Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Cabin Fever!
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the look and idea behind the tank extenders, and agree with the need after having my time at the track, and I also like making my own parts when I can, and I cant wait for the final product, a little twist on the cf I recently discovered and I'm excited to see how it turns out. here is the progress pics so far.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Cabin Fever!
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
almost done...actually looking like something now.

I need to trim, block sand, finish the filler opening..and clear but check it out...

camo carbon tank shroud..

·
Hope is what makes us Human.
8,425 Posts
You should be ashamed of yourself! Making a FAKE carbon Fiber tank...:puke:

·
Cabin Fever!
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
whats fake about it? sorry I cant afford an autoclave to make dry carbon with pre preg parts...I forgot my F1 sponsors and backing in my other garage.... but it's real cf with a fiberglass base....when I start racing in moto America with sponsors I'll worry about saving the extra 2 lbs with exorbitant costs...for now this serves every bit of the need I have at a cost I can tolerate while still paying for my kids gymnastics, volleyball and other things ;)

·
8,425 Posts
whats fake about it? sorry I cant afford an autoclave to make dry carbon with pre preg parts...I forgot my F1 sponsors and backing in my other garage.... but it's real cf with a fiberglass base....when I start racing in moto America with sponsors I'll worry about saving the extra 2 lbs with exorbitant costs...for now this serves every bit of the need I have at a cost I can tolerate while still paying for my kids gymnastics, volleyball and other things ;)

I totally understand your point of not wanted or having the monies to spend for a CF tank. But why have a cover over the OEM fuel tank??? It only adds weight and looks to the bike. If you are a racer, you don't care about that you care about ur seconds...

But its ur bike friend, you do what you please. :wink2:

·
Cabin Fever!
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I totally understand your point of not wanted or having the monies to spend for a CF tank. But why have a cover over the OEM fuel tank??? It only adds weight and looks to the bike. If you are a racer, you don't care about that you care about ur seconds...

But its ur bike friend, you do what you please. :wink2:
because of sliding up the tank under braking..even though I weight my hands a lot....and for stability in locking my outer leg in the tank when leaning deep...trust me...the shape is a welcomed addition! I can lose the little extra weight myself w the treadmill lol

·
Cabin Fever!
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lots of folks add a cover over the OEM tank...look at se composites or the many others out there

·
8,425 Posts
Ignore Ben... he doesn't know how what it takes to ride fast on a track. As a matter of fact, I don't think he's ever been on a track.
Indeed

because of sliding up the tank under braking..even though I weight my hands a lot....and for stability in locking my outer leg in the tank when leaning deep...trust me...the shape is a welcomed addition! I can lose the little extra weight myself w the treadmill lol

Gotcha! :thumbup:

·
Cabin Fever!
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
pretty much finished up...there's a few waves and dips in the final product but it's good enough for now. after a month or so of time in the sun and getting fully cured I'll add a few extra layers of silmar surfboard polyester resin and block sand it again to get it smooth all over.

def. changes the feel of the ride, sitting back farther and a bit less comfy just commuting but perfect when I get off the seat at all.

picked up some r1s wheels to get it back together and back in the road. man it was a long winter!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts