Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
31,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been getting alot of messages lately about the Komodo Gear race suits that we sell at McCoy's ( www.tobefast.com ) and members mentioning about crash testing and reviews so here's a short run down on some of the documented crashes that have been compiled.

As you can see, I have all three race suit that have been crashed HARD by actual racers from the AMA pro down to the learning privateer. We are looking at images and information from:

• FX suit (worn by AMA pro Opie Caylor)
  • Meso suit (worn by Mike Harrel – CMRA champion)
  • Ceno suit (worn by Todd Fleeman – CMRA privateer)

·
Administrator
31,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The FX suit worn by Opie went down around 130 mph at Infineon (he had a bad high side). It actually ripped part of the aero hump off, which we stitched back up). Opie had no major injuries. He totaled the bike (GSXR 600) and rode the very next day (Formula Xtreme) in the same suit. Opie was lucky; the suit did it’s job but rarely does anyone walk away from a crash at that speed.

·
Administrator
31,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Meso suit worn by Mike Harrell (a very fast club racer) has been down 3 times this season with ZERO repairs. You can see he knocked the hell out of it ) see the shoulder and back of suit. We made him retire the suit after his third fall. Harrell had (2) high speed low sides (around 85-90 mph) and one nasty high side (around 60-70 mph). Mike was lucky on the high side b/c he didn’t suffer a concussion (this is unusual). He did not break any bones, which is also significant because he slide off the track onto the rocks and ruts at the club tracks, which have no run off area like the AMA circuits do (in Opie’s case).

·
Administrator
31,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Ceno suit was worn by a privateer named Todd Fleeman. Todd is better known at the race track as, “CRASH”. He’s been down (6) times in the Ceno suit. We told him after his third fall to retire the suit and he promptly ignored us. After the sixth crash, the suit started to show real signs of stress in the seams. That’s when he realized he better get another suit or risk his life. Todd has been down at over 100mph in this suit at Texas World Speedway in turn one, which is a true sphincter turn (very high speed). Todd likes to crash and is fond of helicopter rides, hospital food and pain killers.

·
Administrator
31,051 Posts

·
Convention main man
13,733 Posts
I actually have the FX suit. The suit is amazing in quality and as stated holds up excellent in crashes. I had a lowside at Barber at the end of last year in mine and you can hardly tell I even crashed other than a little rubbing on the elbow.

·
Frank the Tank RPTB
6,226 Posts
My next suit WILL be Komodo, i saw a few of them at Indy and I m very impressed............:fact:yesnod

·
Shane loves........me
10,207 Posts
I actually have the FX suit. The suit is amazing in quality and as stated holds up excellent in crashes. I had a lowside at Barber at the end of last year in mine and you can hardly tell I even crashed other than a little rubbing on the elbow.

Just tell everyone you were dragging your elbow :sing:

Good lookin' pics of the way the gear holds up!!!!

Shane can you order them with 2 zippers that are where your arm-pits are instead of one in the center? I have seen it before but don't know which brand it was

·
Frank the Tank RPTB
6,226 Posts
Just tell everyone you were dragging your elbow :sing:

Good lookin' pics of the way the gear holds up!!!!

Shane can you order them with 2 zippers that are where your arm-pits are instead of one in the center? I have seen it before but don't know which brand it was
Those are on one of the Komodo suits, i saw it at Indy also, really looks alot easier to get in and out of to me..........

·
Convention main man
13,733 Posts
hahaha, true! lol

·
Administrator
31,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
87 Posts
I opted for the Ceno two piece. I do mainly street riding and these things are built like a tank. Very impressed with the quality. I will be wearing this suit to the Texas Mile later this fall. I really hope I'm not going to crash test it there though....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am newbie to sports motorcycle. I want to do track this year so bought an old R6 (2002) and trying to buy all the gear needed. I bought A* boots and now looking for one piece leather suit. I came across a very good condition Komodo FX suit, no crashed and not much wear and tear for $350. I do not know the original price of the suit to understand how much they were selling for and if it is worth the money. From your thread i understood that they are very good quality.
  • I already own a harley for more than a year and i am trying this new, to get a feel of track. I cannot shell out 1000s of dolla :-( . Can you tell me if it is a good buy for $350?
  • Is FX series an entry series by Komodo? I could not find much history as they are out of business now.
  • Is the quality comparable to decent Dainese or A* race suit or better?

Thanks,
    kk

·
YEEEEEEE!!!!!
1,980 Posts
Whoa! Way to dig up a 7 and 1/2 year old thread! :lol

·
14k+ posts and not one helpful
14,287 Posts
Some real OG members chimed in here at one point :fact

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
12 Participants
YZF-Rich
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing