Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Goufer's Can Fly?!?!
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
okay im trying to help my friend fix his bike. i do not have any manuals and limited on tools. i will try to explain the best i can symptoms. its a 2001 honda 929rr. when the igniton switch is turned on, only the clock and speedo comes on. the light do not lite up and the fuel pump doesnt prime the engine. (cluster lights and headlights usually all turn on at this point) i first thought it was a faulty ignition switch so i bypassed the ignition switch and basically "hotwired" the bike. same problem. no lights and no fuelpump but speedo and clock turn on. so i canceld out the ignition switch. so now with the key in "ON" position with no lights and only clock and speedo on, i ran the fuelpump directly to the battery and heard it whine. so i know the fuel pump is working. so i try to start the bike with the fuel pump wired to battery. cranks but does not start. (i forgot to say that the bike always turned over when starter was commaded to) so now im thinking fuel pump relay or igntion relay (if there a ignition relay) so i start removing the gas tank and in doing so i noticed when the gas tank was grounded, there was alot of sparks and then all the bikes lights turned on and fuel pump started to whine as if everything was working again. WTF?!?! so i put the gas tank back down and make sure its not grounded or touching anything and it goes back to "dead" mode. now i take a piece of wire and touch one end to ground and one end to the fuel pump housing. same thing! the bikes lights and fuel pump turn on and the bike seems to be fixed. i tried to start the bike and VIOLA!! its starts right up no problem. as soon at the wire is removed it goes back to its "dead" self. i also noticed that i can hear 2 relays clicking when you ground the gas tank. one is fuel pump relay. we unplugged the relay and jumped the wires to bypass. no effect to the problem. the other relay that was clicking we couldnt locate but we think it was near the brake side clipon area.

now im thinkinh the gas tank is supposed to be grounded cause how else would the fuel pump get its ground? i noticed the way the gastank is mounted, it is never supposed to touch the frame and neither is the bolts that mount it. so basically it looks like the tank is not supposed to be grounded. i asked 2 mechanic friends and one said the tank IS supposed to be grounded and the other said it IS NOT supposed to be grounded. i think theres a short somewhere but not sure in which circut. can anyone help out. this is giving me gray hairs and im only 23. i just want my friend to enjoy the rest of the very few sunny days that are left here with us in the mountains. any ideas? or even a wire schematic of a 2001 929rr? thanks. if you give me advice i would go try it out as soon as i get som free time

thx in advanced!!!

·
the lesser of 2 weavels
3,728 Posts
came across something similar on a friends blade, turned out to be the factory alarm was faulty, had to be reprogrammed at a honda dealer:fact sorry i can't be more help, goodluck:thumbup

·
you can't have my last beer
3,466 Posts
I can't help you with your problem, but I wanted to tell you that your troubleshooting skills are excellent. I'm a PC technician, so leave to me to find respect for that.

Good luck! :thumbup

·
Out of place adventure rider
2,682 Posts
Sounds like you already have this one beat, with everything working perfectly when grounded, I would suggest finding the system ground and checking it ( loose, dirty, maybe clean and sand it a bit,). And do some wire tracing to see if you've got a rubbed/cut wire in the harness. Maybe try a Honda forum for a wiring schematic, that would help a bunch. Good luck and Keep us posted

·
Goufer's Can Fly?!?!
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all the help guys. one question. is the gas tank supposed to be grounded?? if it is, how does it ground? through mounting bolts? or is there a wire that grounds it?

·
Goufer's Can Fly?!?!
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
im not sure. thats what i thought, but when i looked at the mounting bolts the is insulation keeping the bolts from ever touching the gas tank. also the paint surrounding the mounting bolt area is covered in paint. so im pretty sure its not through the bolts. on top of that there is alot of sparks (arching) when you do touch the tank to ground. major signs of a short. but then again you have to take into consideration that the bike is in "ON" position when grounding the tank the the wires are supposed to spark. so i really dont know. im torn. i also forgot to say before the bike died, the bike was running fine but would occasionally die out when coming to a stop. then one day the bike died out and never started again untill i started messin with it and found out this gas tank grounding problem. is there such thing as a ignition relay?

·
R190-`Tyre Fryer`
2,683 Posts
is it as easy as bonding a wire to the tank and connecting to a bott in the frame?

·
BAMF
151 Posts
I've owned plenty of bikes and can say none have had the tank grounded. They've all been secured to the frame with rubber dampners w/bolts running through the middle. Sounds like a harness problem personally somewhere near the frame or tank.
Good luck.
Be around to enjoy our sport, ride safe.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Sounds like you already have this one beat. IMO I would just ground the fuel pump and be done with it.

·
"Gort-Klaatu barada nikto!"
3,197 Posts
You've lost ground to the system. By grounding the tank, your just supplying a ground. Check the battery, the engine ground, and any other source of ground from the harness/engine would be my guess. You do not want to ground the tank! Do you not realilize that's full of an explosive and that sparks and gas don't mix? The ground will usually feed through the fuse box/battery and if resistance gets too high, it blows a fuse. Did you check that? If you ground the tank you could be asking for much bigger problems IMO. Check around the back of the motor for a ground.

·
R190-`Tyre Fryer`
2,683 Posts
this game sux btw :thumbup

·
Goufer's Can Fly?!?!
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
RTSR1 said:
The ground will usually feed through the fuse box/battery and if resistance gets too high, it blows a fuse. Did you check that? Check around the back of the motor for a ground.
this is what i was looking for. lemme check on this and see if you win this game.

r1_dav3 said:
this game sux btw
some people think cucumbers taste better pickled.:finger

1 - 16 of 16 Posts