Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Drinking Colt 45's with Lando
6,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife works there, so it is basically free for me to go to school there. I have not had any schooling other than high school, so it seems dumb for me not to go. Any who, I chose the computer networking systems course. It's a 2 year associates degree class. I start on Monday. I could possibly switch to the computer electronics class, but the networking pays the best according to the job placement people(my wifes best friend so I trust her judgement)

What do you guys think of this? Any experience in this field? What kind of certifications will I need to follow up with?

I make real good money at my present job in the paint mill so it will be tough to move on, but I really think it's smart to get some education. Just lookin for some kind words of advice!!!! Thanks guys

·
You will die alone
1,063 Posts
to do it for knowledge is great, especially if its free! good school too

I am a computer geek at one of the largest companies in the world. I have several degrees and a bunch of certs. They call me neo here hehe...I warn you though, do not do it with intentions of changing career fields, the market is saturated right now with computer geeks... and that is driving the salaries down rapidly. Pretty soon you could make more money delivering pizza than being a computer geek. No offense, but I wouldn't take for gospel anyone's judgement that works as a "job placement" person. If they knew where to make the money, would they be doing that for a living?

oh and dont let her tell you she makes 12$ an hour because she likes to "help people". I would shovel shit if it paid 100$ an hour. gl

·
Member 1352
1,904 Posts
I just heard some campuses were raided by the FBI for certain undisclosed reasons...

·
6,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jboat said:
I just heard some campuses were raided by the FBI for certain undisclosed reasons...
You heard right

lol

·
Tap dat...
14,394 Posts
So what was the reason then...anyone know?

·
HighRider
699 Posts
Oracle DBA here, the market is indeed saturated, two weeks ago I was reading an article in the Boston Globe about a 7 year Oracle DBA who now works as a personal trainer because she got laid off and can't find a job. Free schooling is the best if you can get it, jusat keep up with the certifications. Good luck.

·
we meat again
18,549 Posts
If you planning on having a carreer on networking, spend some time on Cisco... :fact

But take it slowly and see if you like it first.

:)

·
Life: Comedy or Tragedy?
37,587 Posts
Seems like everyone is getting into networking... I know mor people who are going into the networking field or who have their CCNA than MCSE. :crash

Most of those people are only doing it for the supposed "money" and not because they want to.

Personally, I'd look towards UNIX/Linux administration I'm not just saying that because I'm a firm believer in the OSes, but because you can get further with UNIX knowledge than you can with just networking.

·
we meat again
18,549 Posts
fjorn said:
Seems like everyone is getting into networking... I know mor people who are going into the networking field or who have their CCNA than MCSE. :crash

Most of those people are only doing it for the supposed "money" and not because they want to.
Up here in Canada, MCSE doesn't worth that much, I heard they worth much more in the US, is that right?

fjorn said:
Personally, I'd look towards UNIX/Linux administration I'm not just saying that because I'm a firm believer in the OSes, but because you can get further with UNIX knowledge than you can with just networking.
Ok, this I have to agree with you. :yesnod

But with Windows 2000/2003, you can get very far too. Anyway, Windows/UNIX each have their own advantages and disadvantages.

UNIX GUI still sucks though! :p

·
37,587 Posts
No clue on the MCSE, it's worthless to me because it's not my area, and an inferior product. :lol :lol Here, it's a very common place "anybody can become mcse certified" thing. It doesn't mean much etiehr.

w2k/2003 haven't played with too much, but from what I've seen still far behind on *nix stability/performance/capabilities for server grade.

X on *nix is getting better, but when you're after a stable server, I don't run X. Shouldn't be a requirement to run it. ;)

·
6,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys. The class is going to cover some of the stuff you mentioned so I am looking forward to it. Sucks there are so many nerds out there though.

Oh and the scandal
http://www.itt-tech.edu/update/
there is the press release, I believe they gov is checking to see if the statistics itt created are accurate.

·
we meat again
18,549 Posts
fjorn said:
No clue on the MCSE, it's worthless to me because it's not my area, and an inferior product. :lol :lol Here, it's a very common place "anybody can become mcse certified" thing. It doesn't mean much etiehr.

w2k/2003 haven't played with too much, but from what I've seen still far behind on *nix stability/performance/capabilities for server grade.

X on *nix is getting better, but when you're after a stable server, I don't run X. Shouldn't be a requirement to run it. ;)
I can tell you that, it's true, "anybody can become mcse certified" just by reading and doing practice questions, especially on the NT4. But with their Windows 2000 certifications, it not as easy anymore.

About stability/performance/capabilities for server, you'll be surprise what Server 2003 can do... :yesnod Even the 2000 was pretty powerful already. Depends on what though, for web servers, I think UNIX is better. Not too happy with IIS.

;)

·
6,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is an overall of the course I will be taking, went for orientation today.

Operating Systems 4
IT104P Introduction to Computer Programming 4
IT109P Microsoft Desktop Operating System 4
IT115P Visual Basic and GUI Applications 4
IT203P Database Development 4
IT220P Network Standards and Protocols 4
IT221P Microsoft Network Operating System I 4
IT222P Microsoft Network Operating System II 4
IT236P Novell NetWare 4
IT250P Linux Operating System 4
IT320P WAN Technology and Application 4
Network Technology and Service Integration 4
Network Systems Management 4
Network Development Capstone Project 4

General Education Courses
Composition I++ 4
College Mathematics I++ 4
Problem Solving 4
College Mathematics II++ 4
Composition II++ 4
Economic Problems++ 4
Group Dynamics 4

Technical Basic Courses
Strategies for the Technical Professional++ 4
Introduction to Personal Computers 4
Professional Procedures and Portfolio Development 4

Total

·
You will die alone
1,063 Posts
that is a pimpin 2 year degree! it looks like the first half of my 4 years' classes- I would make sure that those classes will transfer and be accepted at a graduate school though. Otherwise you will just have tech school hours- good luck

·
6,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Helix007 said:
that is a pimpin 2 year degree! it looks like the first half of my 4 years' classes- I would make sure that those classes will transfer and be accepted at a graduate school though. Otherwise you will just have tech school hours- good luck
freakin sweeeet thanks

·
37,587 Posts
valerossi said:
I can tell you that, it's true, "anybody can become mcse certified" just by reading and doing practice questions, especially on the NT4. But with their Windows 2000 certifications, it not as easy anymore.
Say, aren't your MCSE certified? :lol :lol :lol j/k Friendly jab there. ;)

About stability/performance/capabilities for server, you'll be surprise what Server 2003 can do... :yesnod Even the 2000 was pretty powerful already. Depends on what though, for web servers, I think UNIX is better. Not too happy with IIS.

;)
Apache is available to run on Windows....

UNIX/Linux has better threading/kernel processing, etc than what Windows is capable of doing. Put a UNIX/Linux box out as a file server, domain controller, webserver, etc, and you'll barely tax it. I was running an old P166 that wasn't even touching 1% CPU utilization and doing most of that. Memory utilization is handled differently on Linux/UNIX than it is on windows, but I was never hitting swap with a box that had 32MB ram. :sneaky

I don't have enough experience with W2003, but we're starting to get them in at work. It looks good, but the verdict has yet to be decided.

They each do have strengths and weaknesses, aside from gaming I'm having problems seeing anything but weaknesses on Windows. :lol :lol

All in good fun there Vale, I work side by side with Windows admins and do a fair amount of it myself but don't know a great deal. :thumbup

Jeff, that looks like an impressive course. Good luck for ya on it!

·
we meat again
18,549 Posts
fjorn said:
Say, aren't your MCSE certified? :lol j/k Friendly jab there. ;)
:lol

secret...

fjorn said:
Apache is available to run on Windows....

UNIX/Linux has better threading/kernel processing, etc than what Windows is capable of doing. Put a UNIX/Linux box out as a file server, domain controller, webserver, etc, and you'll barely tax it. I was running an old P166 that wasn't even touching 1% CPU utilization and doing most of that. Memory utilization is handled differently on Linux/UNIX than it is on windows, but I was never hitting swap with a box that had 32MB ram. :sneaky

I don't have enough experience with W2003, but we're starting to get them in at work. It looks good, but the verdict has yet to be decided.

They each do have strengths and weaknesses, aside from gaming I'm having problems seeing anything but weaknesses on Windows.

All in good fun there Vale, I work side by side with Windows admins and do a fair amount of it myself but don't know a great deal. :thumbup
Yeah I know about UNIX's low CPU usage and stuff, and I'm very impressed, and I know that's something Windows cannot do.

Hahaha... only gaming... c'mom, you know there is more than that... stop being so denial... :D

Don't worry, I know is in all fun... :p

Personally I've really touched 2003 myself, but everyone is telling me that is a big improvement over 2000, which I hope so. Most people didn't even have the chance to use 2000 in full potential, and they already came out 2003. :dunno

Btw, here something I read the other day, and pls don't bug me that it's from Microsoft's site, stats are stats... :p

http://www.microsoft.com/getthefacts

;)

·
we meat again
18,549 Posts
fjorn said:
Jeff, that looks like an impressive course. Good luck for ya on it!
Yeah, seems like they're covering quite a lot of stuff. Take your time, and try different things yourself at home other than just doing what the lab said. The key is to "use it or try it", cause theory is theory, you'll learn more with practical... hope you understand what I mean.

Good luck.

:thumbup

1 - 20 of 42 Posts