Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

2421 - 2432 of 2432 Posts

·
Plastic surgery pending
5,565 Posts
I have just one point: It's not their field. Doctorate holders have very specific areas of expertise. If they're even successful in their area of focus, it says nothing else about them. I've worked with plenty of PhDs, MDs, and even one DVM! All very different types of people, and their intelligence relative to each other in matters outside of their areas of focus varies greatly.

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,260 Posts
You think I bow to the orange man. Couldn’t be further off
i would hope not, but thats not necessarily what was meant, simply in terms of 'credibility'
between the two, there's a stark contrast..

i can see understand how youd think thats the case on my part though.. its easy to rush to
conclusions. But hey if thats the case, i am rather happy there's a border on the 49th parallel.

Helps us all agree to disagree. Glass houses and all that jazz :D

caught that late last night.. hilarious

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,260 Posts
I've worked with plenty of PhDs, MDs, and even one DVM! All very different types of people, and their intelligence relative to each other in matters outside of their areas of focus varies greatly.
this, its a lot closer to what was meant above.. listening to news networks and their opinions on data available vs listening to your local pharmacist vs an actual expert in such complicated a field will yield widely varied 'conclusions'.

lets just say things are very different from state to state, never mind on the federal level.

Canada has experienced very similar results and mis-information can cripple even an 'educated' response. We are very lucky on the west coast, and will reap the benefits, without the need for polarizing conspiracy theories nor political baggage.

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,260 Posts
It's finally trickling out to the "media" that this was way overblown. Like we already knew.
caught this after posting. I think in terms of economic recovery for the most part 'people' in general were pushing the panic button as most don't have safety cushions to keep the bills paid and if you'd splurged last year 'counting on the good times' then its likely savings suffered a little. While the concern is valid, in the grand scheme of things 2 to 3 months off work now, is a little easier to handle than the 'alternative' which was just letting 'virus spread' simply wash over the population but its more about striking a balance between financial ruin vs high healthcare casualties during a period of 'unknown certainty'. If you've bought into the mass hysteria then its likely you're watching too many movies about the great depression. Highly effective personal computers in every home means a good portion of the financial and international business sector can simply 'work from home'. Sillicone valley will survive, MS has local Canadian employees that cant cross the border at this point.

What is real, is Cities and their budgets / responsibilities. I'm sure its very similar stateside as it is in Canada, in that cities cannot run a deficit like the Federal gov't does. If you've got millions of Americans / Canadians off work for too long a period, essential services themselves can suffer from lack of funding, what that looks like across state & provincial lines can vary greatly.

Cuomo in NY has made it clear recently, for cities its not as simple as 'declaring bankruptcy' as people do still own property in said affected cities. For a city like Vancouver (bc west coast) it means millions of millions of 'real cash' revenue simply not being present during a time of dire needs. They've requested financial help from the provincial gov't and have been shot down, no stimulus cheques are coming. And no, they cannot run a deficit, cost cutting measures are in place, but nothing lasts forever.

But there is assistance for small / medium business that have been moderately to hardest hit. There are wage subsidy programs in place which have allowed our working class to simply 'choose' a stay home routine right through to the end of July. Heck even students are getting a hefty boost through the coming months due to lack of 'summer jobs'. Can you imagine graduating college a full 3 months ahead of what is considered 'normal' and have no jobs waiting for you?

So yeh, those who have a solid job in a solid industry will pickup where they left off and work O.T. to make ends meet. Just dont expect every city to get back to its buzzling self on the short run.

As a 'continent' North America's economical power house will likely see a slow but steady return to 'normal'.

Attachments

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,260 Posts
so much for good news out of NY. I decided to keep quiet on antibody testing as we were recently advised locally, those CDC test figures released need to be 'studied' b4 an actual conclusion can be reached. Of all discussion we've seen re: antibody testing, scientists are not using those numbers to figure out a mortality rate, more a suspected rate of infection. There's over 8 million NY residents, 7500 random tests during a lock-down dont exactly add up to 'herd immunity' nor a 0.5% MR. A (local) Vancouver lab using modern tech. recently found over 500+ antibodies from a US resident who 'was' infected with the virus and survived. The data has now set off a partnership with a US 'pharmaceutical' company in order to assess which of those 500+ antibodies actually have effect against the virus, presumably to come up with treatments which may help others heal faster. We already know those who live together stand a higher chance of 'sharing' certain antibodies by sheer nature of (immunity buildup), sharing a cup of coffee or utensil over extended periods. Yet not everydody responds to a 'seasonal flu' or 'flu vaccine' the same way.

related statements (source in brackets):

(cnn interview) Michael Osterholm - Director of Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy

BERGEN: Is there a world in which we would all be issued nationally recognized status as immune that would allow us to go back to work? Relatedly, would that really work if there are faulty tests?

OSTERHOLM: I've seen this idea expressed by a number of people in the past few days. They believe that we just need to have a kind of system where we see if you have been infected using antibody tests. Right now, Covid-19 virus and antibody testing in this country and in some other parts of the world is nothing more than the Wild, Wild West.

Before we can launch on any kind of an immune status national program, we have to understand two things. One is what the test results really mean. Does a positive antibody test mean someone has immunity or not? I think that's a big challenge. In a low prevalence area for previous Covid-19 infection, which is most of the country, a positive antibody result could be a true positive or a false negative.

(quoted on local news -stat magazine) Dr. Richard Besser - former acting director of CDC

In New York, about 15% of the 7,500 people who have been tested in the state's antibody study have tested positive, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said.

Those tests are "not ready for prime time," a former acting director of the CDC told Stat, a health news website.

"As we learn whether that means you are protected in the future, there could be value in that," Dr. Richard Besser told Stat, but "the science isn't there yet to be able to say what those tests mean."

"I worry that people will get a false sense of security and they can change their behavior based on the results of that test, or have a false sense of concern if it's a test that isn't detecting protections that they may actually have."

·
The Lead Farmer
25,431 Posts
Closed my business and went to work in the big leagues. Stupid money and not nearly the same stress. worked 27 days straight this last stretch, home sick today.

2421 - 2432 of 2432 Posts