Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
One Liter Duck Eater
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I bought this thing as a project bike (blown motors?!). I’ll get into that in a minute.

The story on this bike is... the guy that I bought it from picked it up in a different city. Got the paperwork, and rode it home. It had 45xx miles on it. He said that when he rode it, he was revving the hell out of it every time he rode it. Long story short, he detonated the motor. He only put 200+ miles on it. He then sent it to a shade tree mechanic to get the motor rebuilt. Sounds like he paid a princely sum to get it built (3-4K). He said that the motor was stroked out to a 1127 (he believes). Not sure how much fact is in this because I can’t find info on a 1127cc kit. After he got it back, a valve came loose and put a nice hole in one of the pistons and a nice hole in the head. He went back to this same mechanic and tried to get it fixed. The bike sat at the mechanics house and after a while, the mechanic fell on hard times and was not able to do the work. The owner (the guy I bought it from) had to get the bike and take it home. After getting enough money together, the former owner bought a 02 R1 motor and tried to put it back together. I guess he lost interest and posted it for sale on Craigslist. He listed it for $1200 o.b.o. and I was going to haggle it down to $800. The day that I was supposed to go see it, he got sick. Needless to say, I wasn’t going to go see it anytime soon after he told me that he wasn’t feeling well. Fast forward 3 weeks when I started looking on Craigslist again, and BAM!!! The bike was still listed but now the price dropped to $750. I couldn’t pass this up! I contacted the owner again to make sure that they were feeling better and told him that I’m still interested. I went to go look at it and he had extra engines and parts everywhere. I looked everything over as much as possible. Everything looked good. He said that he just wanted it gone and he would take $650. I took my time deciding and asked about the missing exhaust. He said he had it and pulled out a full Yoshimura exhaust that was in pretty good condition for it’s age. I told him to consider the bike sold after that. He gave me every part he had. Damaged engines, two heads, aftermarket parts, everything. Trying to shoehorn all of the stuff into a KIA Soul was a treat (excluding the motorcycle of course). I loaded the bike on the trailer and off I went. I paid $650. I’ll take some pictures when I get home.

From what I can tell so far, the bike has...

Graves upper triple clamp
Graves clipons
Full Yosh exhaust
Powder coated frame and swingarm (Yamaha blue, as close as possible anyway)
Chrome bits (🤮)
Scott’s steering damper (in great shape with mounting hardware)
The lip of the rims are polished
New chain and sprockets (Not sure if it is a 520 chain conversion).

I’m not a stranger to bike builds. Every motorcycle that I’ve owned with the exception of my current 09 R1 has been a wrecked bike. Can’t wait to get started.

·
One Liter Duck Eater
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tear down is complete. Now, I just need to wait for my parts to come in.

·
One Liter Duck Eater
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After going through the tear down, this bike has a lot of issues. The tabs on the headlight are broken, subframe is bent, cracked upper fairing, unsecured upper fairing (only held on by the mirror block-offs).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts