Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! Did that get your attention? GOOD! I have searched for some time with no luck! They were a rare beast when new, and that was 20 years ago. My best friend bought 1 in 2002 brand new. I got to ride it twice. We are old guys now at 52. I have a 1995 CBR900RR I ride constantly. My bestie, unfortunately can't ride a sport bike unless he has a second surgery on his shoulder. As best friends sometimes do, I am meddling. I am trying to convince him to have the surgery so we can ride together again, but he is resisting. The idea of being down for 6 months and then physical rehab has no appeal. YES! You guessed it. I am willing to manipulate my best friend into a surgery he needs by offering up the coolest toy he ever had as a reward. Worse yet, he knows I am doing it. If I find a 2001 Champions Edition R1, I will buy it anywhere in the lower 48! "IF"!? I don't trust "if"! "If" won't convince my best friend to go under the knife. A rare and insane R1 like the 1 he used to have is my only option. I don't have any YouTube subscribers, so never going to find 1 that way. I am NOT doing this out of any noble purpose. 2 middle aged guys acting like hooligans on sport bikes again after 20 years is priceless to me at this point. Know anyone that has 1? Ever seen 1 for sale? Have you seen 1 in a dealership somewhere with a sign on it "NOT FOR SALE!"? Help me find this motorcycle, and we can put OG crotch rocket hooligan back in the seat.

Registered
Hi guys! Did that get your attention? GOOD! I have searched for some time with no luck! They were a rare beast when new, and that was 20 years ago. My best friend bought 1 in 2002 brand new. I got to ride it twice. We are old guys now at 52. I have a 1995 CBR900RR I ride constantly. My bestie, unfortunately can't ride a sport bike unless he has a second surgery on his shoulder. As best friends sometimes do, I am meddling. I am trying to convince him to have the surgery so we can ride together again, but he is resisting. The idea of being down for 6 months and then physical rehab has no appeal. YES! You guessed it. I am willing to manipulate my best friend into a surgery he needs by offering up the coolest toy he ever had as a reward. Worse yet, he knows I am doing it. If I find a 2001 Champions Edition R1, I will buy it anywhere in the lower 48! "IF"!? I don't trust "if"! "If" won't convince my best friend to go under the knife. A rare and insane R1 like the 1 he used to have is my only option. I don't have any YouTube subscribers, so never going to find 1 that way. I am NOT doing this out of any noble purpose. 2 middle aged guys acting like hooligans on sport bikes again after 20 years is priceless to me at this point. Know anyone that has 1? Ever seen 1 for sale? Have you seen 1 in a dealership somewhere with a sign on it "NOT FOR SALE!"? Help me find this motorcycle, and we can put OG crotch rocket hooligan back in the seat.
You can thank me anytime and any which way. Here you go.

Registered
'08 r1
Okay here photo of 2000 looks the same as 01 View attachment 1026663
The rear fender would be carbon as well as the front fender, the triple tree would have a stamped number plate and the fuel tank would have champions edition decals.

No. 1 is on the forum undergoing a resto. She was straight rough. Hard living on the coast roached her out pretty bad.

I'll link the thread.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I GOT 1! I caught a f'n unicorn right here in Kentucky! #418 is now mine, and I couldn't be happier! I picked it up this afternoon, and it is snuggled up next to the CBR. 3 bikes to prep for spring this winter, and let the games begin! Thanks to everyone who replied to the thread.

Registered

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Just watched video lol your not f playing any more so you going to street race it
I gave up racing unless it is over distance. 20 or 30 miles down a back road for souls. The message was meant for the Kentucky State Police. One of their troopers decided he wanted to play with me in the spring. It's on YouTube as well, titled "Calling out the Kentucky State Police". Word got around pretty fast, and even the local cops act like I am invisible now.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Congrats! (y)

I had those same flush mounts on my 2000. Don't even remember what they're called or where I bought them from.
I may keep them if I can make them work. It was wired with LEDs at some point, and the previous owner took them out. Lord knows what the wiring looks like, but I don't even care. I can fix it. Too many things had to go just right for me to get 1 at all.

Hope is what makes us Human.
I just saw this thread. The request was too easy i know someone that has one...(y)
Good luck on ur youtube

Reactions: Stripprclip

Registered
'08 r1
? Does it have better parts or more power over the R1 that everyone back in the day had when people see my 2000 R1 say that had one and love it. but my have some upgrades View attachment 1027294
If you're asking about upgrades, I'd probably start with tires. Maybe get a set of brake pads. Oh, and I might go out to Walmart and buy some material in the crafts department to staple onto the seat. A guy did one in fake gator skin from Wally planet, came out top shelf. I would also probably look for an exhaust.

If you are asking if yours is more powerful than anybody else's, that's going to be impossible to accurately answer, but I have my suspicions.

With that exhaust, it won't have it at the top end (because of the impulse and scavenging and whatnot, which is part of the reason the stock can is huge) but it may come out of the hole screaming, I can't tell from here. I'm guessing you have an aftermarket filter. The stock filter is dyno proven to make the most power. I'm wondering if your bike is properly jetted. If it isn't, you're leaving power on the table.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts