Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· 05 R1 Raven
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new to the thread and looking for some tips/advice.
I just picked up an 05 R1 Raven today and love it so far.

My first bike was a 1997 FZR-600. I took a year off do to financial reasons and am now back in the saddle. I am actually more comfortable on the 05 R1 than I was on the 97 600 oddly.

I am planning to have it inspected and the most recent tune up done with a full fluid flush and lube.

What things have you guys/ladies learned over the years that you wish someone would have told you about our bikes? tips/tricks?

what fluids/lubes are you guys using?

I have been browsing the forums and will continue to do so but anything anyone wants to toss my way such as info or links would be awesome.

Thanks and happy riding!:cool:

· Registered
1,687 Posts
I don't think an '05 will need much work unless it's got a ton of miles. I bought an '05 Raven in January and I did an oil change, chain adjustment, lube, inspected tires, adjusted tire pressure, got a new battery and that was it.

As for extras:
Installed battery tender, a must imo, especially if you get HIDs or other high powered goodies.
Installed HIDs
Built my own angel eyes
Installed alarm

In the future-
Stainless steel brake lines
New brake reservoirs
Flush brake fluid
Coolant? Coolant lasts forever though.
License plate light. Had one, but now I don't thanks to a drunk and high friend assisting me while doing some work.

· 14k+ posts and not one helpful
14,358 Posts
Hey, welcome to the forums! Great year bike you picked up there!

Best thing I can tell you about the 05... Set your suspension for yourself and also go -1 on the front sprocket. They really are amazing bikes!

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Hey, welcome to the forums! Great year bike you picked up there!

Best thing I can tell you about the 05... Set your suspension for yourself and also go -1 on the front sprocket. They really are amazing bikes!
Where does the -1 on the front sprocket help you? Wouldn't you have to already be going pretty fast for that to be useable? I would think -1 at normal speeds would just make the front wheel come up easier.

· Registered
1,687 Posts
it will give better acceleration from what i hear. a lot of people do a -1 +2. i personally like to keep my gearing stock.
But mine has so much acceleration that it's hard to keep the front wheel down. I don't think adjusting the gearing would help unless I was already doing 75mph+. I was just curious where exactly he was using this extra acceleration.

· Registered
1,600 Posts
apparently its good for off the line or low end. they also have their bikes slammed (another mod i refuse to do). my guess is they put more weight on the front of the bike and roll the throttle instead of cracking it at first.

· Registered
1,687 Posts
apparently its good for off the line or low end. they also have their bikes slammed (another mod i refuse to do). my guess is they put more weight on the front of the bike and roll the throttle instead of cracking it at first.
That's what I'm saying though, if you have to roll on the throttle slowly there's no point in having more acceleration because you're not using all of what you already have.

· Registered
1,600 Posts
That's what I'm saying though, if you have to roll on the throttle slowly there's no point in having more acceleration because you're not using all of what you already have.
its just my guess. it will always come down to the skill of the rider. the wheel coming up isnt that big of a deal though, as long as its not a looping risk. i've had my wheel come up a couple of times. sometimes its not even really noticable.

· I bring nothing to the table!
319 Posts
Great bike! In my humble (and biased lol) opinion it's the best R1! Aesthetically it's awesome and the engine is plenty potent for most street/road riders.

They do have a fairly tall first gear though, hence why it's a fairly common mod to drop a tooth on the front to bring the rev range forward a bit.

Enjoy!

· R1, "One Hell of an Addiction"
14,034 Posts
Where does the -1 on the front sprocket help you? Wouldn't you have to already be going pretty fast for that to be useable? I would think -1 at normal speeds would just make the front wheel come up easier.
it will give better acceleration from what i hear. a lot of people do a -1 +2. i personally like to keep my gearing stock.
But mine has so much acceleration that it's hard to keep the front wheel down. I don't think adjusting the gearing would help unless I was already doing 75mph+. I was just curious where exactly he was using this extra acceleration.
Kept my gearing stock for the 1st 7 years, then went -1 +2 and went with a 520 chain, it is so much more fun to ride. The acceleration in every gear is insane. I love it and will definitely keep it this way.

OP: Welcome to the site, great bike!!!

· 05 R1 Raven
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just had my chain and sprockets replaced today and man does it feel so much smoother. I stuck with the stock gearing for now because the bike has plenty of get up and go for me at the moment. I did go with a 520 chain though to cut down on some rotating mass. I have't opened her up yet because I was riding home in commute traffic from the shop but I will be doing so this weekend to see if I can feel the difference or not.

· 05 R1 Raven
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
its just my guess. it will always come down to the skill of the rider. the wheel coming up isnt that big of a deal though, as long as its not a looping risk. i've had my wheel come up a couple of times. sometimes its not even really noticable.
My wheel came up the other day when I opened her up in first and I didn't even notice it until it came down when I shifted. It was a pretty cool feeling though I can't lie.

· Registered
1,600 Posts
My wheel came up the other day when I opened her up in first and I didn't even notice it until it came down when I shifted. It was a pretty cool feeling though I can't lie.
if you mount a gopro on the mid fairing, u can usually get some cool footage of what the bike is doing. thats actually how i found out my wheel was coming up lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.