Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2000 yzfr1. I have spent a lot of time and money into getting this thing up and running and everything the way it is meant to run. I finally after a year got it to this point. I started noticing after riding for a while I started noticing that everytime I rode it for extended links not too far just normal commute it didn’t want to crank it turns over everything acts as it should but then it won’t crank when you turn the starter button over it clicks can someone please give me any information as to what would cause this and how to fix it I have already replaced the main switch cleaned the contacts.

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,655 Posts
When you ride the bike for a while the starter motor just clicks but if you let it sit and cool down the motorcycle will go ahead and kick over? Do I understand the issue right?

If so, I'd start by checking the charge on the battery. Anything under 12.7 v static, replace the battery. If the battery was bad, I'd check the charging system out. If it was good, I'd bench test my starter, or just clean it up and check out the brushes. If it needed to be rebuilt I'd either rebuild it or source a new one. If the starter motor checked out good, I'd replace the starter solenoid.

Couple of questions, 1) how many miles on the bike? 2) have the valves ever been adjusted? 3)have the carbs been synced?

I know you had quite the experience getting your carbs cleaned a while back. If you'd like, I could ultrasonic clean them and bench sync them for you, no charge. They'd still need to be synced when you put them on the bike, but a bench sync will get them close enough to be tuned.

Also, if you let the board know what area you are in perhaps another member can reccomend a good shop to you bud.

I feel for you and I can't believe after everything you've put into your bike it's still giving you fits. Don't lose hope though, you'll get her sorted out bud. I have faith.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you ride the bike for a while the starter motor just clicks but if you let it sit and cool down the motorcycle will go ahead and kick over? Do I understand the issue right?

If so, I'd start by checking the charge on the battery. Anything under 12.7 v static, replace the battery. If the battery was bad, I'd check the charging system out. If it was good, I'd bench test my starter, or just clean it up and check out the brushes. If it needed to be rebuilt I'd either rebuild it or source a new one. If the starter motor checked out good, I'd replace the starter solenoid.

Couple of questions, 1) how many miles on the bike? 2) have the valves ever been adjusted? 3)have the carbs been synced?

I know you had quite the experience getting your carbs cleaned a while back. If you'd like, I could ultrasonic clean them and bench sync them for you, no charge. They'd still need to be synced when you put them on the bike, but a bench sync will get them close enough to be tuned.

Also, if you let the board know what area you are in perhaps another member can reccomend a good shop to you bud.

I feel for you and I can't believe after everything you've put into your bike it's still giving you fits. Don't lose hope though, you'll get her sorted out bud. I have faith.
The off/on switch someone had routed the wrong way and it was was causing the wires to be stretched extremely tight and so I thought was the cause. So I bought a new one and installed it in the right manner but I went from firing up every-time when I first got it back from the shop to me having to flip the kill switch multiple times and then it would start up, to having to flip the switch multiple times and turning the handle bars back and fourth. To finally it just will not fire up. When I turn the key all the lights come on flip the switch and try to push start button and it just made a clicking noise I could actually feel the tick under my seat. But it would not even turn over it does not even sound like it is trying to crank it just makes the ticking noise. I roll started it the other day let it warm up and drove to the top of my driveway; decided to turn it off just to see if it would start back up and it did so I cut it off again and then tried starting it again and it worked. Took it back down the hill and it was back to doing nothing and I haven’t had it started since. I hope that is a better description. If not when I make it home this evening I will take a video of what it’s actually doing. You have a good memory though I was awhile back having some major issues with the bike pretty much since I purchased it I have completely redone the charging system. The stator, rectifier, battery, new rotor assembly, I have also had the carbs built by Maxx speed I have had the fuel system replaced new fuel lines, new fuel pump, the bike has had the wire harness checked over all the grounds , has had all the contacts cleaned and made sure they were in snug. Has had oil change new filter, new air filter. Exhaust has been checked over. The bike before this started happening was running fantastic they ran it in a dyno at Maxx speed it was pushing 143 horses o yea I also had to replace the cdi box bc I was told it was not grounding right there at the cdi box. So yes i have been on this seems never ending journey that have this amazing beautiful bike restored to its full running potential mechanically free of any issues. I have spent a couple thousand all together as far as gear to ride safely and majority going toward work that has not been preformed by me but by some shops I started out almost two years ago to find the perfect bike for me and just like most cases seemed to good to be true. I was told this bike man is excellent condition it runs fantastic only has 14,000 miles nothing wrong cosmetically. All which was untruthful I rode the bike long enough to get it home and two hours later would not start and so began my search and solve mission to find out what the world is going on with it. Being I have not had much experiences with bikes it has been a little more difficult but this forum is where I have learned most of what I have from and everyone willingness to help others with experiences like there own or giving there best guess to what the issue could be is greatly appreciated. I have almost given up twice now and just looked for another bike, but I am determined to have this bike out back together and running as it was the day it left the showroom floor. I have came to far to turn back now. Thank you for your offer of helping me with the carbs I would definitely take you up on the offer but as I said before I think I have managed to get that part worked out and taken care of. How do I add my address or the town and state of which I live in order to get opinions or other ideas of best places to look at or work on bikes? Also I kno this is a long post I apologize but I also have been having an issue with the rear suspension is what I believe it may be but when I am taking off at low speeds every so often not every time but often enough I am turning to the left it seems it going straight and it has a extremely hard knock it feels like someone hit the bottom left side of my seat with a metal bar it is extremely hard knock just once and then the bike will run fine the guy at max speed said that it may have something to do with back breaks and so I stopped using them and it stopped for awhile but it’s back to doing it I checked the wheel kushes the sprocket the chain and found nothing maybe you have some insight of what could cause it. Last thing the steering damper on the bike recently started to rattle I’m sure that is not supposed to work like that but I’m pretty sure that is what has caused my handle bars to be dead straight and the wheel to be turned to the right how to I fix the wheel back and set it in line with the handle bars agian?

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,655 Posts
Your description of the issue sounds like either the starter or the starter solenoid. My diagnostics process I posted in the previous post is still the route I'd take. I will add that I would also recheck my electrical connections from the controls to the harness.

I don't think the forum minds a long and descriptive post. It definitely helps to be able to diagnose and give advice when all of the variables are presented.

So far as the popping noise, you stated previously that the suspension appeared to be in order. That should count out the rear shock. If that is the case, I'd look over the motor mounts. Maybe the frame is twisting over the engine (it is a stressed member of the chassis and all motor mounts must be in place and properly torqued). Then again, you say that the front forks are kicked. That would cause some problems as well. To reset the front forks, loosed the pinch bolts on the bottom of the triple clamp, back off the lock nuts on the head bearings, push the bike up against a curb and dive the forks hard repeatedly. Then torque the pinch bolts and tighten the steering stem nuts back to torque. That will align the forks. After that, I'd inspect my front rim, bearings and axle for any signs of damage and replace as necessary. If you don't have the correct tools for this, do not attempt it. Torque on the steering head stem is absolutely critical. Incorrect torque may cause headshake/deathwobble and may result in serious injury or death.

If you edit your about me section, you can add a home town.

At 143whp that's not too shabby bud! I'm glad that you found the right people to get you bike running tip top. That first mechanic, bro, your description of your experience STILL haunts my dreams some times.

Just an idea, but, since you already have a relationship with the folks that put your bike on the dyno, how about letting them take a peak and see how it goes?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts