Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Gixxer killer
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend is back in the market for another bike. She had an 04 636 for about 6 months until she got pregnant than we sold it. Now, our daughter is over a year old so she wants another bike. She wants a Suzuki but we're not sure on the 600 or the 750 yet. The local dealership will give us the 750 for the same price as the 600 as they are trying to get rid of all remaining 07 models. She knows the basics of riding but thats about it. She's not too comfortable through corners yet and is still a little shaky taking off. Do you think the 750 is too much bike to basically learn on?

·
Registered
82 Posts
In my opinion, it depends on the abilities of your lady. If she's the type that can pick things up pretty quickly, then Id say go with the 750. Otherwise there's nothing wrong with goin with the 600

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
My girlfriend is back in the market for another bike. She had an 04 636 for about 6 months until she got pregnant than we sold it. Now, our daughter is over a year old so she wants another bike. She wants a Suzuki but we're not sure on the 600 or the 750 yet. The local dealership will give us the 750 for the same price as the 600 as they are trying to get rid of all remaining 07 models. She knows the basics of riding but thats about it. She's not too comfortable through corners yet and is still a little shaky taking off. Do you think the 750 is too much bike to basically learn on?
that can be done with a good amount of discipline and her confidence!

·
Ginger's Pillar of Strength
801 Posts
1st - how did she feel on the 636? How do YOU think she felt on the 636? Did she feel intimidated? You say she's not too comfortable through corners - this to me is a RED FLAG.

Does she need to "start over"?
If this is the case, there is nothing wrong with going back to a smaller bike. A smaller HP bike could be the confidence inspiring ticket that she needs to progress her skills.
A 600 can get you in trouble quickly...
I would not buy the 750 just because they are giving you a good price.
You really need to consider her skill level. Even today's 600's are not entry level bikes.
my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
I think your wife (or anyone without a bunch of experience) would be a better rider in the long run starting out on a smaller CC bike like the ninja 250, or even a slightly tamer SV650 or such. A modern 600 or a 750 makes just as much power as the fastest bikes did just a few years ago.
Just like a lot of other things, when learning, you have to make a mistake and learn from it. Certain inevitable mistakes made on a ninja 250 that would just make you put a pinch mark in the seat would send you tumbling or worse on a more powerful bike. These SS 600's are no joke.
I say start small and upgrade later. It's hard to learn on a bike you don't feel confident or in control of.

·
Pacific Track Time
326 Posts
I sepnt 15 years on the dirt, then off the bikes for 8 years. I decided to buy another bike in March and bought an R1 as my first street bike. I'm not a big believer in smaller being better. There is no doubt that a more powerful bike will get you in trouble at a rate in direct correlation to just how powerful that bike is. However, it all boils down to disciplined, careful riding. I could crash my ass off on a 250 just as well as a 1000 - any of us could. I'd say the 600 would be great - most women seem comfortable on a 600 and it's plenty of bike to grow into.

·
Stay Fly 3-6Mafia
1,402 Posts
750 is just a 600 on roids. If she already has doubts stick with the 600.

·
The Original Turbo
2,332 Posts
Find a used Ducati 748. (2000 to 2003)

They're low to the ground.
Power is nice (85hp / 50ftlbs) and handles easy.
They're sexy and look tits.
They sound sexy too.

They can be had anywhere around $4,000 to $6,000 for nice clean examples.

My $0.02

Don't worry about service intervals. She probably won't be riding it much anyways. They never do. My $0.02

·
Super Moderator
21,723 Posts
The SV 650 would be a great choice for her as would the new Ninja 250.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Find a used Ducati 748. (2000 to 2003)

They're low to the ground.
Power is nice (85hp / 50ftlbs) and handles easy.
They're sexy and look tits.
They sound sexy too.

They can be had anywhere around $4,000 to $6,000 for nice clean examples.

My $0.02

Don't worry about service intervals. She probably won't be riding it much anyways. They never do. My $0.02

NOICE PIC!!!!

·
I'm an Englishman in WI.
33,700 Posts
Ninja 500 was a great starter for my wife, she did about 6 months on that and now has a 600 F4i, also a nice choice for her. The Honda,s riding position is not so full on sports bike, which she prefers, but the handling is still great which gives her great confidence.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.