Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Ill tune anything
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
all the r1's that i have jetted with either a cheap can or full system are as follow's main jet 134, clip position 3 fron top (after market needle) air screw is down to every individual bike.
:hellobye

·
RANDOM VICTIM BASTARD S.O.B.
2,775 Posts
hey rick i have a 2001 r1 with devil high mount full system and need some jetting tips i am looking mainly for midrange use and some top

8,470 Posts
I seem 2 b ignorant on this matter so I must ask, why jet and when. If u have a full mig system or any other 4 that matter should u jet. Does it depend on the miles on the bike or the year. Or if the bike is running rich or not, how can u tell. Some people say u shouldn't jet an R1, it doesn't need it, r they wrong right, whats the DEAL!!!!!!!!:iamwithst

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
Those say it does not need any jetting are probably scared already of the number of HP's in the R1 and think of everyone else best by saying "the R1 doesn't need any jet-kit".

The reason I do it is because it DOES give more HP's but it also can make my bike run better in midrange since I've lost some HP's there after adding the MIG high-pipe.

Having the bike run too lean is NOT good for the bike. Therefore you should re-jet it.. either by adding aftermarket needles or adjusting the stock ones.

If u have a full mig system or any other 4 that matter should u jet
Yes! Since a full system REALLY makes the bike run WAY too lean. Anyone who ads a full exhaust system should add a jet-kit. This will balance out the HP curve and make the bike run better.

//as always I could be wrong :D

8,470 Posts
So swedie, lemme get this str8, I know u got the mig full system, correct, u felt a loss in midrange, so u jetted it. Now it feels better in mid's, what type of jet kit did u buy? So basically, when u get ur bike jetted, ur just replacing needles and readjusting them from their stock position, right. The reason i was told not 2 jet the bike is becuz it makes it less reliable. Is this true. Also, person who sold me the R1 said I shouldn't do any engine work 2 it. Once u start doin that it just fucks up the bike? But ur bike is doin ok sinc u did the mig & jet , right, how long have u had it?:hellobye

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
Well.. I haven't felt any difference.. argh. How should i tell you this..

I had the CBR before and jetted that one and felt a big difference.

I bought my R1 in October and I haven't done more than 80 miles on it so far.
But I do feal that midrange is a bit weak.

The jet-kit contains: 4 needles with adjustable settings and bigger main jets which will allow more fuel. Also new springs (feathers umh).

Those who say that a jet-kit makes the R1 unstable is fools. They haven't got a properly set up jet-kit. Of course if it's sloppy work. You'll get flat spots in the Hp curve.

Just bring the bike to an authorized dyno jet center and they'll fix everything for ya.

I myself installed the jet-kit on my CBR and it worked perfectly from the beginning.

I have not yet recieved my Ivan's jet-kit...

8,470 Posts
Well Swedie, keep me posted cuz I am interested in more HP, not that the bike needs any, but i like 2 go 2 the extreme. I read that the best thing 2 do if U wanna feel ur bike is faster is get lighter wheels, sth'n about unsprung weight. Well as soon as u get the jet kit and it's installed please tell me how it worked out. BTW, where exactly do u feel a slumpy midrange, @ what rpm and gear? Just curious?:yesnod

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
Well.. I just feel that something is not right.. We'll see when the season starts again.
I'm not saying I got a flat-spot. But I feel there can be more HP to get...

I'll let you know when I've installed the jet-kit.

8,470 Posts
BTW Swedie, I read in ur profile that u have a '98 R1 /w '00 Gearbox and New clutch, were u having problems with the original tranny, and how much did it cost u 2 install, how much were the parts & labor is what I really wanna know?

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
This was done by the previous owner. His 2nd failed I believe so he change the gearbox to a '00 and also put in a new clutch while he had the engine down.

Cost around 350-400 dollars in total since he did it himself. Would otherwise be a cost near 1200 dollars.

·
Ill tune anything
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JETTING AND THE MYSTERY

Why jet?
Well it's up to you, if you ride like you just stole it then you will know it needs jetting, but if ride like your on ice then you won't know but my advice is the same as swedie go to your local dyno centre and get people like me to do it (it helps pay for the beer habit) as for horse power sometimes you gain a little sometimes you lose, if you want more power then forget mig pipes go for a full ackropovic system dyno kit and dont forget the k&n air filter if it's fitted right then you should have around 152 brake horse and if you still want more then you should be racing or your a liar. The dyno sheet shows an r1 thats not quite done but the horse power is there.
Hope this clears up a few things.

The big bang engine is going back on the dyno soon with the first test being done at the end of Jan (weather permitting)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
rick. I got the MIG highpipe and K/N airfilter.
Will I not notice any difference in HP after adding the Ivan's you say?

·
Ill tune anything
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mig

swedie
i think you will find no more horse power but a smoother curve it's very hard to make a prediction cos of atmospherec conditions ie: how cold it is and how damp and doe's your local dyno have proper air supply that is variable the type of extract is important other wise you end up burning old air.

do you travel to watch world superbikes cos if so and you come to brands hatch i will put your bike on our dyno to see what curves we get from your dyno.

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
hah! Yeah, sure. Would be cool to get the bike by boat to England, take no more than 24 hours. Then I can just ride to that place..

How much does a ticket to into brands hatch cost?

·
Just a Bum
40 Posts
Hmm... I just bought a full Hindle high-mount and I've been trying to decide what to do about jetting. I talked to Jim Sheldon at speedmadness.com and he said Ivan's kit worked great for him with the hindle, but I read on Ivan's site that he doesn't recommend it with 4-2-1 systems so I called him and he said to just go up 1 main jet size, aka to 132.5, and turn out the mixture screw 4 turns. He said that was the best thing to do for 4-2-1 systems,. He said that his kit would be all screwed up under 4000rpm due to resonance on anything other than the 4-1 akro system.
For me it all came down to price, $2000 canadian vs $780 for the akro vs hindle :eek:

8,470 Posts
Hey Swedie, just got off the phone wit Ivan, and now i'm confused. I thought I had a full mig-system, but he say's I might have a slip-on. Now i'm not sure. Does ur bike have a slip-on aswell or full? Maybe u can describe how it looks under the bike so I can decipher what the hell I have. He also said if it's full Mig, not 2 jet it. Something about loss of power btwn 3-4000 rpm! BTW, did u get ur jets yet, r they installed, lemme know!

·
Just a Bum
40 Posts
If you replaced the headers and the EXUP valve, you have a full system. If you just replaced the endcan, you have a slip-on.

8,470 Posts
Thanx skibum 4 ur reply, but I didn't replace anything. The bike came wit the mig. I removed the lower cowling this wknd 2 polish the pipe so I got a good look under but i'm not sure if it's full or slip?

·
Do or do not, there is no try
2,671 Posts
Yeah, I heard Yammie filters were the best for an R1 also

1 - 20 of 28 Posts