Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After getting the rest of the gasket crap off the head with a razor this is what the head looks like. The little scratches left you cant feel they are only visable, you think I am ok? And does the head look clean enough for the new gasket?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And how about the tps of the cylinder? I couldnt get all the black paint or whatever is left behind from the gasket, you cant feel the black stuff and the razor wouldnt get it off unless I really dug in. Does it have to be so absolutely clean that you cant see the black there

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And I dont know how this got here but just saw it. It is a little indention not deep at all you can barely feel it, please tell me I should be ok. Please excuse my art work there!!!!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Suface looks good for the new gasket cool, I thought I was going ot have to make the suface look brand new. You cant feel no debris on it at all. What do you mean be lapped?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After doing all of this work it makes me want to be a mechanic!!! I enjoy doing this type of stuff.

·
MY R1 ATE THE BANK!
1,447 Posts
martinc said:
Its all ok...

While you are there,it would be a good idea to have the valves lapped and clean...
:iamwithst

·
Formley known as slutty
5,183 Posts
ya looks good................If youve had no mechanical expierence before I give you mad props for digging this deep into you engine..

I would definately take your valves into a shope and have them triple face angle grind.....

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
slutty22 said:
ya looks good................If youve had no mechanical expierence before I give you mad props for digging this deep into you engine..

I would definately take your valves into a shope and have them triple face angle grind.....
Thanks slutty22 yes this is the first time I have dug this deep into a engine. I think if you understand how an engine works, have a sevice manual, and your not an idiot, it shouldnt be hard. Well you have to be some what mechanically inclined also!!! Maybe all those times I use to watch my father work on cars and otherengine work paid off, now I know why he always use to make me. I appreciate all the help from you guys!!!! Hopefully I can return the favor someday. I am going to call around and see about the valve job. About how much would it cost to get these valves redone?

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,685 Posts
i'm not sure you need to have them reground. Instead i would ask to have them re-lapped. That means they put a mildly abrasive agent on the valve seat, and using the valve itself, they rotate the valve face around on the seat, this creats a good sealing surface between the valve itself and the seat. Not something i would do yourself if you do not have experience, but if you know someone who does and is willing to helo ya, it's not that difficult.

Re-cutting the valve seats can be fairly expensive on an R1, as there are 20 of them to do:crash

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im just going to install it the way it is, I dont have any more money. I think it will be ok.

·
Formley known as slutty
5,183 Posts
martinc said:
It was just a last thing to do;

If you got the tool to remove the valves,you can do them 1 by 1...I wonder if over cleaner would be good for that...

I used oven cleaner on v8s out of the cage's I worked on....looked better than an acid dip.:yesnod

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,685 Posts
martinc said:
It was just a last thing to do;

If you got the tool to remove the valves,you can do them 1 by 1...I wonder if over cleaner would be good for that...
SHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
That's an ancient bike mechanic secret!!!
:crash

also using a peice of fule line to stick over the end of the valve stem to make the lapping process easier....

·
Registered
14,085 Posts
R1Budha said:
SHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
That's an ancient bike mechanic secret!!!
:crash

also using a peice of fule line to stick over the end of the valve stem to make the lapping process easier....
hehe,I was merely pointing out (in a subtle manner) the "expensive products" they charge for the job...

:sneaky

1 - 18 of 18 Posts