Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the longest trip you have ever taken on a bike? I am going to be getting a new bike in the next couple weeks and I am going to ride from here which is Springfield, IL to Houston, TX about 1000 miles....... anybody have some advice or things they think I should bring that I might not have thought about?

:riding

·
zoom, zoom zoom.
4 Posts
Wow... i only have done 304 miles in one day and i was sore as hell, and glad to get off.
i guess you are doing this over a few days?
AFTER CHECKING, OIL,COOLANT, PETROL, TYRES, BREAK FLUID LEVELS
i recomend the following obvious items... full petrol can, cellphone, punture kit, first aid kit, credit card, breakdown services number, foot pump, spare golves (if it the first pair get wet they will freeze your fingers), energy food- (chocolate & isotonic drink) for when you need to take a impromtu stop, helps sugar levels/enegry and rehydrates the body.
Good luck!

·
Banned
537 Posts
The best thing you can bring is a plan and a buddy. The buddy can be in a car or bike whatever and a plan just in case you end up running into some bad weather or just plain puss out. Have your route mapped with rest stops/hotels and yamaha dealers in case you have some unforseen problem with your bike. Also remember to be insured before you drive home just in case!

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope I am going to go all in one shot it will take about 13 -16 hours depending on road conditions leave early get there kinda late I will be there for a couple days then make the trip back.... I think I just might be crazy :eek: but I wanna go riding with my uncle in Houston and I dont really wanna drive my gas hog truck all the way down there..... thanks for the advice I found a kit that has everything for tire punctures and compressed air for filling back up so i dont have to have a bulky pump :thumbup

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wish I could bring a buddy it would make the trip seem alot easier but nobody wants to go.... any of you are welcome to meet me along the way for a lil ride...lol...I didnt think of the yamaha dealers I will have to look and see whats along the way

·
My R1 Ate your R1
1,020 Posts
650 or so for me on my FZR this past summer. This summer I plan on Louisville to Houston, about 980 miles.

hide

·
Registered
641 Posts
if you don't have proper luggage, i would recommend that. a tank bag would be nice, so you could lean on it and take some pressure off of your hands and wrists. also a cruise control might help.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HideOut said:
650 or so for me on my FZR this past summer. This summer I plan on Louisville to Houston, about 980 miles.

hide

PM me this summer when you are going to go down there I might be ready for another trip by then and im sure you could use a ridin buddy :rock

·
MY Bike Blows Me
126 Posts
IF YOUR GOING TO DO 1000 MILES IN 24 HOURS LOG IT AND SEND IT IN TO THE IRON BUT COMPETITON

·
Look out for what truck????
258 Posts
Did a little over 5000 miles last X-mas in 9 days. Done 1000 miles in a day before. The most I've ever done in a day on a R1 is 650.

The one thing you will really appreciate having is a throttle lock. NEP and Vista Cruz make some cheap ones that are simple to install. Get some Gold Bond powder, it's great for monkey butt. A pair of bicycle shorts under your leathers/textiles helps a lot. Be sure and take breaks whenever you start to lose concentration. You make mistakes when you stop paying attention, then things get dangerous. Get off the bike and walk arouind, heck you might want to take a 30 minute power nap at some point.

·
Speed is good.
1,940 Posts
Damn... Furthest I've gone in a single day is 230 miles. And my back was sore for two days! But that was on the 600RR with a backpack and crouched most of the time due to speed.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thought you were joking about the IRON Butt thing but i decided to look it up and its real I have never heard of it before.... I will keep track of it for my self but I probably wont pay to send it in to them

·
My R1 Ate your R1
1,020 Posts
I did 335 so far today. After an hours rest its time to go back out. I hear theres some street racin tonight...must go off and show off my new wares...

Hide

·
Old, fat and slow
1,931 Posts
Last summer I did 8500 miles in about 9 days last summer and pretty much the same the summer before that. The trip was from Indy to Cali, up through Oregon and Montana and back.

Longest day was probably around 850 miles. Just keep in mind that you're better off doing the longest days first in the trip. Don't kid yourself and think that you can 600 miles each day for a week or so. It's easy the first and second day, but gets more difficult as the number of days riding increases. Try to take a day off of the bike in the middle of the trip, if you have time.

I always wear a Camelback during hot weather rides. Putting ice in the bag keeps your back cool and having soemthing drink while you ride helps a lot as well.

Have fun!

