Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Rangers Lead the Way
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a good day of riding. Logged about 250 miles (highway and city) A couple of notes.
-dont get caught in traffic in the summer. the 04 puts off a lot of heat
-1st gear IS kind of rough in the city or in traffic. you have to rev it to get it going, then clutch it to slow down to stay with the traffic
-no buzz or vibes on the highway. mirrors blur a little about 4-5K in 6th
-the brakes feel nuetral. probably cause they are still new. they stop good but dont bite. good and bad. more to follow
-not that it matters, but crappy gas mileage in the city
-a lot of heat comes out down low near the feet. even at 80-90 on the highway, you can still feel a constant heat on your feet.
-haven't had it in the powerband but a couple of times. it doesn't take long for it to get there, though. Definitely a happy revver.
-great day, soar butt, and lots of :) :) :) :) :) :)

Looking forward to the 200 tomorrow.

·
Banned
9,594 Posts
Cool. :beer Here is what I thought:

There was still some snow on the ground, but most of it was dry. 40 degrees and 40% chance of snow. I cut the ride short.

But I must say; this new 04' R1 is sweet. The tranny feels much better, the brakes are amazing, and the power is NICE!

Yeah I have 30 miles on here but I had to try. First gear wheelies are effortless, and the second gear wheelies need some coaxing (very little though). I have not yet tried thrid, but will as soon as I get more miles on her. Please keep in mind that I'm 4260 ft. above sea level.

No buzzing in the bars, seat position is way better than last years, tires hook up pretty good, very throaty on accel. 6th gear 5500 RPMs indicated 81 mph, twist the throttle and she goes.

I've heard someone complain about the bar to tank relation when making sharp turns. I have no problems with it. I'm 6'-0", 170 lbs. The seat is comfy and does not slide you into the tank.

With the revised shift light, it's easier to see in the daytime compared to last years model.

Only complaints; stock windscreen sucks (we all know this), no room under the pass. seat (backpacks baby), and too cold to ride more today.

All in all, SWEET Motorcycle!!

·
Rangers Lead the Way
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm glad you mentioned that, superstar. the roll ons are awsome. Not the by the book roll on, but when you are cruising at 80 and wack the throttle, it goes and goes. I was in traffic but I swear 130 came in about 4 seconds. I had room under the seat for the tool kit, a hat, and a pair of sunglasses. And I had to push the seat closed. NOTHING BUT SWEETNESS, THOUGH.:beer

·
Banned
9,594 Posts
bwat2 said:
I'm glad you mentioned that, superstar. the roll ons are awsome. Not the by the book roll on, but when you are cruising at 80 and wack the throttle, it goes and goes. I was in traffic but I swear 130 came in about 4 seconds. I had room under the seat for the tool kit, a hat, and a pair of sunglasses. And I had to push the seat closed. NOTHING BUT SWEETNESS, THOUGH.:beer
And read what we both said about the buzz in the bars.:thumbup

One thing I forgot to mention, the 04' R1 does not like really bumpy roads.:cryin

·
Registered
306 Posts
I found that once I got used to launching the bike, which is a little tricky at first due to the tall 1st gear, riding aound town wasn't a problem. The fuel injection is excellent, and pulls cleanly even from very low RPMs, so I didn't have much trouble putting around with the traffic.

It does, eventually, get quite hot in stop & go traffic. I never felt heat coming up through the seat, but I definitely felt it on my inner thighs when waiting at stoplights. Overall though, it's not a big deal. I've never been on a sportbike that didn't get a bit toasty in slow traffic.

The brakes don't have a whole lot of initial bite, but are very progressive and powerful. If you prefer more initial bite, a pad swap would probably do the trick, but it's largely a matter of taste.

My biggest complaint is the buzz at 5000RPM. This isn't felt through the bars, but at seat, and seems to be a resonance in the exhaust (caused by the EXUP?). In any event, the problem is that 5000RPM in 6th gear is normal highway speed around here, so it can be hard to avoid the buzz. It does seem to be smoothing out ever so slightly as the bike breaks in.

Altogether though, I'm very very pleased. One of the first things I did was take the bike to Lime Creek Road, which is a super-twisty and technical road around here. Even on a brand new and unfamiliar bike, I was able to scrub the rear tire to the edges on my first pass. The handling is truly confidence inspiring.

·
bleedin' blue
178 Posts
Put on a Power Commander and first gear/takeoffs are oh-so-smooth.

Also easier to control lofting the front...well, I'm not exactly lofting it yet but am getting it off the ground. It's interesting, I'm much more comfortable pulling up the FJR than the R1.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts