Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
R1-Forum
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my latest dyno runs sampled today, the first run is stock. The air injection was disabled to allow air/fuel sampling as shown in the dyno graphs shown below.

155.33rwhp (Stock):
Ambient Temperature 79.87f ,29.39 in-Hg, Humidity: 14%

We then proceeded to tune the engine utilizing a PCIIIusb; an additional 3.19rwhp produced by both utilizing tuning experience and DynoJet’s “Tunelink” software. (All runs with stock exhaust)

158.52rwhp (Stock/PCIIIusb):
Ambient Temperature 78.45f ,29.39 in-Hg, Humidity: 19%

Comparison of the two graphs:

Needless to say I’m very pleased, not only is the power impressive; the entire package is phenomenal.

Thanks!

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,685 Posts
I am impressed!
guess by that graph, you'll need to shift well b4 redline for optimal performance

·
OG Moderator
996 Posts
Very nice.

02/03 owners just think about how many dollars we put into getting 155 +/- and two years later, boom bone stock and a totally different bike as well. Alas, it prolly will be 4 more years before yamaha bumps the HP to larger numbers, or will it they in 2 years?? :)

I think Superstock is where it's at for me...skins, tires and GMD Computrac suspension.

Thanks for posting this VPREATR!

·
L8R2U
21,459 Posts
Thanx:hellobye

·
R1-Forum
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your welcome. I will attach the PCIIIusb map shortly, please note the bike is tested/tuned above is stock; so this map may not apply to your application if you've modified your machine. (This bike will retain the stock exhaust/intake tract as it's slated for production racing, hence why I chose to tune in this configuration)

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
does anyone know how restrictive the cat is?horsepower wise?

·
Be Good, or good at it!
368 Posts
Wow...the other scary thing is this thing is going 160 mph on the dyno and is still only in 4th gear!!! I don't know about you guys, but that drum is really starting to move on the ol dyno and I dont want to be in the room when one goes haywire one of these days!! :fire

·
Moving Chicane
782 Posts
Prowler said:
does anyone know how restrictive the cat is?horsepower wise?
It isn't so restrictive up top, its more that it seems to make the powerband less smooth. The cat removal removes at lest half that dip in the midrange. There are some dyno runs done by Akrapovic and Arrow that show the differences.

·
Good Times
74 Posts
I guy I know just tuned Pascal Picotte's R1 before the Daytona races. Micron brought the bike to him with a full system. He thought that the dip around 7K was primarily caused by the EXUP valve coming in too late. He was pretty impressed with the stock mapping, as far as air/fuel ratio. The full system and and tuning pretty much eliminated the dip.

·
Thriller
3,610 Posts
Looks good, thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
310 Posts
uncle crusty said:
I guy I know just tuned Pascal Picotte's R1 before the Daytona races. Micron brought the bike to him with a full system. He thought that the dip around 7K was primarily caused by the EXUP valve coming in too late. He was pretty impressed with the stock mapping, as far as air/fuel ratio. The full system and and tuning pretty much eliminated the dip.
Bingo! It's the EXUP that's causing the torque dip, not the cat.

These days, bike manufactures are using the EXUP and other brand variants to control noise for the EPA just as much as it's being used to help with low end power. Blame the EPA on this one.

·
R1-Forum
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here is the final tuning map as of today, please note the bike retains the factory exhaust, air injection has been removed to allow the sampling of air/fuel ratio.

VPREATR DynoJet IIIusb Map (2004 R1/Stock/no AIS/Elevation 557ft.):
http://www.montalvoracing.com/2004r1/vpreatr04r1stock.djm

Note about AIS, to properly tune your AIS equipped machine’s air/fuel ratio, it must be disabled; on the 2004 R1 it’s quite simple, you must raise the fuel tank, on the left side of the airbox, toward the front is a hose that feeds the AIS solenoid; it can be disconnected/plugged accordingly for the duration of dyno tuning and subsequent mapping (if applicable)

Now several have asked how this particular bike was broken in, first it was ridden in a spirited manned for 90-100 miles (length of travel to bring it home), then a method of dyno break-in was utilized (similar to the Mototune method -http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm), multiple heat cycles (pulls/cooling) were generated based on load and varied RPM ranges.

Upon completing the initial testing it was apparent the bike was producing more power with each run, from that stage the bike was ridden in an aggressive, yet controlled manner upon which it was re-tested producing the 155.33rwhp, after tuning we were rewarded with 158.52rwhp, please note the dyno has no provisions for forced air (i.e. ram air effect); alas the bike clearly has more power production potential while in actual motion.

My next stage is to degree the camshafts per the allow-ability of my racing organizations production rules; I suspect 160rwhp is clearly in reach for this machine in stock form; if time and budget permitted I would expect far more is available through other allowable methods (per my clubs production rules). Shortly I will begin testing of my street 2004 R1 (not inhibited by production rules) and I anticipate nearing the 170rwhp range upon completion.

In closing, I’m am wholly impressed with the package Yamaha has provided us, the bike is delivered with incredible out of the box capability (and escalating potential).

Thanks!

·
Pirelli: Control is everything
264 Posts
Thanks for the map! Can't wait to try it.....Probably about another month till the nice weather.

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
Thanks VPREATR!!

might be too soon to ask, but any guess-timation of how much hp is possible with full exhaust system, air filter, maybe different airbox is one is available... ?? Im curious as to how much is possible with all the regular mods we all love to buy

also, Im not a Suzuki fan so can anyone tell me what hp the 03/04 Gizzer 1000s are putting down.. if I remember right, its not much less than the new R1s are producing...

1 - 20 of 53 Posts