Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So life got really busy and I have been out of my home state for 7 months, I left my 18 R1 in a temperature controlled indoor storage unit with a half tank of gas for those months.

I haven’t had a chance to start it and did not use a fuel additive, should I drain the fuel and fill her up with new fuel or just top her up with more fuel.

Worth noting is I had the 600 mile maintenance done shortly before parking so I don’t feel oil needs changing, any opinions on what I should do and things to look out for would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
41 Posts
So life got really busy and I have been out of my home state for 7 months, I left my 18 R1 in a temperature controlled indoor storage unit with a half tank of gas for those months.

I haven’t had a chance to start it and did not use a fuel additive, should I drain the fuel and fill her up with new fuel or just top her up with more fuel.

Worth noting is I had the 600 mile maintenance done shortly before parking so I don’t feel oil needs changing, any opinions on what I should do and things to look out for would be greatly appreciated.
Hi R1R1, I think the oil will be fine as for the gas it should be fine too. If you are ever going to do it again, put in in fuel stabiliser in it. I wish I had done that with my Aprilia. Which has been standing for a year and a half. In future that is what I will do, especially for both bikes which are essentially track bikes. The R1 build got in the way of the the Aprilia build. Put the fuel stabiliser in run it for a few seconds and it will keep the fuel in good condition, also get in the injectors. You should be fine.
When I bought the R1 it had not been run in 8 months. Fill the tank up with the stabiliser and run it, the full tank will stop condensation inside the tank too if you decide to leave it for that length of time.
Like I said mine a 2015 had not been run for 8 moths and it was fine.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi R1R1, I think the oil will be fine as for the gas it should be fine too. If you are ever going to do it again, put in in fuel stabiliser in it. I wish I had done that with my Aprilia. Which has been standing for a year and a half. In future that is what I will do, especially for both bikes which are essentially track bikes. The R1 build got in the way of the the Aprilia build. Put the fuel stabiliser in run it for a few seconds and it will keep the fuel in good condition, also get in the injectors. You should be fine.
When I bought the R1 it had not been run in 8 months. Fill the tank up with the stabiliser and run it, the full tank will stop condensation inside the tank too if you decide to leave it for that length of time.
Like I said mine a 2015 had not been run for 8 moths and it was fine.

Appreciate the quick reply man, I’m going to to get on it ASAP and this won’t be happening again, going to start storing at home for the winters instead of a unit.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Appreciate the quick reply man, I’m going to to get on it ASAP and this won’t be happening again, going to start storing at home for the winters instead of a unit.
You are welcome . Just remember to run it up before storing it, also full tank as well.
I done a favor for someone and as you know, no favor goes unpunished . But it was an older model R1 2004 and the tank had gone totally rusty and the fuel was almost like jelly.
It had been stored for four years.
Fuel stabilizer with a probably saved it with a full tank. The tea bag filter was destroyed plus the fuel pump. In fact I shall get some for the Aprilia hopefully it will start and it will be OK till I can get on with it, after I get the 2015 track ready for April.

·
Booya
34,516 Posts
Charge the battery and I'll bet she starts right up. You'll know soon enough if the fuel has turned at all as the bike won't run as smooth. Easy way to check something is to shine a light in the tank and see if the fuel has a varnish coloring to it. At seven months, it shouldn't, but if it makes you feel better, it doesn't take much to look at it. Either way, start it up and let it get warm. Fill the tank with fresh fuel and put a half can of seafoam in with it. Go riding.

If you use ethanol, it wouldn't hurt to shine a light on the inside walls of the tank to look for rust.

In the end, seven months isn't really a thing - bikes in the midwest are left all winter on the same tank. Most put stabilizer in, but I know many that don't.

·
If speed kills quit taking it
1,640 Posts
I regularly store my '02 for about a year at a time and the following always works a treat:

Fueled RIGHT up and with stabilizer added
Run it for 10 minutes to get the fuel and stabilizer mixed and through the injection system
Tyres overinflated and off the ground
Battery out and on a trickle charger
Fresh oil

Once the battery's back in and the fuel pump is primed it doesn't take more than a few seconds to fire up.
And it's always a great feeling when I hear that roar!

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,167 Posts
its an aluminum gas tank. nothing to worry about

·
2006 R1 LE #283
30 Posts
7 months is no problem. Mine has been sitting for maybe 2 years and fired right up. when I started having charging issues I just parked it and rode my R6 instead. I finally got back into it and the stator is toast. All the magnets came off.

Lawn mowers are another story. They are hypersensitive to the ethanol-added fuels.

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,167 Posts
here's a fun fact. you can always drain the current gas, refill n' start her up..

if its been parked a really long time, i recommend lucas oil injector cleaner.

that stuff works fvcking great, i've had my engine apart n' cylinders / pistons were
a piece of cake to get cleaned even with over 55k kms on the odo. It has seen
Ethanol fuel garbage from riding in WA state & Oregon. There were no major
carbon deposits to be found at all. So for those nay-sayers, including my old
man: psst. you're wrong! :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts