Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
From R6 To R1
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys! New to R1-Forum.com so stick with me I'm new at this ! anyway I have some questions for all you R1 owners. I have owned a 2008 R6 for 3 years and decided to give it to my wife and get a 07 R1 with 8500 miles red in color and I paid 6000.00 for the bike. Well I bought it and the first thing I noticed was the handling issue it has Pirelli Diablo tires and the rear is a 200/50/17 didn't realize the tire size till I got home with the bike it doesn't want to take corners at all, and it wants to get squirly on me. Is the tire size what makes that problem?? and does the pilot power 2ct's work well on the R1 ?? I have them on my R6 ! thanks!!!

·
3,724 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, lets see some pics of the bike!

Pilot power works very well on the R1, coming from an R6, I'd recommend 190/55. The tire will def. effect how it handles, the 55 profile is great for faster turn-in. If you're planning to do track-days, I'd recommend a more track oriented tire like Diablo Rosso Corsa or Corsa 3.

·
Worry About The Addiction
384 Posts
i would say its the tire mine has a 190/50 others will chime in though :fact

+1 on bestman77

·
One 1 to Rule Them All
4,624 Posts
I have the PP-2CT's on my '07 and they work pretty well, a little skittish at the very edge until they are broken in. Ditch the 200 for a 190. Check tire pressures every ride, a couple of psi down and it'll feel like turning a truck. Check steering head every month or so. The dampner will hide a loose head until it starts affecting your turn in under braking.

Oh, and welcome back Bestman :)

·
Lean Junky
437 Posts
I went from a Honda 1000RR to my 08 R1, which is the same as your bike. At first, I also noticed that compared to my Honda, the R1 didn't turn in as easily. However, I adapted to it (a hair more handlebar input) and got my suspension set up. Now, I couldn't tell the difference between my Honda and the R1 (as far as turn-in goes) to save my life. I'm also on Bridgestone BT016 190/50's rear.

I wouldn't think it's the tire. I don't know how long you've had the bike but maybe get used to riding it for a while. Also, a 600 will always feel easier to turn-in with than a liter bike. I say ride her around for a while and then see.

·
From R6 To R1
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the quick replys I would say the tires still have about 500 to 1000 miles left on them, So im gonna ride it till they need changing then go with a 190/50/17 as far as suspension goes im new to doing all kinds of mods all my bikes have all been stock so i dont know what u guys mean when you say adjust your suspension, does the steering damper have an adjustment on it??? or is it set from factory????

·
From R6 To R1
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have the pp-2ct's on my '07 and they work pretty well, a little skittish at the very edge until they are broken in. Ditch the 200 for a 190. Check tire pressures every ride, a couple of psi down and it'll feel like turning a truck. Check steering head every month or so. The dampner will hide a loose head until it starts affecting your turn in under braking.

Oh, and welcome back bestman :)
steering head ?????????

·
R1-014 Dragon Squadron #200
2,555 Posts
200 is definitely to big of a tire, unless you're "into" that kind of thing. 190/50 or 190/55 is what should be ran on the rear. 190/50 is stock, 190/55 but feels a bit better as said above for turn-in. +1 on pics as well!

·
arrivederci
8,674 Posts
your r1 is going to feel like a truck after all that seat time on the r6.

get the Diablos off and some Pures in 190/55 and 120/70 on.

set your suspension up.

then re-evaluate

·
One 1 to Rule Them All
4,624 Posts
steering head ?????????
Triple clamp, steering head, the part that connects your forks to your frame...the big nut right next to the keyhole...

Put your bike on a rear stand, jack up the bike by the headers until the front wheel is slightly off the ground. (make sure the bike is stable) Grab the bottom of the front forks and try to rock the forks back and forth (front to back). If you feel any play then you need to tighten your steering head bearing and bolt. (instructions in owners manual). If you can rock it that means it's moving back and forth during braking and acceleration... not good.

Holy S**t, where the heck you been bro, its been a while!!
Welcome back is right :lol, glad to see you back on, I excpect to see you in a track day or two this year?!?, and def. next R1-forum track day!
Hey bud, been around, mostly lurking. Work cut back on access. I expect to see you at the Gap and maybe a few rides around the area brutha' :yesnod

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 04 and use Q2's 190/55...they feel real good...quick turn in and good feel...and I got a kick ass deal on them too...if your in the San Diego area I know someone that does suspention set ups...great guy been racing for 12yrs...anyway...have a good one

·
02 R1... Love it!
39 Posts
I have PP 2CT's and love them! 190/55 will never go back to 190/50 just way to much difference in the turns. And just as the others have said the suspension is like night and day when you get it tuned right!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts