Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so ive had my bike for about 3 weeks, almost at 800 miles, and thus far the bike is flawless, love the bike, quite orgazmic if you ask me. now when i walk into a class or talk to people, they'll ask 'what bike do you have' and i respond 'an R1' and immediatly they say 'dude, your gunna kill yourself' is it me or is that responce not only a little sheltered but also a little uncalled for. how many other things out there can you say that too. people who use chainsaws, women who blowdry their hair, fisherman who fish in a storm, the list could theoreticly go on and on. ive heard you have a better chance of getting injured in your house than you do in any vehicle.

In a way there are days when its kinda depressing to hear how so many people react and give bout the same responce. Now given most people in the world will only hear about the accidents or the people who die from them, and not those stories of people who ride every day and never have a problem. now, givin, i dont really ride that hard. sure, i use its acceleration to my advantage and ive spent a day or two on the local twisties that i could find, which were a lot of fun, but i'd rather save the aggressive driving for the track. i plan on attending quite a few trackdays next season, but still.

What have you guys encountered and what is the best way to respond. the thought has crossed my mind more than once to rip'm a new one cause why the hell would you say that to someone, is it me or is that possibly the worst thing you can say to someone.

i mean, there are those people close to me who express concern for my safty, and i still dont know what to say to them either, i mean, is their a way to ease the tension towrd me having a bike, just a little FYI, i come from a family of nurses, most of all work in intensive care, so i figure its never gunna stop, but anything is better than nothing. and this isnt my first bike i had a 600 a while back.

it may seem like im taking it a little personal, but im not, im just curious as to what you guys have experianced

Patrick :beer

·
Getting Back
1,177 Posts
I have an 05 R1 as a first bike, so believe me, ive heard em all. But, im a laid back, easy going guy. So, im not crazy on it, i dont do tricks, and if i wanna tear up a road, its at Jennings, doin 165MPH down the back stretch wearin a full kangaroo suit. As for others, if they ride, and they start saying something like, your gonna die. I just say back, "Yeah, I might." If they don't, i usually dont offer a response, cause they just wouldnt understand.....

·
Super Moderator
45,411 Posts
When I was looking for insurance for mine more than half of the companies I called wouldn't insure it. One of them told me their numbers show it isn't worth it because the average life of a new R1 is 600 miles!!!! Obviously, that must be the average only of bikes that have had claims filed, but that's unbelievable.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Since you say "when I am in class" leads me to believe your pretty young. Im 20 and get the same thing all the time.

I got it when I was riding my fathers suzuki marauder 800, and it got worse with the ZX-6R I had, now its rediculous with the one.

I have been riding for a long time and have put 5000 miles on each of thoes bikes so its not liek the R1 was a first for me.

Goodluck with the R1 and lets prove to thoes people that we arent statistics.:thumbup

-Ted:p

·
Booya
34,490 Posts
I work in a hospital one floor above the OR's....with all the anesthesiologists....they see me every day walking in wearing all my leathers and such. I get that same comment, or variations (nothing like having a doctor that just removed a dude's leg from a bike wreck see me in leathers) and I just tell them that yup, I will probably die, but so will they, and I'm definatly not going to sit at home in bubble wrap until that day comes.

One doc came to me one day and asked me how I can ride that contraption. He drives a 360 spider...though very safely...but I ask him, with that top down, how can you sit at a stoplight waitng for the sky to fall on your head? Or what happens when you roll that thing over and the only thing that hits the ground before the windshield is your balding scalp.

Basicly I brush it off. It's not worth describing to them, since they dont' own one and consiquently will never understand.

·
`F#$king Sweet!`
267 Posts
usually just say "you've never riden have you" and walk past. Not worht my time to explain to them that some people refuse to tip-toe through life. Gotta have some damn fun while you're alive!

·
Akrapovic xplane
6,024 Posts
Centicide said:
so ive had my bike for about 3 weeks, almost at 800 miles, and thus far the bike is flawless, love the bike, quite orgazmic if you ask me. now when i walk into a class or talk to people, they'll ask 'what bike do you have' and i respond 'an R1' and immediatly they say 'dude, your gunna kill yourself' is it me or is that responce not only a little sheltered but also a little uncalled for. how many other things out there can you say that too. people who use chainsaws, women who blowdry their hair, fisherman who fish in a storm, the list could theoreticly go on and on. ive heard you have a better chance of getting injured in your house than you do in any vehicle.

In a way there are days when its kinda depressing to hear how so many people react and give bout the same responce. Now given most people in the world will only hear about the accidents or the people who die from them, and not those stories of people who ride every day and never have a problem. now, givin, i dont really ride that hard. sure, i use its acceleration to my advantage and ive spent a day or two on the local twisties that i could find, which were a lot of fun, but i'd rather save the aggressive driving for the track. i plan on attending quite a few trackdays next season, but still.

What have you guys encountered and what is the best way to respond. the thought has crossed my mind more than once to rip'm a new one cause why the hell would you say that to someone, is it me or is that possibly the worst thing you can say to someone.

i mean, there are those people close to me who express concern for my safty, and i still dont know what to say to them either, i mean, is their a way to ease the tension towrd me having a bike, just a little FYI, i come from a family of nurses, most of all work in intensive care, so i figure its never gunna stop, but anything is better than nothing. and this isnt my first bike i had a 600 a while back.

it may seem like im taking it a little personal, but im not, im just curious as to what you guys have experianced

Patrick :beer
They're just haters.........they wouldn't be saying that if they had an R1 :cool:

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had a guy the other day at work pull up beside me on his Harley no helmet, shorts ,tee shirt and freakin sandals, the first thing he says is, "damn your bike looks fast" and i said yep it is a screamer, then he proceeds to tell me that i will kill myself on that thing, I just looked at him and said, that is pretty funny coming from a guy with no gear on, he then walked away laughing, i had full gear on! :butt

·
Registered
396 Posts
LOL hey i can see where they're coming from... if your younge and fairly new to biking chances are your gonna try something stupid sometime or your gonna come across something your unprepaired for. Now with an R1, you got enough power and handling that when something goes wrong... it goes REAL wrong, and hey alot of people die. Now the harley guy riding without any leathers... yeah of coarse he's screwed if someone pulls out infront of him... however so are most of us. Now I don't know about you, but the times i've been down are clearly due to speed... if i was on a harley I would have probably never been down in my lifetime. After all... how many harley's have you seen with road rash on em, verses sportbiker? I myself however I've always been on sportbikes... so that means fast accelleration and fast coners, which are where alot of problems are gonna occur. Hell I almost careemed myself the other day on a highway (I can't even remember when I started riding) where I thought I have a clear lane i'm gonna show off my power, well low and behold that clear lane turned into a blocked lane when a guy pulled out and I came within a foot of his bumper, man I was fishtailing trying to stop for that. ( and No that was fishtailing from using front brake, i wasn't newb skidding the rear). Anyways if i hadn't been able to get up to 280 kph in such short of a time I wouldn't have gotten into that mess. If I had done this while I was starting to learn how to drive, i can honestly say i'd be dead... I would have either creamed into the guy, or ended up ditching the bike between a concrete barier and trafic at 120 + kph... Another problem with big bikes is loosing the rear with some power around a corner... People tend to be unsteady or jerky when they first start riding, well thats not a good combo on these bikes. Needless to say... am I gonna tell you your gonna kill yourself... nah... would I recommend an large modern sportbike as a beginer bike to a friend???? Nope... So I can see there point... there just going with the odds.

·
Yamaha rocks!
48 Posts
SportbikerR1 said:
I plan on living long enough to see my son win races... ;-)
Starting the training already eh? That's quite a mighty ride for kiddo :)

·
Registered
351 Posts
Let's face it... we'll be stereo typed no matter what because of the few bad apples in our sport. I just quit arguing/entertaining ignorant people who don't have a clue as to why we ride these particular bikes.....

They all make the assumption that the vast majority of is will end up as road kill because of the type of bike we ride... Here on the big island of Hawaii... I've never heard of anyone dieing while riding a sportbike... Since I've moved here they has been 3 deaths attributed to a person riding a cruiser who have lost control of thier bikes and riding while intoxicated.

If people only knew what kind of skills it takes to even ride 50% of the capablities of these bike, they'd wake up and smell the coffe.

I've come up with this simple synopsis of this stereo typing.

SPORTBIKE= young generation, irresponsible, rebels, nuissance

Cruisers= Older/mature, responsible, can't go fast, and contirbutes to society

If you think I'm talking out of my ass try getting insurance quotes for a Sportbike and compare it to a cruiser/sport tourer.....

I believe society will always be ignorant and afraid of the unkown... Just talk to my mom.....

