Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Just watched an entire motor rebuild I didnt see anything in the motor that looks similar to those bits and pieces. A mystery for sure.
Stator/magneto exploding sent pieces everywhere and could have been fixed previously but never had oil pan dropped to be cleaned out. It was a known issue and that’s what I think is the green and yellow stuff. i would look at the stator to see if it’s one piece magnets not broken. Is the battery holding a charge?if those pieces ruined oil pump Oil starvation from that magneto/stator explosion could have been what cooked your clutch

·
Like The Rising Phoenix
2,835 Posts
That's very possible that its what Matt said. Never dealt with that problem so I'm not sure. But the more I hear about this and see things, the more I start wondering about upgrading mine to avoid this.

Reactions: Anewman31

·
Like The Rising Phoenix
2,835 Posts
They are known to fail before 20k miles. Upgrade it now it’s a possibility of catastrophically nasty engine failure.
I've been looking into it. Not something I knew about till recently. I kind of took a long break from all this so I wasn't as up to date on things. But I don't ride the 05 as much these days, so not top priority at the moment. But will probably be something I do later this year, maybe summer time. Bike only has about 12k miles on it right now, and its been about 1200-1500 miles since I rebuilt the engine. And everything then checked out just fine while it was torn apart. I'm looking at the RMStator replacement/upgrade.

Reactions: 1202067

·
Registered
2005 R1
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Okay so another update. I think everything is going to be okay. I just ordered a nice clutch assembly off an 06 bike on Ebay for $260. Same guy has a pump too so Ill get that as well. Both very clean parts Im pretty happy actually. The clutch plates in my bike were all good, almost new, except for the one closest to the motor. That one was clearly rubbing something so the friction material is gone.
Im looking for gaskets and I found this brand online, does anyone know about them? Thanks

·
Like The Rising Phoenix
2,835 Posts
Bike is back together. It runs. It idles perfectly. Its fast. We are good!!!
Awesome and good deal. Enjoy and have fun with it. I had my 05 R1 out over the weekend, so much fun still. And always a little different compared to my 2020.

Reactions: 1202067

·
Registered
274 Posts
Stator/magneto exploding sent pieces everywhere and could have been fixed previously but never had oil pan dropped to be cleaned out. It was a known issue and that’s what I think is the green and yellow stuff. i would look at the stator to see if it’s one piece magnets not broken. Is the battery holding a charge?if those pieces ruined oil pump Oil starvation from that magneto/stator explosion could have been what cooked your clutch
Those are 100% pieces of the original flywheel generator/stator in that oil pan. See my post on the topic - Replace your old flywheel generator

·
Registered
274 Posts
That's very possible that its what Matt said. Never dealt with that problem so I'm not sure. But the more I hear about this and see things, the more I start wondering about upgrading mine to avoid this.
If you can spare the ~$350 or so then do it. The alternative is to deal with battery charging issues and eventually having to clean pieces out of your oil pan. Removing the exhaust is a pain the ass.

They are known to fail before 20k miles. Upgrade it now it’s a possibility of catastrophically nasty engine failure.
Mine lasted about 40K miles or so in perfect working condition, but I had 10K miles after that of problems keeping the battery charged. When it eventually stopped working completely I was on the highway doing about 70 mph when the battery finally ran out of charge and everything on the bike died. No lights, no spark, (so, no combustion), nothing.

From experience I can tell you that a fully charged lead acid battery will give you roughly 20-30 miles or ~ 30 minutes of operation before the bike shuts off. This is how I got the bike back home. I parked it in a secured lot (after pushing it a couple of miles on foot), charged up two batteries and swapped them along the way.

81 - 91 of 91 Posts