Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey.

I have a 2008 r1. I was having issues with it surging slightly at 5,000 rpm and at 10- 12 rpm just no power then an explosion of power. Th bike started ran smooth but felt powerless. I could not get the from wheel to come up. The bike was fast just no power.

The issue was the ex up valve on the exhaust. Not the actual valve but one of the cables had snapped on the exhaust side. When you inspect the bike its very hard to determine this because the servo motor still goes through its cycle and it throws no fault code because the motor operates but does not actuate the valve. You go for a visual the cables sit in there nicely and look like they are ok. Take the cover plate off the exhaust and have a look. when you turn bike to on but hit start button. the bike should cycle through its thing and when it finishes the tab should stop between the two lines. all makes sense when you pull it off.

Needless to say the bike is now a true r1 powerhouse, front wheel lifts just looking at throttle and full range of smooth power right through till the end.

I nearly sold it and put the r1 down as a dud of a bike. my bad

·
Registered
100 Posts
I snapped one of my cables and had the same dead feeling. I just removed the valve completely from the exhaust and made a flat plate to cover the hole in the exhaust, I left the motor in so I don’t get any codes, the bike goes through the rev range so much smoother now, there’s no way I’d ever put it back in. It’s a little bit doughier (if that’s a word) Up to about 3k from there on it rips.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I snapped one of my cables and had the same dead feeling. I just removed the valve completely from the exhaust and made a flat plate to cover the hole in the exhaust, I left the motor in so I don’t get any codes, the bike goes through the rev range so much smoother now, there’s no way I’d ever put it back in. It’s a little bit doughier (if that’s a word) Up to about 3k from there on it rips.
Right. I honestly sit mine on about 5k and go from there. You dont find any issue getting front wheel to lift ?
and no issue with rev range up high ?

·
Registered
100 Posts
The exup only has value in the low rpm once you’re up and going it’s totally open and just causing disruption in the pipe, try and find a race system with an exup

1 - 4 of 4 Posts