Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Who dies with most toys, Wins
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty stoked, im a new daddy. I picked up my first R1 last night and am really enjoying her. Shes an 04 and one thing that i do fret over is it seems on the kickstand it leans over further than my gixxer does. No big deal but when i bump it i can see the kickstand bend from the stress. Should I replace it or is it common?

·
I EAT SKYLINES!
2,162 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your purchase! :)

Mine sorta flexes a little, but not enough that it makes we want to replace it... Sorry I can be of no real assistance.

·
R1 Addiction
16,591 Posts
congrats. don't think it will fall over, but if you that worried about it, then it might be a good idea to replace it with some aftermarket one that is stronger. Better to have piece of mind, than save a few bucks and be worried all the time.

·
Magic Man
24 Posts
I have an aftermarket on mine, and it definitly seems to lean a little more than I feel comfortable, and it flexes. I have never felt completely comfortable with it but it looks so good..lol... I might get a stock one from ebay and see how that works anyway.

·
Over doing it
702 Posts
The '04+ kickstands are made from forged aluminum instead of steel like all prior models. The '98-'01 kickstand is 0.5 inches longer and made out of steel. They are fully compatible with each other.

It may be a good alternative to swap them if you're worried about the newer model.

·
14k+ posts and not one helpful
14,260 Posts
first off, congrats on the purchase!!

i also have a gixxer and the R1 and yes it does lean a little bit more than the gixxer does... no biggie it should be fine!

·
Banned
31,510 Posts
One of these days I wanna get a little aluminum plate welded to the bottom of mine so it will quite sinking into hot asphault and also won't lean so far.

Ian
easier to just carry a hard plastic disc in the trunk of the bike.

·
18x HP literbike killer
3,774 Posts
At first a few weeks ago when I got my R1, i noticed the kickstand flexes a little, but the kickstand seems to do its job...as far as the asphalt problem, I would get a small square of wood or hard plastic as mentioned and use that, it should work fine without any welding:scared

·
burnin' up the streets
8,783 Posts
it always makes me cringe when I see guys (& girls) spin the bike on the stand to turn it around.
I think if they had ever held one in their hands & knew how little it weighed they probably wouldn't do that any more.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Pretty stoked, im a new daddy. I picked up my first R1 last night and am really enjoying her. Shes an 04 and one thing that i do fret over is it seems on the kickstand it leans over further than my gixxer does. No big deal but when i bump it i can see the kickstand bend from the stress. Should I replace it or is it common?
Congrats. But DONT WASTE MONEY ON A NEW STAND....Yamaha engineers know what they're doing. The flexing is normal and will be FINE.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.