Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I regularly do 200 - 300 mile runs and even the occasional 400+ mile run on my R1 - and the range sucks. I'm getting as little as 90 miles on a full tank and have already run out of gas once 10 miles before reaching my next scheduled stop.

So I have been looking at options and apart from the beautiful but silly expensive hand made endurance racing tanks there are no real options out there.

Like many of us (and probably all of those racing '15 and up R1s), I have fitted a CF tank shroud to give better support for track riding.

So here's my thought, why not permanently bond a shroud to a tank and use the extra space for added capacity? From a rough estimate ther seems to be enough volume for .75 gallon.

I know there are CF tanks out there and CF can be bonded and sealed to aluminum and steel. Seems like an obvious mod, so what am I missing? Anybody have a dinged tank as a test mule?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
you can cut the bottom of the tank and have a good welder weld in a strip to make it deeper. the bonding cf to it i would;t advise the cf is common to leak you have to do a special seeing process on it. theres a live fuel consumption meter on it if you flip through, adjusting your throttle hand will get you that extra mileage and also depending on what flash your running will change it greatly most tunes are on the rich side.

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,241 Posts
interesting thread.. that custom tank above sure looks like business, I agree the Beater tanks are kinda pricey.

by looks of it though its not out of this world, I know the ZX14R has a similar expanded tank from the factory.

looking at the bike from the outside you cant even tell its there unless you know what you're looking at..

Attachments

·
Hope is what makes us Human.
8,425 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys. I have a 2016 R1. I am new to track riding and noticed that the bike's ergonomics are somewhat suboptimal. The tank is one of the mods I am looking at (pushing out the handle bars is the other). For the CF tank shroud, I did a cursory search came across the tstindustries.com/se-moto-yamaha-yzf-r1-2015-tank-cover-shroud.html and hhrperformance.com/i-31628546-se-moto-carbon-fiber-tank-shroud-version-2-0-15-19-yamaha-r1-r1m.html. It's the same product, right? There is only one manufacturer producing these?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Those are the same shrouds. SE Moto made a v1 initially that did not cover all of the tank, but rather just a portion of it. The v2 as you linked, covers all of the tank and completely encircles the gas cap, whereas v1 did not.

I'm using a different shroud out of Japan. The name escapes me now, but it's well documented in my build thread.

·
Gian11
1,595 Posts
You can get fiberglass versions for painting on the SE composites original shroud and the Saitaniya shroud from Velox. I personally sold my se composites and switched to a saitaniya as I preferred the ergos for tucking in.

·
Unacceptable
1,255 Posts
^^^ I like that second version without the squared-off back. The SE Composites V2 jabs right into the bottom of my sternum. Ouch!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts