Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Drinking Colt 45's with Lando
6,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My mother is in the market for a new laptop.

Whats' good in the world right now?

Around 1000 - 1200

·
Rule #1, R1 Fun
6 Posts
All of the laptop companies have good retail products. For cost and features Toshiba has a good satelite line and HP as well with the pavillion. Just watch the cost. If it costs $500 with rebates then it probably will not last long. You really want the machine that costs $700 after the rebates or around there +_ $50. Don't be cheap on the RAM, some say 2 gig is not needed. I disagree. 1 gig is the min, but 2 should keep you going for a couple of years. Drive size is not important these days with external usb drives being a dime a dozen for you to store pictues and backups of everything.
My favorites are IBM T60 and Toshiba
15.4 inch screen is big enough. If you want bigger get a cheap flat panel and plug it in while at home. Taking a huge laptop on the road sucks and the bags that they fit in are expensive. My two cents.

·
Registered
385 Posts
i love my macbook... i consdier it a laptop for the computer illertrate my dad could even use it and hes hopeless w/ computers

·
Drinking Colt 45's with Lando
6,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips guys!

To the mac users.

Is it extremly adapt an older person who is familiar with windows?

Is it compatible with her HP desktop running windows products?

Can a word document work with the mac?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys!

To the mac users.

Is it extremly adapt an older person who is familiar with windows?

Is it compatible with her HP desktop running windows products?

Can a word document work with the mac?
ya you can put all the windows programs on the mac thats what i have on mine cuz of school the programs that come on the new ones programs are compatable with windows, but if shes already fimiliar with the windows i would eather get the microsoft for mac about $150 or else just stick to a windows baised comp... it should take all of her files off the HP w/o a problem as well as with the word doccument but like i said i would just get the microsoft for mac if you wanted to do it that way

hope it helps

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.