Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
All your R1 are belong to us!
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To any/all interested parties: based input in the previous thread I posted, & after drooling on a WR250X & '10 YZF450, I'm going to try to campaign Yamaha Motor Corp. to make the motard we all want. Things most often don't come to those who sit & wait for others to take action to make it happen. If you're cold & want a fire, you gotta start one yourself. Chances of a spontaneously spark are slim chance. So, I called Yamaha USA & got address & FAX # to try to tell them. But, I think it makes a significantly greater impact to get the ball rolling, & this thread is an attempt to do just that.

I want to turn this...

...into this:

I'm guessing a few of you might as well. Imagine this in a full-on, street-legal format:

Currently, it's nearly impossible to legally register a converted bike designed "for off road use only" in most states. A from-the-ground-up street-legal motard takes care of that.

The WR250X is a great platform, but the new-gen YZF450 raises the bar on single-cyl. powerplant design & has a great chassis to compliment it, & a 450 makes more sense for street use, & too much sense in general. Yamaha Jpn might already working on the concept, but who really knows? Sitting around hoping for it to become a reality is a fool's errand. This thread alone will get some buzz going; writing/FAX'ing letters will probably help even more.

Yamaha Motor Corp.
6555 Cypress, CA
90630-5101
FAX: 714-761-7302

Give me, or Yamaha, some feedback. I want to send a message, but it won't have any weight with corp. if it's a cry in the wilderness. What do you want to say? I'll can send a link to this thread, but it has to generate enough activity to make an impact. If everyone else cross-links this thread to other sites, it could potentially go viral, thereby lending some impetus to get the project going (sooner = better).

In particular, this hybrid has an advantage: much of the work on the engine design is already completed, only it would need some specific components &/or firmware mods for the street-oriented application. Between the 2 pre-existing models, the basics are already there. It just becomes more a matter of fine-tune engineering some specific things to put it all together in a 450 package. Much of the basic componenets from both models could be combined just to get it ~80-90% there. About the only major engineering I see is in the motor (it'll need a wet sump & a re-tune/re-config. for greater reliability/longer service intervals). The chassis, & suspension are pretty much spot-on, but would need to be tailored specifically for the 450. The majority of the street-legal components (17" spoke wheels, tires, brakes, wave rotors, lights, instrument cluster, etc.) can be taken straight from the WR250X.

From the economic vantage, creating a new product from existing parts & componenets generates added renevue from the previous, initial investment, as opposed to investing in a new start-up project.
The CS rep. I spoke with told me that the Tenare got here in large part due to customer input, so I don't see this being insurmountable. An economic trough is a good period to work on product dev. We just need to generate enough interest to support it.

What do you think? If you'd like to see this happen, then respond here & also link it into other forums. Let's roll this.

·
All your R1 are belong to us!
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well boys (& girls), we need to show Yamaha Japan that there is enough stateside interest in such a product to warrant the requisite R&D investment & also minimize the financial risks from a corporate viewpoint. This thread could be the catalyst to generate such interest, so the thing is, I need all of you to get others in here & post their support for it. If I send a letter to corporate with a URL link reference to a thread that's only a page or 2 long, I don't think it will raise any eyebroews. We need to show some hard numbers of serious interest. Not just "...it'd be sick/cool dude!!!"-type comments, but genuine interest in investing $$$ in such a product.

I want them to see that the consumer demand is genuine. If this thread can demonstrate such sufficiency, then it will make a present argument for a go-ahead on the project. This isn't a philanthropy. Yamaha, the company, is purely interested in projects that will generate profit. No real profit potential = pound sand. So, get you fellow interested forum members &/or friends to lend their voice to this thread.

·
new to the yamis'
15 Posts
if it were to happen i would buy one, if not 2 and put my 426(444) sumo back to a dirt machine.

serious note...i cant see japan making any new bikes especially a wr450X soon

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have said for a while its what I want..My buddy has a crf450X and I have a KTM 520exc Sumo. It hurt me to leave the yamaha family, but until the 450 sumo shows up KTM it is.

·
I like to Ride
565 Posts
Waiting for Yamaha sucks. I went ahead and picked up an '12 WR450 and ordered supermoto parts for it last week. Here she is:

·
Registered
129 Posts
I like this idea. The WR above looks great with the white/blue IMO BTW!

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Waiting for Yamaha sucks. I went ahead and picked up an '12 WR450 and ordered supermoto parts for it last week. Here she is:

thats gonna be one hell of a machine ive been eye humping on of those wr 450s:lhumper: i bought my ol dirtbike back from a buddy who never rode it and i got it for cheap..05 crf 450 w/with 510 stroker and all tricked out..saving up for parts now....

Attachments

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
About this Discussion
40 Replies
26 Participants
Leland
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing