Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
? Does it have better parts or more power over the R1 that everyone back in the day had when people see my 2000 R1 say that had one and love it. but my have some upgrades View attachment 1027294
Everything I have found so far says the limited edition 2001 was supposed to be a street legal track bike. According to Yamaha, the engine and drive train were identical to the standard R1. The fully adjustable factory race suspension and chassis tweaks set it apart, allegedly.

· Registered
182 Posts
If you're asking about upgrades, I'd probably start with tires. Maybe get a set of brake pads. Oh, and I might go out to Walmart and buy some material in the crafts department to staple onto the seat. A guy did one in fake gator skin from Wally planet, came out top shelf. I would also probably look for an exhaust.

If you are asking if yours is more powerful than anybody else's, that's going to be impossible to accurately answer, but I have my suspicions.

With that exhaust, it won't have it at the top end (because of the impulse and scavenging and whatnot, which is part of the reason the stock can is huge) but it may come out of the hole screaming, I can't tell from here. I'm guessing you have an aftermarket filter. The stock filter is dyno proven to make the most power. I'm wondering if your bike is properly jetted. If it isn't, you're leaving power on the table.
Okay thank you for info. No no. I was talking about different between the standard R1 and championship R1

· Registered
182 Posts
Everything I have found so far says the limited edition 2001 was supposed to be a street legal track bike. According to Yamaha, the engine and drive train were identical to the standard R1. The fully adjustable factory race suspension and chassis tweaks set it apart, allegedly.
I find one I think it’s not real just some fairing plastic on it or stickers
Fuel tank Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I find one I think it’s not real just some fairing plastic on it or stickers
Your pics show a blue triple clamp on top of the steering head. That is an aftermarket piece. I am not calling this bike a fake for 2 reasons. You can always check the VIN with Yamaha as they will know for sure, but................The decal on top of the tank is under the clearcoat, and the edges look like a kindergarten class cut it out. Secondly, when #525 was wrecked in 2002, Yamaha told my best friend the plastics and the tank were irreplaceable. There were never any spares made. In order to repair it, they would have used standard R1 parts that wouldn't match. I would deep dive with Yamaha if I were you just out of curiosity.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
UPDATE!!!!

Ok, it has been cold and rainy and miserable. I have looked over the R1 fairly well. I have to admit it fell over on the trailer on the way home when the trailer bounced and the ratchet strap snapped. No major damage. Won't buy that brand of straps again. Anyway, I couldn't help but enjoy it just a bit today. Shameless self-promotion once again, but it is all because I fell in love with this insanely twitchy sketchy thing a couple decades ago. This is today!

2001 Champions Edition R1 Cold Start, Warm Up, And Let's Make Some Noise For the Neighbors - YouTube

· Registered
182 Posts
Same here weather not good and watch your video neighbors not happy with me too. my voodoo pipe loud and I fly pass the cop house all the time someone told me he was outside looking for me later I say the same thing my two brothers exhaust is big too

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motorcycle

Took my baby to be inspected because she came from Alabama. Got that sorted, got the new tags, and took her out around town. I LOVE THIS BIKE! The tachometer problem is a trouble code meaning a bad sensor or a short. That's an easy fix as soon as my service manual arrives. I hope you all had a great Christmas. I'll post updates and upgrades here as well as YouTube. I wish you all the best in 2023.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Same here weather not good and watch your video neighbors not happy with me too. my voodoo pipe loud and I fly pass the cop house all the time someone told me he was outside looking for me later I say the same thing my two brothers exhaust is big too
Part of the issue is we had a cop die on this street on a 4 wheeler July 2021.

· Registered
182 Posts
View attachment 1027846

Took my baby to be inspected because she came from Alabama. Got that sorted, got the new tags, and took her out around town. I LOVE THIS BIKE! The tachometer problem is a trouble code meaning a bad sensor or a short. That's an easy fix as soon as my service manual arrives. I hope you all had a great Christmas. I'll post updates and upgrades here as well as YouTube. I wish you all the best in 2023.
Alabama roll tide. I say G used to live near Athens GA. I ride today nice but thinking about put my bike in shop soon

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Alabama roll tide. I say G used to live near Athens GA. I ride today nice but thinking about put my bike in shop soon
She used to reside in Toney to be exact. Bought in Mayfield, Kentucky from a guy who never transferred the title. The paperwork was all in order, so I didn't have any problem driving to get it and paying close to his asking price.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
? Does it have better parts or more power over the R1 that everyone back in the day had when people see my 2000 R1 say that had one and love it. but my have some upgrades View attachment 1027294
Look on Ebay or at Hobby Lobby for some vinyl. I found a half yard of black crocodile vinyl and upholstery adhesive on Ebay for less than $30. They have all sorts of colors and textures, as well as marine vinyl for boats if you ride in the rain a lot. I used that material to do 2 full seats, and barely even used the adhesive. Pull all of the staples out of the old 1, and use it as a rough pattern to outline a replacement piece. Once you have it cut out and aligned, spray some adhesive on the inside of the vinyl and the seat padding. Give it 30 seconds, and then apply the material to the seat padding. Make sure you have a staple gun with some VERY sharp staples, pull the front tight, and staple it to the seat body. Do the same with the back and both sides. Go all the way around the underside of the seat, tightening the vinyl and stapling it down. You may have to use a hammer to drive the staples all the way in so they don't just pull out.
Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle

· Hope is what makes us Human.
8,556 Posts
Dude!
The 2001 Yamaha R1 Champion Edition is the exact same shizzet as the 2001 Yamaha R1 in exception of the decals that says champion edition on the tank and fairings. Also it came with the edition number plate on the yoke.

You want something special...? buy a 996R

· Riding is an art
160 Posts
Congrats on the bike! I still have my mint 01 r1 and just picked up another 2000 r1 that’s kind of a project but should come out very well when done. I also have a YouTube channel as well and I’ll be posting videos of the restore as I go along. Sub for a sub? https://m.youtube.com/@ctadrenaline/videos

· Riding is an art
160 Posts
The 7k tachometer code is your exup not working properly. Sometimes with enough riding it may free up. If your bike has a full system then you need to get a servo buddy so the code will clear. Do not touch the tachometer it’s working exactly how it should

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Congrats on the bike! I still have my mint 01 r1 and just picked up another 2000 r1 that’s kind of a project but should come out very well when done. I also have a YouTube channel as well and I’ll be posting videos of the restore as I go along. Sub for a sub? https://m.youtube.com/@ctadrenaline/videos

Definitely subbed to your channel. I was riding a CB900F the first time I rode an R1 in 2002 and have wanted 1 ever since. I finally got my chance. Power mods are the flavor of the month. Doing my research so I can match the jets to the new exhaust. Would you go Power Commander or buy a second ECU and have it flashed?

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
The 7k tachometer code is your exup not working properly. Sometimes with enough riding it may free up. If your bike has a full system then you need to get a servo buddy so the code will clear. Do not touch the tachometer it’s working exactly how it should

Thank you. I have found conflicting accounts. I was really only going to check the wires, test the sensor, and replace it anyway. I am just learning how the exup system works. I'll have power mods added, the tach fixed, tune and dyno by May 1.

· Riding is an art
160 Posts
Definitely subbed to your channel. I was riding a CB900F the first time I rode an R1 in 2002 and have wanted 1 ever since. I finally got my chance. Power mods are the flavor of the month. Doing my research so I can match the jets to the new exhaust. Would you go Power Commander or buy a second ECU and have it flashed?
Thanks! Will do the same for you. Carbed bikes ( yours) can only change jets needles slides, carbs, and airbox. You can not add a power commander or get a ecu flash because it’s not fuel injected. 2002-2003 r1 you can add a power commander. Ecu flashes are only available for 04 and up. There is jet kits available. Best bet would be full exhaust and then dyno tune the carbs to get the air fuel ratio closer to perfect. ( some things to note is that if you tune it 100% at say 80 degrees Fahrenheit outside then once it drops to say 60 it will start to be lean which you don’t want. You will need a happy medium on the jetting so your not changing out jets in all 4 carbs all the time. Better to be a little rich and leave it be so in winter it’s basically on point and summer a little rich ( I’m gonna assume that’s when most of your riding will be done) since you still do some riding in colder weather too I see. Unfortunately there is not too many power mods for this year. A lot of people do a -1 front sprocket and +2 rear sprocket for some more get up and go feeling. When doing that though you need a “speedo healer” though to show the correct mph and correct mileage as it will not read correctly with the gear change. Some people have done turbos and other things like stroker kits ect but that is costly. I fine stock gearing to be fine for me on my 2001 r1. In the future I might try -1/+2

21 - 40 of 44 Posts