:fact :lol

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have been riding motorcycles since i was 5 yrs old, iam now 28 , so the harley guys dont just say that kind of stuff to the newbies!! As for guys on cruisers not having any road rash??? The guy on the harley that told me i would kill myself, has a friend that hit a deer on his brand new softail going 45 mph and it chewed his ass up, road rash all over and 12 stiches in his face, his wife shattered her leg. I dont think it has everything to do with what type of bike you ride, if it is your time its going to happen! :yesnod

·
Ahhh, Southwest Winters...
961 Posts
Sabian said:
I work in a hospital one floor above the OR's....with all the anesthesiologists....they see me every day walking in wearing all my leathers and such. I get that same comment, or variations (nothing like having a doctor that just removed a dude's leg from a bike wreck see me in leathers) and I just tell them that yup, I will probably die, but so will they, and I'm definatly not going to sit at home in bubble wrap until that day comes.

One doc came to me one day and asked me how I can ride that contraption. He drives a 360 spider...though very safely...but I ask him, with that top down, how can you sit at a stoplight waitng for the sky to fall on your head? Or what happens when you roll that thing over and the only thing that hits the ground before the windshield is your balding scalp.

Basicly I brush it off. It's not worth describing to them, since they dont' own one and consiquently will never understand.
Tell that doc to save his lectures for all the medical personnel who smoke; or the disproportionate number of people in the medical community that are drug addicts:fact

I get tired of lines from docs and nurses like "We call the motorcycle injury ward the 'Organ donor ward'", and the like...

These folks are good people, and our lives literally depend on them on average of twice in a lifetime:yesnod

But, although we get totally wasted in wrecks that cagers walk away from, we rarely are involved in head-ons; almost NEVER fall asleep while riding; don't take out children in crosswalks like cagers do; and those of us who are lucky enough to be riding in our golden years ride a HELL of a lot better than old cagers drive:thumbup

·
Registered
396 Posts
njarvis1977 said:
Awesome picture of the baby, he looks kind of like Colin Edwards:thumbup :thumbup You are gonna have to hide the keys when that one gets a little older:riding
Thanks man... yeah he's gonna get a mini bike when he gets a little older... who know's maybe i'll keep the r1 for 16 years so he can have it.

As for some of harley road rash etc. replys some of you are missing my point.

Look at the groups in a whole.... In general a younge male will do alot of stuff thats not shall we say in lines with survival... hell i'll admit it i've done stupid things... Next the harley guys don't push they extreams so they don't have the incidents sportbikes do. An idea of a harley ride on an sunday is how much of a tan on your shoulders you can get... a sunday sportbike ride... how close can I get those pegs on those corners. Its the type of ride we choose... same as sports cars... Lets just face it... unless your a poser you like the thrill and speed and that right there increases our chances of injury. I'm not saying were irresponsible... but i'm saying were gonna put ourselfs in situations that others are not... chances are sometimes you mess up. I'm under the oppinion people have the right to say i'm gonna kill myself, I know the risks and I have accepted it. If your under the illusion that a sport bike won't increase your "odds" of dying your wrong. See my responce to the people saying "your gonna kill yourself" is "yah but its worth it".

Sure more breaking power and more acceleration to get out of collision situations makes a vehicle safer... however i'm betting there is not a single sole here that has used that power etc ONLY for those emergency situations... if i'm wrong... i'm sure they deviate from that before there done riding.... that alone is what makes it "OK for them to say your gonna kill yourself". Just accept it... its not a few bad apples (yeah theres some squids that give us a horrible reputation)... but its us as a whole that gives us a "bad" reputation in regards to our lifespan, its why were driving these bikes in the first place that makes us that way.

·
Registered
396 Posts
terrence said:
Tell that doc to save his lectures for all the medical personnel who smoke; or the disproportionate number of people in the medical community that are drug addicts:fact

I get tired of lines from docs and nurses like "We call the motorcycle injury ward the 'Organ donor ward'", and the like...

These folks are good people, and our lives literally depend on them on average of twice in a lifetime:yesnod

But, although we get totally wasted in wrecks that cagers walk away from, we rarely are involved in head-ons; almost NEVER fall asleep while riding; don't take out children in crosswalks like cagers do; and those of us who are lucky enough to be riding in our golden years ride a HELL of a lot better than old cagers drive:thumbup
Yeah but there are tons of cager accidents... the "walk away" ratio is a hell of alot higher than ours... Plus the amount of cagers that NEVER have an accident is alot higher too, its a safer vehicle.

I don't see why people take offence to others thinking that were risking our lifes... we are and its our choice to do so. Its a fact of life.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.