Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

just got my redline stand from the group buy!

459 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  KneeDragger77 
#1 · (Edited)
what do i need to prep for painting a bare metal stand?

thanx ian! looks great.

i want to paint it, what do i need to do to prep it before i spray paint it?

should i remove the wheels to paint it also? thanx again!

Luke

#3 ·
Ya going to paint or powdercoat?
If you are just painting I would not worry about taking anything off aslong as you use tape to keep the paint from where you dont want it. If the stuff is easy to take off the do it :)

Dont forget to use primer :)

#8 ·
Luckydevil said:
anyone? do i need to go over it with some sand paper or just wipe it down with some alcohol? i planned on using that heavy duty black grill paint.
Just got mine today also. As you probably noticed it's strong as hell, but it's pretty greasy/oily. Sounding like a ******* I'm thinking denatured alcohol, $4 buck a gallon, and then decide if I should powder coat it.

If you not going to do that, just leave it.

I can get crap power coated for nothing, maybe I'll hook something up.:thumbup

#9 ·
Mine was powder coated, what is yours? If you dont leave it out in the weather much dont worry to much. I would clean it real well with alcohol, Prime it, and paint it. (if its not a flat paint) I like to clear coat stuff, but thats just me. If it will be outside a lot, take it to a powder coater. It will last a lot longer.;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.