Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I was out riding couldnt of been a better day when i stopped my bike noticed the fans were going so i cycled the key on till they stopped then turned the ignition back off. Well when I went to get back on maybe 5 min later I turn the bike on and everything seems cool but then go to hit the start button and absolutely nothing from the starter or starter relay.Ok so I've checked everything replaced battery and starter relay still nothing all fuses are great and everything checks out fine on the diag.So can anyone help me out why would there be absolutely nothing on the starter button yet tested it and it's great.??

·
Registered
617 Posts
This is going to sound stupid simple, but did you check the battery? If it was on the way out, and you left it on to power the fans (even for just 5 minutes), the battery could be drained.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Came back to check on this, reread your post, and noticed you replaced the battery. Silly me, I should learn how to read. That being said, sound like a few things possible issues:
1) kickstand switch is faulty
2) is the bike in gear when you attempt to start? (doubt it or you'd probably figured it out by now, but worth asking)
3) the start button might have corrosion or gone bad entirely (it's a 13 year old bike after all).
Have you taken a look at any of that yet?

·
skers
194 Posts
Take apart the start switch and look at the contacts. I had that issue intermittently. Contacts were corroded slightly and dirty with debris from 13yrs of riding. Cleaned them up and has been starting right up ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Tested +; Motorcycle Fever
616 Posts
I hate electrical problems! It's easy to assume there is a relationship between events, when there may not be. My advice is just debug the issue at hand without too many assumptions. If you hit the starter button and get nada, but otherwise electrical system seems ok, start there as buechler5 suggests, then work through systematically. The factory service manual does have a troubleshooting section for electrical issues, but I've not had great success using it in the past. Look for obvious things: burned or corroded contacts or molex connectors, fuses, wires, etc.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
check the voltage on the battery
jump the large contacts one the solenoid to make sure the starter works and if it does then check the trigger wire for the solenoid to see if its getting power with a multimeter or test light.

you should learn to do some diagnosis before you go replacing parts blindly, a lot fo the time people replace good parts incorrectly adding to the problems they have.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok so I was out riding couldnt of been a better day when i stopped my bike noticed the fans were going so i cycled the key on till they stopped then turned the ignition back off. Well when I went to get back on maybe 5 min later I turn the bike on and everything seems cool but then go to hit the start button and absolutely nothing from the starter or starter relay.Ok so I've checked everything replaced battery and starter relay still nothing all fuses are great and everything checks out fine on the diag.So can anyone help me out why would there be absolutely nothing on the starter button yet tested it and it's great.??
I had something similar happen to me but it ended up being the starter relay. I would check the neutral switch and the kickstand switch to make sure its not tripping the safety. I would bypassing the starter relay with some metal between the two metal prongs that the battery is connected to, if it turns on then the problem is something before the starter relay (or starter relay). (put bike in neutral before doing this because if it works it'll bypass the safety and run.)

·
Registered
36 Posts
This sounds really stupid, so forgive me.. you haven’t pressed the kill switch on by any chance? Or has some joker done that whilst you were away from the bike?

Some joker did that to me once...

Also had the wire going into the main fuse go on me once too, you checked the fuses, have you checked the wires going into the connectors ?

Hope you get it sorted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 10 of 10 Posts