Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
If my R6 had boobs,I'd lick'em
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, looking for a little help please concerning Linux. I've been wanting to check it out and was wondering where I can download a good version?

Also, How much room does Linux take up?

Is it very hard to set up?

Take long to install?

Does it come with a GUI?

If I install it onto my laptop, when I Defragment, will it defragment the Linux part as well?

·
Super Moderator
8,670 Posts
www.linux.org

I like Slackware.

You're probably better off running Redhat as it has the easiest install/setup program.

A full redhat distribution is close to 3-5 gigs last time I checked. 4 CD ISO download.

Install time depends on your computer. Doesn't take any longer then an XP Install.

Nearly all popular distributions come with XFree86 with KDE2 and Gnome. I prefer Gnome with Elightenment for a window manager.

If you install it on your laptop, you'll need to partition the harddrive. 1 partition for windows, another for linux, and another for the linux swap partition.

Slackware can run on a FAT32 partition but it isn't recommended. Windows will not be able to recognized the linux partitions, therefore it won't be able to defrag them. heh

·
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm, on that linux.org site, there are a few that run on a windows partition and aren't that big. Have you tried those or know someone that has? They say FAT32 or FAT16 required, but I'm on NTFS right now, would that be a problem?

·
powderwhore
1,141 Posts

·
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, I downloaded two different linux versions, Morphix and Knoppix. They both run off CDs and Ive been able to boot them and everything, EXCEPT connect to the internet. Anyone able to tell me how? I have Cable and a router. Thanks

·
I EAT SKYLINES!
2,162 Posts

·
BANNED!
3,989 Posts
killershroomr6 said:
Ok, I downloaded two different linux versions, Morphix and Knoppix. They both run off CDs and Ive been able to boot them and everything, EXCEPT connect to the internet. Anyone able to tell me how? I have Cable and a router. Thanks
hehe, i dunno d00d, i was just talkin outta my :butt

i have never used it only heard about it :2bitchsla

·
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ah, dang, well this kinda sucks. I can't figure out why its not connecting. I have autodetecting selected and its not working. Probably going to stick with XP still, thought it would be fun to chekc out a new OS, hehe.

·
I EAT SKYLINES!
2,162 Posts
Linux is NOT Windows, and thats the problem most people have when trying it out for the first time.

Things dont work the same, look the same, or anything the same.

The sooner people realise this, the easier it will become to use.

·
2BTHE1
345 Posts
I used knoppix and was able to set up my internet. I think it will recognise most ethernet cards, but I had a hard time with a wireless card. Look in the "start" menu and there should be something like knoppix configuration (not sure of the name, but it has knoppix in it). In there you can set up your connection

·
Cornering Enthusiast
1,747 Posts
www.distrowatch.com

There are many flavors of linux listed for you to try out. Keep in mind some of them may be in a foreign language. I know I'm going to get flamed for this but for beginners I would recommend one of the following:

www.lycoris.com
www.mandrake.com
www.redhat.com
www.suse.com

Once you get familiar with one of those and want to dive in deeper you can work on Slackware or Debian. I still use Suse linux on my web server and it does everything I need. Great product. Personal preference though. When in doubt, head to one of the following sites for help:

www.linuxdocs.org
www.justlinux.com
www.google.com/linux

The following links are awesome sites for various linux software:

www.freshmeat.net
www.sourceforge.net

Hope some of this helps out man.

JJ

1 - 20 of 23 Posts