Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
.. `CALAMARO` .. alla Griglia
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... now that LoJack is not anymore the only kid on the block, I'd like to hear sugestions from anyone that had direct experience with any of the above or that whishes to speculate. Here is my story...

I have had a Scorpio alarm on my bike since year 2000 at that time it was sorta shity because the range of the remote decreased in time and if the alarm went off it did not notify you via remote. Now days I have the SR i900 and I consider it way way better and definitely a must have but here is how they stole my bike:

It was in the alley of a shop I was visiting so I was probably 30-40 feet away with just a coupla doors in between, if i did my part (keep the remote chargedat all time) I probably would have caught them but when the remote internal rechargeable battery falls below a certain voltage the remote enters the R-FID ONLY mode which means that when you get close to the bike it recognize you as the legit owner and it will let you start it but in that mode it will not sound when someone is tampering with your bike also, you can set your alarm to be silent at the bike but loud on your remote, in some cases this is a desireable mode because it will not rush the thieves since they do not realize the bike has an alarm at all and that will give you more time to get to the bike (with the weapon of your choice in hand) and prevent the theft. To make a long story short I also had LoJack the old type (2006) back then the LoJack people did not notify you when the bike is moved.

When I realized the bike was stolen I called LJ to have them activate the transmitter inside the bike but they said that I had to call the cops since they are the only one that can do it, so I called the cops to tell them to activate the LJ and their response was: "We can only activate the device after a police report is filled out" so I had to wait about 20 minutes before a cop showed up and another 1/2 hour before he was throuh filling out the report (by now I think my LJ was sitting at the bottom of the Indian Creek river). The never recovered the bike and that was the end of that.

Now... on the defense of a Scorpio alarm I have a good story: I was sitting in the movie theater whatching a movie when my remote's shock sensor went off so I ran like a bat outta hell towards the bike through escalators, doors, ramps and parking lots (the bike was probably 100 Yds away from me in line of sight through the walls of the movie theater bldg) it probably took me 2-3 minutes to get to the bike, when I got there I found it on the floor with a lady standing at the back of her car looking for damages to her bumper. I was able to recover some money on the spot for lever and mirror.

On my new bike I got the alarm and also I would like to get either a new LoJack (the kind that warns you when the bike gets moved) or another one of these GPS gizmos that are out now and this is where I need help from people with experience on any of these device

THE BOTTOM LINE THOUGH...

1. YES HAVE AN ALARM WITH A LONG RANGE THAT ALERTS YOU IMEDIATELY IF SOMEONE IS FUKCING AROUND WITH YOUR BIKE

• HAVE A SATELLITE RECOVERY SYSTEM IN CASE YOU ARE NOT FAST ENOUGH TO GET THERE ON TIME

1. INSURANCE, INSURANCE, INSURANCE
The trick is all about "Lead Time" more than 1/2 hours and your bike is most probably history.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
i do have the new style lowjack and it calls me, my momma, and sends me e-mail so i will say that in that respect it works great. i've never had to utilize the system thru the police as i dont leave it on its own much so its never really been in a prime situation for theft.

i dont think that i would buy a new "in demand" machine with out it though. if i had insurance that covered me i would probably be ok if they just actually replaced the bike.

·
Registered
64 Posts
McLocate is awesome. You can view your trips. Set alerts like geographical fences that alert you (by text or email) when they are breached or unauthorized movement or speed limit. Also has an input for aux sensors to alert you. Has batt backup and works amazingly well. $70/year service. $800 for the unit plus first year service. Love it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts