Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your process for learning a track quickly? If you show up at a track you have never ridden before, do you have a plan for how you might learn it as fast as possible? What do you think might be some tips and tricks for picking up a track faster than others? :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Normally I'll watch plenty of YouTube onwards of the track, always fast group onboards as the lines are better (although not always spot on) compared to the inconsistencies you find with inters footage.
If I can I'll do a load of laps on Ride 4 - Project cars 2 in VR to get a rough idea of it too.

Then when I get to the track, first session is always sighting and just getting a feel for the layout, if there was anything missed during onboards and the games.

Second session is braking markers and apexs.

Third session I start doing some timing and get a base line before lunch.

Rest of the sessions are just pushing on and trying to get some laps together.

It's worked for me.

·
Just Me.
515 Posts
Run the entire first session in 3rd or 4th gear only (depends on the track) and analyze where my braking markers are, tip in points are, the apexes, and where the widest exit markers are to carry the most speed coming out of each corner for each turn at the track. 10 times out of 10, I've studied several videos and track maps prior to arriving at said track.

It was recommended to me by several people to try and draw a track map from memory. I've only tried this twice - NJMP Thunderbolt and Laguna Seca.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts