Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I took off the oil pan and other intrenal parts most the bolts had loctitie on them. Some had yellow, some orange, some red loctite. Why the different colors? I have only seen blue and red. Do I need to match theses colors when I put the motor backl togther? Or can I just use some of the blue stuff I already have.? And my other question is, how do I get allt he old loctitie out holes and threads so I can redo it without any old stuff in there?

·
aka `GoBabyGo`
1,139 Posts
I replaced the water pump seal about one year ago and had to remove the oil sump. I used/use only blue loctite, a buddy of mine put the red one on my steering damper bolt and we could not undo the bold for love or money.

Had to arc weld a piece of steel on it to get some leverage on it after the hex bolt stripped.
There is a thread tap you can use to clean out the old loctite.

Cheers,
GBG

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GobabyGo said:
I replaced the water pump seal about one year ago and had to remove the oil sump. I used/use only blue loctite, a buddy of mine put the red one on my steering damper bolt and we could not undo the bold for love or money.

Had to arc weld a piece of steel on it to get some leverage on it after the hex bolt stripped.
There is a thread tap you can use to clean out the old loctite.

Cheers,
GBG
Damn

·
Forum Moderator
3,957 Posts
lick it off.... damnit guys! just run it through a bolt.. not that it matters or anything.. cause when you apply the new loctite and run it in the threads. it'll kick out the old crap anyways.

... I use blue and red on my bike... red is med.. odd how you had to pull out the ARC.. :confused:

·
MY R1 ATE THE BANK!
1,447 Posts
BE CAREFULL old thread lock can obstruct a bolt and cause it to snap off, Clear the threads with the correct size TAP its far safer and at the very least good practice!!!:beer :beer

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
chuckh said:
BE CAREFULL old thread lock can obstruct a bolt and cause it to snap off, Clear the threads with the correct size TAP its far safer and at the very least good practice!!!:beer :beer
Thanks Bro!

·
aka `GoBabyGo`
1,139 Posts
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by chuckh
BE CAREFULL old thread lock can obstruct a bolt and cause it to snap off, Clear the threads with the correct size TAP its far safer and at the very least good practice!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CORRECT!!!!
I did not clean out one of the threads for the water pump housing and the bolt snapped and I was only using 10 ft of torque as the manual instructed. I shat myself because the bolt snapped in the lower crank casing, I nearly cried but luckily a small piece of the bolt was sticking out so I could remove it!

Cheers
GBG

·
Action figure sold separately
12,225 Posts
tidbit said:
lick it off.... damnit guys! just run it through a bolt.. not that it matters or anything.. cause when you apply the new loctite and run it in the threads. it'll kick out the old crap anyways.

... I use blue and red on my bike... red is med.. odd how you had to pull out the ARC.. :confused:
Blue is medium, red is high strength.

·
Formley known as slutty
5,183 Posts
if memory serves me you need heat to remove the red!!!!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
slutty22 said:
if memory serves me you need heat to remove the red!!!!
That is the idea I came up with use a heat gun to heat it up and stick somethign in there to wipe it out.

·
Formley known as slutty
5,183 Posts
May require more heat than a gun can produce.....Ideally would be to use a mini butane torch......works perfectly + its enough to blow out whatever is left in the threads.....

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
slutty22 said:
May require more heat than a gun can produce.....Ideally would be to use a mini butane torch......works perfectly + its enough to blow out whatever is left in the threads.....
Good Idea, thanks bro:thumbup :rock

·
Mike
1,167 Posts
I work at loctite. Ya got your red, blue and green. Green is is sleeve retainer, the red and blue are thread lockers.

The green ya can force out by impact, the red/blue heat works. This is just a simple way of looking at it.

Use a die/tap to get the old crap off, it will gum up threads and could cause ya to mess the threads up.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
skinnyR! said:
I work at loctite. Ya got your red, blue and green. Green is is sleeve retainer, the red and blue are thread lockers.

The green ya can force out by impact, the red/blue heat works. This is just a simple way of looking at it.

Use a die/tap to get the old crap off, it will gum up threads and could cause ya to mess the threads up.
Thanks bro

·
MY R1 ATE THE BANK!
1,447 Posts
Forget heat use a tap ITS WHAT ITS FOR if it will cut a thread it WILL clean a thread !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:beer :beer :beer :beer

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
chuckh said:
Forget heat use a tap ITS WHAT ITS FOR if it will cut a thread it WILL clean a thread !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:beer :beer :beer :beer
I just got bcak from purchasing both. I got a mini butane torch and a tap and die set. I am going ot try both and see which is easier, though I know the tap and die will. But I had an excuse to buy a mimi butane torch. This thing is awsome. Is it ok to use a razor to carefully scrape off remaining head gasket pieces?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts