Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

2401 - 2420 of 2432 Posts

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,260 Posts
The flu kills how many people annually? And it has a vaccine? Over sensationalism
like i said, numbers dont impress anybody.. as long as it doesnt actually affect you,
most couldn't fvcking care less. you can fvck around with numbers till the cows
come home, I would be happier if y'all just admitted you dont give a shit about anybody
but yourself. You guys spent way too much time googling answers, without bothering
with simple logic.

the argument has never been on the side of 'oh but what about the common cold',
how about FAT PEOPLE, how about coffee!! hey how many die from stubbing their
toe on the night stand? lets all run around half cocked looking for a bigger stat with
lots of numbers so we can continue to ignore the actual facts. The MEDICAL system
itself is being overwhelmed! there are no elective surgeries allowed unless you pay
big money, half the cities around the world are churning at 30% of normal contact
just to keep the virus from ransacking the entire country, but you're looking at stats.

this is why i try to avoid STAT arguments, keep googling numbers friend, the facts are currently the US has tested a dismal 1% of the population, but because of the 2 month gap where nothing was done, there's actually just under 5% actually infected, regardless of what confirmed cases show. The rest of the world no longer cares about stats. Clearly the U.S. fvcked the pooch and there's no point trying to get the genie back in the bottle.

here is a clue, BC in western Canada has been discussing things from the beginning and
strongly discouraged from obsessively looking at death toll numbers and using all those
Hollywood type DEATH TOLL projection models because our medical professionals know
how over-population and high density numbers work within a computer model. You've
been watching too many 'apocalypse movies' and of course when reality fails to impress
you, then it must be fake. Oh boy. There's folks out in the real world that have worked
on SARS, MERS, the stupid flu on a regular basis, and by the way, they all disagree with
your numbers, every single one of them. The issue here is not stats, its education.

in order to achieve herd immunity you would need to be at 60 to 80% infected within
the USA and there is no way in hell your medical system could even handle a fraction of
that. Since you like stats, take a look at what things would actually look like if the US
were infected 100%, then take our your calculator and start dialing it back to a number
that makes you happy. Why is it that only medical professionals know how to read these?

there used to be a time, when the CDC was a respected entity. Before your time obviously.

·
11,806 Posts

·
11,806 Posts

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,260 Posts
I think i killed 50 bugs while i was out riding the other day.. i probably saw about 500 bugs though..

let me get my calculater... holly fvck, 10% of bugs around the entire world just died..

#blondes_do_it_better.. must be a slow week ;)

·
Booya
34,523 Posts
Well...you just cant make this up. Who's going to be first....to inject that sunlight and disinfectant?

·
Venom X/O
24,047 Posts
I think i killed 50 bugs while i was out riding the other day.. i probably saw about 500 bugs though..

let me get my calculater... holly fvck, 10% of bugs around the entire world just died..

#blondes_do_it_better.. must be a slow week ;)

didn’t you just post a “what if” ?

·
Booya
34,523 Posts
“The Sun” :rolleyes:
What about it? Google Trump and sunlight and you find youtube vids. Or is it fake news because someone posted that after it airing on the sun...just like it aired on Fox News, CNN, and half the world live? You do realize, regardless of the publication...the President was actually the one speaking right? And they said Obama was the "messiah".

Reactions: bacchus40

·
Plastic surgery pending
5,565 Posts
“The Sun” :rolleyes:
We have people in here posting stuff from OAN...soooooo....yeah.
On your earlier comment, if you look at the numbers, flu deaths fluctuate from season to season. Some have reached around 60k deaths, others are much lower (under 30k). Flu seasons last 3+ months. We're at around the three month mark from the first infection. 50k have died, and infection rates are still rising.
The one upside is that this shouldn't mutate in the way the flu does, so once it's over (herd immunity, vaccination, etc.), we should be in a pretty good spot.

·
Venom X/O
24,047 Posts
We have people in here posting stuff from OAN...soooooo....yeah.
On your earlier comment, if you look at the numbers, flu deaths fluctuate from season to season. Some have reached around 60k deaths, others are much lower (under 30k). Flu seasons last 3+ months. We're at around the three month mark from the first infection. 50k have died, and infection rates are still rising.
The one upside is that this shouldn't mutate in the way the flu does, so once it's over (herd immunity, vaccination, etc.), we should be in a pretty good spot.
The flu argument is an interesting one because the flu has a vaccine, and is still deadly every single year. It’s not as overblown as this because we see it every single year, and people are numb to it. The same thing with diabetes, COPD, Congestive heart failure. People know smoking will kill you, but how many people smoke?
People know the flu can kill you, but how many people don’t treat the flu like they treat Covid19. The point is, if the pretty blond lady is right, and the actual mortality rate is less than .6%... this virus isn’t as alarming as the media leads everyone to believe.
ive been accused of not giving a damn because it doesn’t affect me and that’s flat out bullshiz. I have a wife who is a nurse and visits facilities daily with positive cases, and I have a 20mo old baby at home. I watch this virus pandemic very closely. I work in a water/sewer department for local government and am exposed to solid wastes every day I drive to my water plant. The virus was found to last in human waste longer than on inanimate objects.

The virus is dangerous; all viruses are. But do we need to shut down? No. Do we need to spend every ounce of money to find a cure? No. I quickly disagreed with the entire process of bailing out everyone and shutting down, but I understand why the decision was made

I have the potential of my wife bringing this virus home every single day, but I refuse to panic and blame the president when it isn’t his fault humans are shitty, lie, and slush our germs together like a Coca-Cola freestyle machine. People are criticizing the president while he’s reacting to pressure from around the world, from people who haven’t the slightest idea.

My state is 8th on the list for infection. The news is reporting widespread panic, hospital deficiencies, people in the streets nationwide and it’s not true. Central Florida hospitals are not overrun, neither is Miami or Jacksonville like they claim. It’s a lie

just like “the sun” reports.

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,260 Posts
didn’t you just post a “what if” ?
dunno what you mean. sorry. post you quoted was making fun of the blonde on the news..

i dont see a purpose to chasing mortality rates. Models are tools, but its only interesting when medical professionals analyze 'em. Thats all.

I was actually surprised at your comments, because i was aware somebody close to you
was a nurse. I wasnt 100% so i did not mention it.

I personally dont see a point in comparing this to a seasonal FLU, and discussing
or comparing mortality rates. The seasonal FLU does what it does every year, some times
worse some times not, but it does so whilst 100% society contact is ongoing. I havent
had the flu for nearly 2 decades so really, i have nothing to compare.

I personally do think the states were forced to shut down, but thats because it was not
contained. Humans are stupid and will ignore heath risks and all bets are off at that point.

But coming back 2 or 3 months after community contact has been reduced to 30% and
then comparing mortality rates based on MUCH smaller sample data doesnt make sense
at all. There's a massive mitigation effort that is ongoing, which is not used when the day
to day seasonal flu is doing its own thing. You're literally comparing apples to oranges
and calling it lemonade..

What about it? Google Trump and sunlight and you find youtube vids.
i just caught the news bit yeah, hilarious stuff.. its on MSNBC as well as others, youtube
is your friend. You can find full length press releases w/out commentary.

i often wonder why everybody keeps arguing about news network overages stateside.
Most of the time i tune in for the actual press release, and yes thats Trump running his
mouth off. Sure, there will always be reporters that want to focus on a certain narrative
and will run off on a tangent but if we're hearing 'advice' from the President and you can
quote the stuff flat out, including the ignorant arguments after fact checkers have had
their fun, then I dont see how it matters who airs it either.

The states have a very funny way of dealing with a 'crisis' of this magnitude.

I can definitely say we're watching two different pandemics. Locally, we're very lucky our
Chief Medical Officer is very highly respected by medical professionals around the world
and has some serious experience in dealing with infectious diseases / outbreaks.

We've been getting the news direct from the horses' mouth so to speak. There isnt
nearly as much confusion going on up here. We basically 'contained' it very early on
and mitigation efforts are going very well. Folks will be back to work soon. The virus
hit BC hard purely because of so many ties to China within the local community, but cooler
heads prevailed and thanks to early action way back in December everybody pretty much
knew what was coming, and when.

The 'outbreaks' that have taken place up here had little to do with China directly. Our
efforts to shut down the borders were as a result of travelers returning home from Europe
and the USA. Early spring breakers went to sunny parts of the US and everybody came
back infected. BC was the one province which really pushed to close borders to US
residents as we already had a handle on things, and our medical professionals needed
to make sure we focus on our own residents, keeping things from running amock.

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,260 Posts
For those who somehow, keep getting upset when somebody points out the absurd, dangerous comments put forth by the President. I think there's a limit to how much you can blindly follow somebody purely because you think its your duty as an American.

Clearly, American experts have no such qualms about calling him out for the incompetent leader he is.

• Amna Nawaz: (PBS NewsHour)

I want to begin by asking you something the president said yesterday that's gotten a lot of reaction today.
    He floated the idea of using ultraviolet lights and disinfectants to possibly combat COVID-19. He said today he was being sarcastic, but what did you think when you first heard the remarks?

• Michael Osterholm:

Well, I stopped listening to the daily briefings. I think I'm one of many in our business that has.

So, I didn't hear them. I only saw them reported secondhand.
    And I can tell you, my 10-year-old grandson wondered what they were all about.

• Amna Nawaz:

But what do you mean about that?

• Michael Osterholm:

I think it was obvious these are not realistic or even, for that matter, potentially safe approaches, and so that, in understanding the comments, one had to just take them for the non-scientific basis upon which they were stated.

• Amna Nawaz:

Can I ask you, though, because it's not the first time that the president has made statements that either aren't backed up by science or contradict science.
    And they do have some effect. We just heard today from the office of the Maryland governor where they said they got over 100 calls from people calling to the state emergency hot line and asking if they could use disinfectant or either ingest it or inject it to combat the virus.
    Do you worry about the effect of that kind of continued messaging coming from the White House?

• Michael Osterholm:

Well, first of all, there's really two aspects of this issue about messaging.
    Number one is, in fact, yes, we don't want to do harm, and throwing out comments without having vetted them with experts.
    But I think equally challenge going forward is, is that we are in for really rough days coming yet, and that's where credibility and leadership are going to be everything. You have to trust the individual who is telling you how bad things are, how bad they will get.

And where is the credibility coming from? We are going to need FDR-like fireside chats through the course of the next year or two, 16, 18 months. And these kind of events don't instill any kind of confidence that those can happen.

·
Venom X/O
24,047 Posts
For those who somehow, keep getting upset when somebody points out the absurd, dangerous comments put forth by the President. I think there's a limit to how much you can blindly follow somebody purely because you think its your duty as an American.

Clearly, American experts have no such qualms about calling him out for the incompetent leader he is.

• Amna Nawaz: (PBS NewsHour)

I want to begin by asking you something the president said yesterday that's gotten a lot of reaction today.
    He floated the idea of using ultraviolet lights and disinfectants to possibly combat COVID-19. He said today he was being sarcastic, but what did you think when you first heard the remarks?

• Michael Osterholm:

Well, I stopped listening to the daily briefings. I think I'm one of many in our business that has.

So, I didn't hear them. I only saw them reported secondhand.
    And I can tell you, my 10-year-old grandson wondered what they were all about.

• Amna Nawaz:

But what do you mean about that?

• Michael Osterholm:

I think it was obvious these are not realistic or even, for that matter, potentially safe approaches, and so that, in understanding the comments, one had to just take them for the non-scientific basis upon which they were stated.

• Amna Nawaz:

Can I ask you, though, because it's not the first time that the president has made statements that either aren't backed up by science or contradict science.
    And they do have some effect. We just heard today from the office of the Maryland governor where they said they got over 100 calls from people calling to the state emergency hot line and asking if they could use disinfectant or either ingest it or inject it to combat the virus.
    Do you worry about the effect of that kind of continued messaging coming from the White House?

• Michael Osterholm:

Well, first of all, there's really two aspects of this issue about messaging.
    Number one is, in fact, yes, we don't want to do harm, and throwing out comments without having vetted them with experts.
    But I think equally challenge going forward is, is that we are in for really rough days coming yet, and that's where credibility and leadership are going to be everything. You have to trust the individual who is telling you how bad things are, how bad they will get.

And where is the credibility coming from? We are going to need FDR-like fireside chats through the course of the next year or two, 16, 18 months. And these kind of events don't instill any kind of confidence that those can happen.
”FDR-like?” You can go ahead and throw that guys credibility out the window. FDR was a wolf in sheep’s clothes. He sat up there and lied through his teeth to the American people and we ate it up.

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,260 Posts
I quoted everything, pure copy / paste.. I did not make additional comments as to who Dr. Osterholm
is, as i figured those who have no clue, would be the 1st to chime in.

thanks for proving suspicions right.. within a few mere seconds i may add. Speaking of 'credibility'.

Dr Osterholm is one of your own leading CDC experts, He is now at the University of Minnesota.

i guess i dont need to see your reading list, a little less time searching for FLU fatality
rates may be in order. I'm just gonna go ahead and assume you dont know who
Dr. Bruce Aylward is either.

·
Venom X/O
24,047 Posts
I quoted everything, pure copy / paste.. I did not make additional comments as to who Dr. Osterholm
is, as i figured those who have no clue, would be the 1st to chime in.

thanks for proving suspicions right.. within a few mere seconds i may add. Speaking of 'credibility'.

Dr Osterholm is one of your own leading CDC experts, He is now at the University of Minnesota.

i guess i dont need to see your reading list, a little less time searching for FLU fatality
rates may be in order. I'm just gonna go ahead and assume you dont know who
Dr. Bruce Aylward is either.
youre on the outside lookin in dude, and you’re wrong about my “reading list”

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,260 Posts
youre on the outside lookin in dude, and you’re wrong about my “reading list”
classic 'murican response, considering you're about 3 years late to the table.

unfortunately in this case, there's no denying you've been drinking the kool-aid
with a heavy hand. Ignorant actions, comments have far reaching consequences.

·
11,806 Posts
It's finally trickling out to the "media" that this was way overblown. Like we already knew. The Democrats pushed the panic button to try to ruin the economy so that come November everyone would blame President Trump. Guess what? Not gonna happen. We're going to open back up quickly once the real news spreads and swing back slowly to where we were and Trump will win again. My whole company is already back to work and we have 2 months of backlog to catch up on. I'll be making tons of OT for at least 4 months. Companies we service are coming back as well. They tried to sink the country to ruin Trump. They failed. Again. Democrats are 3 strike losers. Come November after his win and the resulting leftist crying/hugging/saferoom parties Trump is going after his enemies. Head are gonna roll.

·
Booya
34,523 Posts
Does anyone remember when the "Bushism" gave us a weekly chuckle? Now the daily facepalm can be cringeworthy. It does allow SNL to have a well of content that doesn't dry up.

Reactions: bacchus40

·
11,806 Posts

2401 - 2420 of 2432 Posts