Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· I chose the path less traveled
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here's my situation:

I currently have an 04 R1 as indicated in my signature. I've put so much blook sweat and tears into it, that I kinda hate to let it go. My problem is that I can't have 2 toys in my garage. I have 2 kids and I currently ride occasionally to work. Unfortunately no one at work rides and it's getting boring riding the 1 to work. I go to the track every 4 to 5 months due to time constraints and since my 2 girls are dear to me, my weekends are precious.

Here is where I want to hear what you guys would do. I've currently put my bike up on Craigslist with the hopes that no one would really offer on it. Kinda like a feeler to see if anyone would really bite.....well wouldn't you know it that someone has offered me $8500 cash for the bike. I put it up so that I could turn around and buy an R6 and mainly take it to the track. I rode the bike in this morning and thought the entire way "man I'm going to miss this bike if I go through with this sale".

I know that on the track I don't have to have the biggest "balls" by riding a liter bike, and primarily wanted to focus on my technique with a 600. My only thing is that I put so much into this bike I don't know if I'm going to miss riding the 1 around.

What would you guys do? A friend of mine said "why not just ride slower?". I kinda laughed and said my goal for going to a 600 is not to ride slower, it's to be able to carry more speed in the turns and not have to focus so much on throttle control! I know you still have to even with the 600's, but more forgiving and from what I've heard/read more responsive on turning.

If you guys had the choice, what would you do: 1)keep the r1 and make it only track bike? 2)since the bike is 4 years old now with 14k would it make more sense to sell it even with all of the aftermarket parts and start fresh with an 07 R6?

All opinions are welcome........(so to speak)

· Go in deeper come out faster
6,413 Posts
Dang...well looking at the list of what you have into it...I wouldn't let her go....It all comes down to what you want for the track.

· Lets Go Yankees
688 Posts
I dont know if i could handle just having the 1 as a track bike since every time i walk into the garage it would be sitting there begging for a ride. The idea of a new r6 does sound tempting. I say if you lost the thrill of riding and the way to get it back is to get a 600, then imo go for it. I would get a 08 r6 though.

304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont know if i could handle just having the 1 as a track bike since every time i walk into the garage it would be sitting there begging for a ride. The idea of a new r6 does sound tempting. I say if you lost the thrill of riding and the way to get it back is to get a 600, then imo go for it. I would get a 08 r6 though.

I tend to agree. I love the 1 and the power it has. Honestly, it has been an incredible ride. I can take the money from selling the R1 and buy an 07 R6 and have extra money to start simple modifications. All of the extra money can go to mods since I don't need ANY gear or other stuff like stands, tire warmers, and stuff like that.

I haven't lost the passion to ride, but after two spills on the street, I think I would rather just ride on the track and keep it all there. I calculated out that risk is inherent with EVERYTHING we do. The chances are increased the more you do it, therefore riding to work everyday increases the risk that already comes along with riding. Therefore if I take it to the track only my chances are SOMEWHAT less. I know gas right now is nice to be able to save money here and there by riding, but the risks are just not worth it. I've walked away from all of my incidents more or less, but I don't want to hit that time where the accident is my last.

Oh well, obviously this is a personal dilemma and right now i'm just having a hard time dealing with the fact that I'm selling my baby!

· The Intern
2,410 Posts
Ok here's my situation:

...(so to speak)

I was in an identical situation to where you are now. I had my 04 R1 and took a great deal of pride working and improving it all the time. Put a lot of $$$ into mods and time into maintenance to keep it pristine.
After I started going to the track, I noticed that I do not ride on the street anymore. Sure it was great to have, but I got bored of the ride thing on the street, especially after I tasted the track. All my racer friends told me I would get hooked on the track, and I did not believe them until then.
So I put the bike up for sale (would you believe it, on Craigslist too).
Someone came up and bought it within 3 days of me posting it.

Even before I sold the bike, I told myself that I would rather crash on a crappy looking bike (where I would not care if I do crash it), rather than crashing on a really nice street bike. Had I crashed on the R1, it would have cost me a fortune to bring it back to the same shape, plus it would have depreciated substantially.
So after I sold it, I decided on a 600cc bike to improve my riding on the track. I was no longer interested in any riding on the street. Since I started riding on the track, I went on a street ride once. That is one time. It was obviously useless to have a street bike and never ride it. Insurance, registration, plates, etc, all contribute to the overall expense of having such a thing. So I finally found an R6 ('99), fully race prepped. Had all the goodies I wanted on it.

Believe me, when I took that thing onto the track for the first time, and gave it some gas around a nice turn, my grin under the helmet was so big, I thought I am going to rip my lips. That day, I think I had the most fun on the track I have ever had. Did not have to be as conscious of the power that could bite. The corner speed was substantially higher for me and I found myself passing all the 1000cc bikes around the track. Noticed that the only they would pass me if they had enough of a straight to use the power of the 1000cc bike. Even then, I noticed that some are trying to pass me so hard on the straights, sometimes they forget they need to turn and ride off into the grass (happened to see that first hand at least 3 times on the same day - I would pass them in the twisties, and must have had a good lead over them by the time I was on the straights, since they would pass me just as I was getting set to lean for another corner, and out of the corner of my eye I would see them pass me on the outside and have no time to slow down, so they would ride off the track leaving me wondering WTF, didn't they know they have to turn???).

So if you are trying to do the track thing, and not ride on the street, do not be afraid. You will love an R6 all that much more. You will save money (insurance, reg, plates, etc), and you will have more time.

The only thing you need to discuss is how often you will go to the track.
I try to make it once or twice a month. That chit is so addictive.

Good luck with whatever you do. Selling the R1 is not a bad thing. It is just a change. That is all.

· INVICTUS
15,201 Posts
I'd sell my bike today if I had a chance at an R6 for a trackbike . Believe it or not my last trackday was in August and the last time I rode it was on the track. The bike is still on the trailer in my Garage. All I do is hop on the trailer every now and then and start it up and let it idle for a bit. Anyone wanting to straight up trade me with a half decent 06 and up R6 and I'd slap'em with my title so quick they might press charges.

Attachments

304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd sell my bike today if I had a chance at an R6 for a trackbike . Believe it or not my last trackday was in August and the last time I rode it was on the track. The bike is still on the trailer in my Garage. All I do is hop on the trailer every now and then and start it up and let it idle for a bit. Anyone wanting to straight up trade me with a half decent 06 and up R6 and I'd slap'em with my title so quick they might press charges.

Thanks for the feedback guys! I appreciate it. I'm glad to know I'm not alone in this. Seriously though Solidus I understand, as my last trackday was November of this year. I would like to go every other month, if I can (time permitting). I think I will definitely let my bike go and worry about my riding technique now. I was so happy because last time at California Speedway I was running top 3 in level II group at avg. 1:42 lap times. I know that I will have to work more in the turns to get that on an R6, but look forward to getting better and better..........

· Air Cavalry Crew Chief ret.
783 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys! I appreciate it. I'm glad to know I'm not alone in this. Seriously though Solidus I understand, as my last trackday was November of this year. I would like to go every other month, if I can (time permitting). I think I will definitely let my bike go and worry about my riding technique now. I was so happy because last time at California Speedway I was running top 3 in level II group at avg. 1:42 lap times. I know that I will have to work more in the turns to get that on an R6, but look forward to getting better and better..........

Keep the R1! I daily ride mine to work, then prep it for Cal Speedway. If you are running low 40s, then you can help me get there. I am at mid to high 40s as of my last visit in Aug. Will start up again in Feb. I personally enjoy the torque the 1 has around the infield, then the top speed up the front straight. Keep the R1 I say, and I look forward to having you show ME the fast line if you stay in level II.
Ray

· Shane loves........me
10,291 Posts
Anyone wanting to straight up trade me with a half decent 06 and up R6 and I'd slap'em with my title so quick they might press charges.
:lol Sweet bike bro!

To the OP......why not have both??? You might have to come some $$$ out of pocket but you could do both. What about selling what you have now, taking that $$ and buying a bike that is already done up in track trim off of the WERA board....saving $$$$ by doing that and buy another street bike. you can find some sweet deal's on there. Recently an 05 gsxr 600 with full yosh, full race bodywork, spare set of bodywork, spare set of wheels, spare gearing and ect sold for $4500 :fact

· Banned
2,947 Posts
If someone offered you $8500 cash for an 04....I'd TAKE it and move to an 06 or 07 R6 that someone already has set up for the track. No sense in spending a ton of money buying a stock R6 and paying double to get it set up. I've seen a bunch of track/race 06 R6's out there that are set up WAY nice, and are going for about what you'd get from your R1. Go for it!

783 Posts
Hey Jack, by the way, our Avatars, are rounding the same courner!

· Super Moderator
22,568 Posts
I've had way more fun on my '06 R6 than I ever did on my R1. With a full system and a custom map the newer R6's are raw on the track and street.

· SO FAST SO CLEAN
10,209 Posts
I really had my mind set on buying on 08 R1 next year for streets, and use my R6 for track. But now I'm thinking I might just get the 08 R6 for track and use my Candy Red for street cuz it has way to much bling bling on her now.

· Registered
170 Posts
I say it depends more on the tracks you'll be at. If you're doing trackdays at Fontana primarily, you're more than likely going to miss your literbike. I see you have aftermarket forks and shock. Have you had them set up? You have put A LOT of time and effort into that machine. Slipper clutch too. Wow. Think about it. say you sell your bike for $8500. How much do you think you can get an 06/07 R6 for? Maybe $7K? Gonna title it right? Figure another couple hundred. Add in another Ohlins shock and some fork work...maybe $1500. You're undoubtedly gonna get a full exhaust too right? Another $800? Looks like you're back into $8500-9K territory. And you still have to buy track plastics!

I'm not going to lie, 600's are a lot of fun...especially on smaller technical tracks like Streets of Willow, but I'd have a real hard time saying good bye to your bike. :42's is a good quick pace for a guy who isn't racing. Congrats. I'm doing 46's on my 636 and hoping to bring that down some more. I've only been there twice. Maybe I'll catch you out there and you can give me a tow? Hahaha.

-r.

783 Posts
I say it depends more on the tracks you'll be at. If you're doing trackdays at Fontana primarily, you're more than likely going to miss your literbike. I see you have aftermarket forks and shock. Have you had them set up? You have put A LOT of time and effort into that machine. Slipper clutch too. Wow. Think about it. say you sell your bike for $8500. How much do you think you can get an 06/07 R6 for? Maybe $7K? Gonna title it right? Figure another couple hundred. Add in another Ohlins shock and some fork work...maybe $1500. You're undoubtedly gonna get a full exhaust too right? Another $800? Looks like you're back into $8500-9K territory. And you still have to buy track plastics!

I'm not going to lie, 600's are a lot of fun...especially on smaller technical tracks like Streets of Willow, but I'd have a real hard time saying good bye to your bike. :42's is a good quick pace for a guy who isn't racing. Congrats. I'm doing 46's on my 636 and hoping to bring that down some more. I've only been there twice. Maybe I'll catch you out there and you can give me a tow? Hahaha.

-r.

What he said!

and I can look for both you two to help pull me through, maybe.

· Registered
23 Posts
If your not going to be riding the street anymore or very little then you
would be better off selling it. If you crash it at the track the cost to fix
it up to sell will be reasonably high.

You can spend a lot less and get a bike which already is set up for the
track with all the related parts/spares and perhaps even the original
street gear so you can swap it back if you get desperate for a street ride.

I disagree with getting a current model and prepping it for the track.
It's highly unlikely you will go much faster between 05/07 models (for example) unless you are a top level racer.

Just look for a bike which has been
well maintained and will suit your needs. Also if you get a slightly older
model parts and cheap and plentiful. You won't enjoy the experience
any less.

My moto is never race a bike you can't afford to fix in the worst case
scenario. Have a look on the wera website for what $8500 could get you.

304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you guys for the replies...

RayH: I LOVE the 1 going down the straights at Fontana, but to tell you the truth I know I'm compensating for my lack of higher corner speed with yanking on the throttle down the front and back straights of CalSpeedWay.

As for the questions regarding the suspension setup: I've had several guys look at my suspension. Stieg (don't know last name) sets up AMA guys suspension......was kinda pointless IMO. RaceTech at the trackdays which helped quite a bit). Tieg (from Catalyst Suspensions) verify everything on the suspension settings. Overall the suspension is GREAT. I'm not complaining about that as I was able to be 3/4 throttle in turn 5 at CalSpeedway leaned over and not run wide. Orginally, the bike wanted to run wide and I had some issues with it. I noticed the R1 is also VERY hard on tires as I think all liter bikes are.

Overall, I've had 3 instances where the bike almost spit me off coming out of a couple of turns which I know were partly my right wrist wanting to twist the throttle to quickly. I think the R6 is a bit more forgiving on tires, and having less to think about with regards to throttle control.

I have found a couple of 06-07 R6's for $6 to 7k. I'm going to take whatever money extra I have after my purchase and apply it to minor tunes and tweaks to run the 6 at the track.

I am happy with the R1, but know that I'm not getting the full potential out of the bike because of my lack of technique in the corners. I want to focus more on that and hope that I don't miss my baby too much.

As for the socal guys that run at Fontana, we need to meet up next time we go out to the track, since after January, that will probably be the only place I ride.

· Shane loves........me
10,291 Posts
I am happy with the R1, but know that I'm not getting the full potential out of the bike because of my lack of technique in the corners. I want to focus more on that and hope that I don't miss my baby too much.

This is prob going to start a war (it always does) but if you're looking for a balanced bike (handling and power wise) why not look into a gsxr 750? Or a newer 675?

304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No no war on my part. The 750 is a great option, if I enjoyed the looks of the bike. We all buy bikes for one reason or another, and honestly I don't like the looks of the 750. Handling may be great, but I have to enjoy the looks first (but that's just me). As for the 675, the availability of parts are not really that wide. I checked for a used 675 and the price they start at is what I'm getting for my bike right now which would mean I wouldn't have any liquid cash to spend on the bike. Then you are limited in terms of what you can buy for the bike or replace when you crash (not IF).

I thought breifly about the Ducati 848......no matter how :boobies I think they look, I would only buy it if I wanted to ride it on the street more than the track. So not an option.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.