Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
792.6 miles from the Gap
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm having some serious issues with the screen on my laptop. It started with a few pixels being the wrong colors, and then I started having a trail of pixels left every where I moved the mouse. The pixels would move if I put the mouse back over them. Then I started having vertical lines of off colored pixels. Then I gotta a message about an error I think it said NV4 and drivers in the error, and that my display was switching to the lowest level due to the error. Now my screen is always on the lowest resolution, the colors are off and I still have the vertical lines. Is my video card dead? If so how much are those to replace?

·
SO FAST SO CLEAN
9,698 Posts
Ok I'm having some serious issues with the screen on my laptop. It started with a few pixels being the wrong colors, and then I started having a trail of pixels left every where I moved the mouse. The pixels would move if I put the mouse back over them. Then I started having vertical lines of off colored pixels. Then I gotta a message about an error I think it said NV4 and drivers in the error, and that my display was switching to the lowest level due to the error. Now my screen is always on the lowest resolution, the colors are off and I still have the vertical lines. Is my video card dead? If so how much are those to replace?
Here is the first 4 things I would do to try and resolve this problem:

1. Re-install the video driver for your laptop. You can typically go to the laptop manufacturer website and get the video driver. If not, the driver will be avaliable on nVidia's website.
2. Blow the dust out of the inside of your laptop. You can typically buy a can of air and blow the air out through the fan vent hole systems. You should be doing this once a month anyways.
3. If you can, take your laptop apart and re-seat the video card. This is only possible if you don't have an integrated video card build into your motherboard. Laptops such as the Dell XPS do not have integrated video cards and can be reseated. I would need to know what type of laptop you own (manufacture, type, and specs).
4. While you have the laptop apart check the cable connections from the board to the screen.

If these tips don't work it could mean a couple of things:
1. You have a bad video card.
2. You have a cracked board. Typically this crack will be located in the data bus. Your discription actually leads me to believe this may be your problem. Those are the typical signs of a cracked motherboard.

If you have a warranty for your computer system I highly recommend you contact them and have your laptop serviced.

Good luck and let me know how it turns out.

James

·
792.6 miles from the Gap
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro its the 6100 I think. I tried reinstalling the video driver several different times but that didn't do anything. I'm a little nervous about taking it a part just because I don't know crap about computer internals. Everything else works fine except the video. I can open programs use the internet everything, but the display sucks. I don't have a monitor to plug it into to see if that works either.

·
Super Moderator
11,885 Posts
I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro its the 6100 I think. I tried reinstalling the video driver several different times but that didn't do anything. I'm a little nervous about taking it a part just because I don't know crap about computer internals. Everything else works fine except the video. I can open programs use the internet everything, but the display sucks. I don't have a monitor to plug it into to see if that works either.
Do you have an HD TV? Those can be monitors too and usually have a hook up for that purpose.

·
792.6 miles from the Gap
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have an HD TV? Those can be monitors too and usually have a hook up for that purpose.
I do but I gave my laptop to one of the future wife's co workers so they could look at it. If I had seen your post two days ago I could've tried to hook it up to see what happened.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.