Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Mad Thou Rider
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am usually good at lubing my chain, and terrible at cleaning it.

I got around to leaning it today with kerosene, but I did it the lazy way and did it on the bike.

Of course that means I rotated the wheel a couple times with a kerosene covered glove.

Is kerosene on tyres going to cause an issue?

I wouldnt have had this problem if I had stuck with my usual lazyness of not cleaning! . . .

·
Administrator
24,829 Posts
No issues... just go ride and it will be like it was never there.

·
R1, "One Hell of an Addiction"
13,996 Posts
I am usually good at lubing my chain, and terrible at cleaning it.

I got around to leaning (you meant cleaning right?)it today with kerosene, but I did it the lazy way and did it on the bike.

Of course that means I rotated the wheel a couple times with a kerosene covered glove.

Is kerosene on tyres going to cause an issue?

I wouldnt have had this problem if I had stuck with my usual lazyness of not cleaning! . . .
I read many of your posts and know your very knowledgeable, kerosene is a good cleaner but why not WD40. (everybody, please don't turn this into another WD40 thread) I was just wondering why Tim did go the usual rout for cleaning the chain while on the bike. And BTW, don't be lazy with your chain. You of all people know it's easy enough to give it a quick wipe down with WD after every ride.:drink:

Go do a burnout and find out. Video or it didn't happen, by the way! :hammer:
LOL, LOL!!!!!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Kero won't affect rubber, which is why it's recommended for O-ring chains.

I wouldn't worry too much about cleaning it, unless you like your bikes to look immaculate. If you run dry lube, the rollers stay clean.

I might clean it after winter if it looks really bad.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
24,829 Posts
Why pay $9 + $7 shipping for a 10 ounce bottle when you can buy kerosene for less than $3 a gallon to do the exact same job. :dunno

·
Roadclosed racing Instructor
738 Posts
Cause it works great and can be sprayed directly without a ton of over splash.

Kerosene could be sprayed out of a Sure Shot which would be nicer.

·
Administrator
24,829 Posts
You don't need to spray kerosene... you just wet a rag and go to town on the chain. :2bitchsla

·
The law is grey
972 Posts
Why pay $9 + $7 shipping for a 10 ounce bottle when you can buy kerosene for less than $3 a gallon to do the exact same job. :dunno
I understand what your saying. I make the same argument to my friends who spent $16+ per quart on expensive oil, when they change it every 2,000 miles. I am like why not buy $10 per quart. But chain lube is inexpensive so i buy the good stuff. Plus that can last me two+ years and i don't have to deal with the stinky kerosene. Plus it is Motul and made for my specific application, which helps me sleep at night. :wink2:

·
Administrator
24,829 Posts

·
Roadclosed racing Instructor
738 Posts
I started using WD40 exclusively for cleaning wheels when i got my 16 r1. and now I'm obsessed. gets shit off and protects the finish. Wish i would have used it sooner.

·
Mad Thou Rider
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No issues... just go ride and it will be like it was never there.
Sweet, thanks!, no need to worry about it then

I read many of your posts and know your very knowledgeable, kerosene is a good cleaner but why not WD40. (everybody, please don't turn this into another WD40 thread) I was just wondering why Tim did go the usual rout for cleaning the chain while on the bike. And BTW, don't be lazy with your chain. You of all people know it's easy enough to give it a quick wipe down with WD after every ride.:drink:
I used Kero, because I have lots of it in the shed, but I used all the WD40 and havent replaced it yet.

Why not just buy some chain cleaner and have no worries? Do not make it more complicated than it has to be.
as above, I had lots of Kero, so I just went ahead and used that.

Im not one for cleaning religiously, I clean my bike maybe once every 6 months. It gets oil and filters, chain lubed, brake and cooling fluids checked / flushed / replaced etc on a very regular basis, but I hate cleaning, so I avoid it

·
The law is grey
972 Posts

I used Kero, because I have lots of it in the shed, but I used all the WD40 and havent replaced it yet.

Im not one for cleaning religiously, I clean my bike maybe once every 6 months. It gets oil and filters, chain lubed, brake and cooling fluids checked / flushed / replaced etc on a very regular basis, but I hate cleaning, so I avoid it
I clean my track bike like that. But my 2016 models get cleaned frequently. I spent a lot of money on them and I want them to look pretty. :bandit

·
R1, "One Hell of an Addiction"
13,996 Posts
I hit my chain(o-rings) with WD-40 every 300 miles, wipe it off and ride. Got 40,000 miles out of my last chain/sprocket set:

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/2-ge...ons/302448-my-wd-40-only-experiment-over.html

Mark
Same results here Mark.

I'm with you Mark... I've used the WD on every bike I've ever had. Never had 1 issue with my chains. :fact
When I started to ride street bikes in 1974 I used every chain product available and then about 10 years in I was informed to use WD40 on the chain. Like most people, I was reluctant to use it but now 30 years later I'm very happy I made the change. The only time I change sprockets or chain is for different gearing.

LOL, I get it, riding is much more fun than cleaning. I still do enjoy a good bike detailing though.

I clean my track bike like that. But my 2016 models get cleaned frequently. I spent a lot of money on them and I want them to look pretty. :bandit
Nothing wrong with that mindset.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.