Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Wants an '04
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just bought a 2003 R1 with only 1700 miles. Has a MIG dual-muffler high pipe slip-on, PC-III, K&N filter, Graves slide stops, -1 front sprocket, and was supposedly tuned/mapped on a dyno. It runs strong for sure, but does seem to be a bit fluffy on the bottom.

Read here on the forum about two mods I might be interested in -- an "airbox mod" and Graves or Factory velocity stacks. Any thoughts/suggestions on either of these mods? I'm not looking to get 160hp out of the bike or anything; just want to do the "easy" stuff that will help the bike run better.

I still need to look under the hood to see if the AIS system was removed or not, but if it wasn't can someone refer me to a post that outlines that whole procedure? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
The AIS remove is easy to see just look in from the left side of the bike and see if the AIS System is in place. Graves sells AIS removal plugs and it comes with instructions or do a search...I havn't installed them yet myself...winter project this winter

·
For the Love of.........Riding
6,669 Posts
Tib said:
The AIS remove is easy to see just look in from the left side of the bike and see if the AIS System is in place. Graves sells AIS removal plugs and it comes with instructions or do a search...I havn't installed them yet myself...winter project this winter

I thought they were a pain in the arse to get out :dunno but I've been happy and pop free since.

·
Frank the Tank RPTB
6,223 Posts
I dont know much about the Mig slip ons, but honestly i think the 02-03 R1's are more responsive down low than the newer ones. I would not do a full system , if you want low end response. A Graves airbox would be a nice addition i would think. If they are still available.

·
Beer me
3,889 Posts
pg_rider said:
Just moved here last month -- we're on the northeast part of town, near Markscheffel and N. Carefree. You?
I'm on the Northwest side, in the Mountain Shadows area. If you're interested, we have a Yahoo group that we use for posting rides in the area and other info. Although it is pretty late in the season...

·
Akrapovic xplane
6,024 Posts
My 02 is basically perfomance mod-free and its fast as fvkc. Now, my best mod is sharpening my riding skills to match the power of the 1. Btw post some pics of your bike :hellobye

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Tib said:
The thing that graves sells, is that the smog block off plates or is that somethin different again? :confused:

Nice thread, im in the process of doing a few minor mods, just done PC3 and BMC air filter, looking to do the graves velocity stacks and slid stops soon.

Only problem is my clutch is slipping now, gonna do the twin diaphram spring mod and see how it feels then, supposed to be a more positve throttle response since your not loosing any power through the clutch slipping. Maybe worth a go, will let you know once ive done it. :crash

·
Registered
169 Posts
If it's "fluffy" as you stated, you might want to synch the throttle bodies and check the plugs as well. Sounds like the bike has been pretty well modded already (easy ones anyway). The v-stacks along with that PC3 should smooth the powerband, but arent' going to give you that big HIT you're looking for. I suggest a good tune-up and put it on the Dyno and check the a/f ratios again.

My 03 with PC3, v-stacks and slip-on only is pretty damn quick. Just some tips, hang tight I'm sure more good ones to follow.

·
Life: Comedy or Tragedy?
37,587 Posts
I've got the following on mine:

Graves V-Stacks
Graves Slide Stops
Grave Ti-Slip on
PCIIIr
BMC Race Air Filter

I loaded a map from Graves for a similar setup, but with full exhaust. I need to get the AIS plugs in this winter, and replace the spark plugs then I'm going to get a custom map for it. I'll also be checking the bike over this winter and making minor adjustments on it as I can.

IMO, a high pipe will cause some performance loss due to the sharp bends. I prefer the standard mount exhasts myself.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
R1LOON said:
The thing that graves sells, is that the smog block off plates or is that somethin different again? :confused:

Nice thread, im in the process of doing a few minor mods, just done PC3 and BMC air filter, looking to do the graves velocity stacks and slid stops soon.

Only problem is my clutch is slipping now, gonna do the twin diaphram spring mod and see how it feels then, supposed to be a more positve throttle response since your not loosing any power through the clutch slipping. Maybe worth a go, will let you know once ive done it. :crash
Well the ones for the 02-03 are actually plugs that plug the ports for the ais system. Like I said I havn't installed them myself yet...it's going to be part of the bikes mods this winter. I've just read up on them a few times. The smogs plates are for the 04-05 and are actually plates. Just check them out on graves website...and you'll see the difference.

·
Wants an '04
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
uajeff said:
If it's "fluffy" as you stated, you might want to synch the throttle bodies and check the plugs as well. Sounds like the bike has been pretty well modded already (easy ones anyway). The v-stacks along with that PC3 should smooth the powerband, but arent' going to give you that big HIT you're looking for. I suggest a good tune-up and put it on the Dyno and check the a/f ratios again.

My 03 with PC3, v-stacks and slip-on only is pretty damn quick. Just some tips, hang tight I'm sure more good ones to follow.
Good tips -- will do the plugs just to be sure, and I need to do the AIS as well. No recommendations on the "airbox mod" huh? Did it lose it's popularity or what?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts