posts
You got screwed. looks like they didn't tighten some fasteners whnen they were installing the air box. They also could have forgotten somthing after dynoing and tuning the A/F system

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for your reply,but i installed everything, they just tuned the bike. i checked every bolt/connection on everything i can not find anything loose.i also had them double check my work and they said everthing looked okay, and they will try to look into the problem, but they seem to think it's okay(r-cals)
i have not called graves derectly yet i will on monday though.

·
Registered
14,085 Posts
Normally,i"d say the rattle comes from the slides,from a too rich or too lean low down carburetion,but you got the slides stop...I dont know,are they removed,or just shoved in there?

Anyways,the low down or specific rpm range seem to be asking for more tuning...I got rid of that behavior on my carbed bike by tuning it some more.

·
Blue is best
787 Posts
Im wondering if the "rattle" you are referring to is simply air box resonance. With that long intake funnel and no sound dampening you will here the air being drawn into the box at anything above 1/3 throttle.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
thanks for your info guys.the slides stops are lightly press holding the slides keeping the slides open so the throttle body butterflies are doing all the work.
which is suppose to make the r1 snappier,but i feel more of an oppossite response.
i also thought it could be the noise from the funnel but it just seems to loud.
i talked with the graves guys and they also thought it might be a tunning issue
so i called back r-cals and they are going to remap it for me tommorrow.
wish me luck! i will post my results tommorrow any more advice would be appreciated.
oh yeah i tripple checked everything.everything looked to be working fine.
thanks again...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no luck problem is still happening, i will take the slides stops off and see if thats the problem. any suggestions? anybody?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I also had Tit Graves F/S slide slops,velocity stacks and ram air box and pc3. It was to dynoed and customed mapped and I only pulled 146hp. But thats not the issue here. I had that noise comming from the air box when I crack it open,called graves and they said the same thing, a remapping issue. But the certified mechanic and dyno person said the the air box was sucking in to much air because of the slide stops. I went back and mapped again and it helped alittle, buy I also found that I lost low end. But it did hall ass. email me w/any more questions

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hitman do you still have the problem, or did you learn to live with it, i'm considering taking the slide stops off.it doesn't bother me as much now that i'm use to it, but i still miss the smooth throttle response. when they remapped your bike did they richen it up or lean it out?when i get more money i will go back to r-cals and remap it without the slide stops,r-cals are pretty cool people. he will only charge me dyno time for a new map(about $80).we will see what happens....:dunno
thanks for the reply

·
she so hot she **** charcoal!
250 Posts
JETPLANES

Ive had that taste in my mouth before:crash Time for a jet kit dude! then youll be cruisin:riding

·
she so hot she **** charcoal!
250 Posts
OOps ,yours is an 03!Duh!Gotta be a fuel map issue.No offense to anyone ,but i think you might wanna find another shop and get their opinion.if that rattle your hearing is detonation it could get real nasty real quick!!!

·
YZFR1
168 Posts
I have this problem too..... if you have more info...... it would be greatly appreciated......

·
see you at the races and ride
3,906 Posts
you guys are converting your TBs into flatslides/smoothbores by installing the slide-stops. Cant be the best mod for a street driven R1.

·
YZFR1
168 Posts
Custom Map made the hesitation go away, They are a little noisy but the mid range gain is awsome ) :rock. More air and more fuel can't be as hard on the engine as a strocker kit and who says its not for racing....

·
"Gort-Klaatu barada nikto!"
3,197 Posts
jorge zee said:
no luck problem is still happening, i will take the slides stops off and see if thats the problem. any suggestions? anybody?
I have the BoxR ramair box, slide stops, stacks etc....! Makes a lot of induction noise! Lost bottom end too! Removed stops, helped quite a bit! I also have the fuel pressure booster!

·
Can i bum $1
884 Posts
Alright now I'm getting a little concerned. I'm at the beginning of this process. I'm planning on purchasing the GMS air box, velocity stacks, slide stops and PCM.

I've got an 03. Should I just get everything but the slide stops?

Is there another mod that is better than just using the slide stops?

Also do you think having a slip on as opposed to a full exhaust will help correct some of the throttle trouble while using the slide stops?

·
see you at the races and ride
3,906 Posts
I would not run SS on the street just as I would not want to run smoothbores on my carbed R1. You are defeating the CV function with either mod.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts