Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Who dies with most toys, Wins
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty stoked, im a new daddy. I picked up my first R1 last night and am really enjoying her. Shes an 04 and one thing that i do fret over is it seems on the kickstand it leans over further than my gixxer does. No big deal but when i bump it i can see the kickstand bend from the stress. Should I replace it or is it common?

·
I EAT SKYLINES!
2,162 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your purchase! :)

Mine sorta flexes a little, but not enough that it makes we want to replace it... Sorry I can be of no real assistance.

·
R1 Addiction
16,591 Posts
congrats. don't think it will fall over, but if you that worried about it, then it might be a good idea to replace it with some aftermarket one that is stronger. Better to have piece of mind, than save a few bucks and be worried all the time.

·
Magic Man
24 Posts
I have an aftermarket on mine, and it definitly seems to lean a little more than I feel comfortable, and it flexes. I have never felt completely comfortable with it but it looks so good..lol... I might get a stock one from ebay and see how that works anyway.

·
Over doing it
702 Posts
The '04+ kickstands are made from forged aluminum instead of steel like all prior models. The '98-'01 kickstand is 0.5 inches longer and made out of steel. They are fully compatible with each other.

It may be a good alternative to swap them if you're worried about the newer model.

·
14k+ posts and not one helpful
14,260 Posts
first off, congrats on the purchase!!

i also have a gixxer and the R1 and yes it does lean a little bit more than the gixxer does... no biggie it should be fine!

·
R1 Addiction
16,591 Posts
One of these days I wanna get a little aluminum plate welded to the bottom of mine so it will quite sinking into hot asphault and also won't lean so far.

Ian

might scratch the swing arm when you put it up thou.

·
My other bike is your sister
7,420 Posts
I don't know, mine never really bothers me that much. Unless you plan on sitting on it when parked, then it should support the weight of the bike just fine.

Can't recall anyone having the kickstand snap on them.

·
Banned
31,510 Posts
One of these days I wanna get a little aluminum plate welded to the bottom of mine so it will quite sinking into hot asphault and also won't lean so far.

Ian
easier to just carry a hard plastic disc in the trunk of the bike.

·
18x HP literbike killer
3,774 Posts
At first a few weeks ago when I got my R1, i noticed the kickstand flexes a little, but the kickstand seems to do its job...as far as the asphalt problem, I would get a small square of wood or hard plastic as mentioned and use that, it should work fine without any welding:scared

·
burnin' up the streets
8,783 Posts
it always makes me cringe when I see guys (& girls) spin the bike on the stand to turn it around.
I think if they had ever held one in their hands & knew how little it weighed they probably wouldn't do that any more.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Pretty stoked, im a new daddy. I picked up my first R1 last night and am really enjoying her. Shes an 04 and one thing that i do fret over is it seems on the kickstand it leans over further than my gixxer does. No big deal but when i bump it i can see the kickstand bend from the stress. Should I replace it or is it common?
Congrats. But DONT WASTE MONEY ON A NEW STAND....Yamaha engineers know what they're doing. The flexing is normal and will be FINE.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.