Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Track-addicted
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, I cant wheelie for sheit! I try to evry once in a while, but cant really get it up. It seems to wanna come up much easier with my girl on it but I dont want it to come up with her on it! I try without the clutch but it just flies forward so what am i doing wrong??? :dunno

·
Until it sleeps
5,432 Posts
first gear, get to 5k, hold it there for a second slightly let off the gas, and then hammer it. Becareful cuz that front will come up fast. Thats it i can only hold it up there for about 1 second, maybe 2, panic and let off.

·
me a redneck?
564 Posts
2nd gear going abot 68 mph let off front end goes down and pre loads front shocks then just get into it real fast and front tire will magically float. It may take a few tries but keep at it it will work It works best for me on a slight up hill strait away.

·
Ride it, don't eat it...
176 Posts
Rwon,

With your girl on the back, there's more weight biased to the rear end of the bike; hence, easier feeling wheelies. The R1's natural riding position is forward, and if you slide back in the saddle a few inches this helps get the front end up easier. Also, if your gas tank if full, you've just got that much more weight to deal with.

Careful with wheelies off the throttle. If you just whack the throttle open, you may end up picking up your bike with a broom. Second gear at 5k rpm does let the bike come up slower, or less abrupt than in first gear, but you also are dealing with higher speeds when you do get it off the ground.

Some people like to "clutch-up" and feel it's easier to control. I used the clutch on my R6 to get it up, but on the One, no need (for me.)
Take your time, as these stunts take a while to master.

K

·
0 Posts
Rwon said:
okay, I cant wheelie for sheit! I try to evry once in a while, but cant really get it up. It seems to wanna come up much easier with my girl on it but I dont want it to come up with her on it! I try without the clutch but it just flies forward so what am i doing wrong??? :dunno

i dont think you are ready to wheelie.

·
Until it sleeps
5,432 Posts
Im prob not ready for a wheelie but how else r u guna be ready if u dont ever try em? im guna for that 2nd gear anyway...1st is just too scary

·
Motorcycle junky
210 Posts
I roll mine up in first, Then click 2nd. (without the clutch)
(Are we all O.K. on upshifting without the clutch??) Thought so..
OR I clutch it in second around 65 or 70mph, then click third..

If I'm doing stand ups, I bounce it up in second at about 50 or 60mph.. (right where the power is ABOUT to come on) not where its peaky.

If I'm in third I bounce it up around 75 or 80mph... same as above...

For people trying it for the first time,... If you still have the EXUP exhaust valve on the bike (like me) it will hit hard if you try it in the wrong part of the power curve. (you know, the power G spot). Start your learning at a lower rpm first, then build up to being able to manage the hit thats about to come..

I've ridden wheelies on mine with EXUP, and others without EXUP.
The EXUP makes a big difference in the way a bike handles in a wheelie... Thats why I say to people wanting to learn on an R1 that has EXUP, do it in the lower rpm range first!!!! The moment that valve opens up, you better be ready for it.. The EXUP effect makes the power band hit a little stronger.. The reason for this is that the exhaust is all the sudden opened up all the way,.. where as without EXUP, the pipe is free flowing and does not have a sudden change.. This is why some people have a hard time learning on R1's.. NOT ALL OF US, BUT SOME.. Would I get rid of the EXUP?? NO.... I like it!!!

It took me about a month or so to wheelie mine right, after doing wheelies on 600's forever.. Its just a different beast.. Do like I did, and learn in the lower rpm's first.. YEA, I KNOW,.. Wonderful lecture... Its just what I've learned....

Anybody want to add anything???

·
I am Evil Homer
1,628 Posts
Yeah, don't power up an R1 in first, you'll end up on your ass. For me stand-ups are easier, because you can use your weight to more of an advantage. get goin in second, right at the very bottom of the power band, close the throttle, bounce the pegs (not the bars) and smoothly but quickly open the throttle. You want to use the pegs because it's hard to bounce the bars and then quickly get your weight back, you tend to cancel out the bounce because your weight is forward. This works well on my bike. Becareful as second might come up too quick on an R1. Try to roll on the throttle smoothly, when you snap it open the front end will come up too quick, if you roll it smooth but fast you'll be able to feel the front end coming up and be able to use throttle control to keep it up and not over.

One more thing COVER THE REAR BREAK!!!!!!

·
I EAT SKYLINES!
2,162 Posts
ROTFLOL!

Ramses and I just did taht too!

:D

Go Son!

We can wheelie all the way to the end of First using throttle control.

Going to start trying 2nd Gear wheelies shortly.

·
http://jiggyjigg.com/ipb
452 Posts
Rwon ~ Dont sweat it, you will get it and you will have a big dirty grin on your face when you finally find that spot where you can bring it up at will. I'm far from a wheelie expert I just know what works for Me. I have learnt to bring it up in first at will and keep it, learning to bring it up in first teaches you to use throttle control which can only be good for you. *~ Roll it out to about 4500..5000 in first and you can feel the engine in that sweet spot, give it a nice lil snap on the throttle but not all the way and you will feel it pop up. *~ you do it too quick and too much of a handful and you will scare yourself. *~ play with bringing on the power a lil more and you will feel the front come up..*~ Do it again more and it will come up higher. *~ get use to the feeling. The sooner you bring it up in first the longer you can hold it, til it reaches the rev limit and then it will come down. *~ Learning in first you dont need to bounce or clutch it up.* Just make sure your foot is covering the back brake and your comfortable in the seat before you bring it up.~ Enjoy and have fun doing it. *~ But I give you fair warning. *~ IT is Very addictive. Soon you wont look at a straight stretch of road without thinking " what if I just popped it up here..." *lol*~

P.s~ I look for excuses every lunch to go play on the R1. *grin*~ And drag Gcain out from the office for a partner in crime.

~R~

·
Registered
134 Posts
It seems to wanna come up much easier with my girl on it but I dont want it to come up with her on it!

Yeah me too, i like it to come up also some other chick on it sometimes! :p

·
clutch it up!!!
27,445 Posts
go to second gear. at about 45mph. pull the clutch in, rev to about 9k rpm, lean A LITTLE BIT FORWARD and release the clutch. once you get the hang of it dont lean forward anymore

·
I've eaten my R1
1,233 Posts
Only other thing to mention is make sure you're butt's up against the back of the seat...touching the stop.

If you're really hammering the throttle in first gear and the gauge cluster isn't making an imprint on your face shield, you might just be spinning up the rear. I know I'm used to clawing to the front wheel and have to make a concious effort to slide back for wheelies. Makes a HUGE difference.

Also, if you're up on the tank and you do wheelies, R1's like to weave.

·
2WheeLife.com
1,882 Posts
All good advice, try 'em out and see which 1 you like the best. I Personally do 85% of my wheelies in 1st (still mastering 2nd). rolling on first let it come up to 5k...bout 30mph, and give her a twist, not too much or you'll loop, and try and hold it steady using small wrist movements to come up or down. Good luck!
1 more thing, I know it can be hard, but try not to let the bike come down too hard so you dont mess up fork seals n shit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Learn to bring it up in 1st, as far as getting a feel for the wheelie. Once you become familiar with that feeling move to 2nd. Here's where you'll be able to control them.
I clutch mine and it seems to work best for me. 2nd gear around 4000-5000 rpm, pull the clutch in just enough to hear the engine scream as the rpms move up by about 2000-3000. Let go of the clutch in one sweep motion as you apply more throttle. The amount of throttle you use at this step will dictate how far up you want to bring the wheelie initially. I usually apply enough to bring it half way up and then modulate to reach the balance point. But I got to tell you, reaching the BP requires a "Leap of Faith" of sorts because it pretty high up there...Practice the clutch method by chasing them in the beginning...I hope this helps...:) Good luck...

·
GO CHIEFS!!!
6,870 Posts
I think I'm about where you are looney. I can pop it up in 1st but it scares the shit out of me and I put it back down after like 1-2 seconds... I've been funking with 2nd gear, but it only comes up like a foot or so.... I think I might start trying 2nd gear stand ups as I feel that being up on top of the bike would help give me more control and would allow me to use more of my body weight to help get her up.... Anyway, I always have my right foot touching the lever, ready to bring her back to earth...

- BA

1 - 20 of 21 Posts