Eric

·
The R1 is so Money
192 Posts
Every long ride I have done was with a throttle lock of some sorts. The best being a throttlemeister. Before you leave find some way of locking the throttle while riding bike. Your right wrist will kill after a few hours. At least find something to jam in there. Yeh its dangerous but its worth the risk.
Also load up bike with your stuff to see how the stuff rides. 85mph and the motorcycle vibration will move the load around after time. It sucks adjusting baggage out on road. Also rain gear:riding

·
Registered
73 Posts
A few long trips for me.
First in 2000. Victoria BC Canada to LasVegas and back in one week.
Two days to home, one night stop and I was on a 6pm Ferry in Vancouver to Victoria. 14 hours driving on the first day a 4 hour sleep and 12 hour for day 2 trip home. This was on an 1990 ZX6 Ninja

Summer 2002.
Victoria to Sanfrancisco and back. Day one did not end till 11:30 pm in Redbluf N.California. The remaining week was spent with a slower non-rushed ride back up the California, Oregon, and Washington coasts. This was on my 2001 R1. I used tensor bandages on my wrists to help fight the fatigue.

Summer 2003. Victoria to Calgary Alberta and back in 5 days. Also in my 2001 R1. It was during the the height of the fire season and did both directions in one day. There was a wonderful smell of bon fire in the air for 450 miles. Appx. 800 mile or 1300km each way i think.

The long rides are no problem if you not a smoker and your in the mountains. I feel really bad for my buddies on the praries. lots of road but not turns to break the bordom...

·
see you at the races and ride
3,906 Posts
do not forget earplugs as it prevents fatigue. I did 350 in oct. in one day on my R1 and I was pretty sore. I think my pants were to tight. I just did 400 mi. in the car this morning and will do it on the bike soon as I have a meeting in SF once a month now. Those hiway miles are going to flatten the hell out of the center of the tires though. A throttle lock is mandatory too.

·
Be Good, or good at it!
368 Posts
LOL...guess my brother in law and me are the crazy ones...we rode from Palm Springs to Daytona straight through in 94...probably 2600 miles or so...38 hours and 1 flat ass rear tire. Have done the trip 3 times now...great time, but the first one was the only time we did it straight through. I would recommend you wear a pair of gel bike shorts, but make sure they are pretty loose or the boys are gonna be flattened out in no time! Make sure to pack a plug kit and one of those cans of crap that will inflate a blown tire, a good cell phone, a route that you have marked gas stations every 100 miles (you can get this for free from AAA if you are a member). Once you get about 300 miles into it you will want to stop every 100 miles to stretch anyhow! Try and find a buddy to go with you, and hopefully he has a different bike than you so you can swap back and forth. (I had a Ninja 1000R and my brother a gsxr1100 so we could change seating positions every fuel stop) If you get a tank bag, try and find one that is tall enough for you to rest your chest on, but not so large that its uncomfortable to ride with. Bring a Rain Suit!!! Get a pair of Gel Pro Grips...they are awsome for your hands although you need to trim them so they dont hang up on your bar ends. Get a cruise control of some sort also...I made a pretty good one for my bikes, you can find the cruise control thread around here somewhere with pics of it. The most important thing is to plan your ride and then try your hardest to stick to your plan, and make sure your bike is set up for you, get the position of your shifter and brake correct, get the angle of your levers to where they are the most comfortable (although on an R1 the space to angle your clutch lever is really limited), do a few 200 - 400 mile days before you jump on a 1000 mile ride just to see how you do. Once you break 400 - 500 miles it will feel pretty much the same from then on...every time you pull a lever it will be painful, every time you stretch out a leg you wont want to put it back in riding postion...LOL, cmon all you distance riders know how it feels!! I know summer hasnt hit yet, but I can already feel the urge to not stretch out my leg on that first long ride, cuz you know if you stretch it out once, the distance before you have to stretch it again is cut in half and pretty soon you are stretching your legs out every 20 miles or so...:lol

Anyhow, just prepare your self and you will have a really fun ride, take it easy and make sure to take plenty of breaks.

·
ShInYSiDe <VS> RuBBeRSiDe
1,334 Posts
Kelowna British Columbia, to Edmonton Alberta and back.. In Three days... (Two of actual riding.) Adding on another 300 kms in the city that Saturday. So just over 2300 kms in 72 hours on my 2002 R1.

Did once before too on my Suzuki RF600. Much nicer ride then the R1.. !
Lots anyway. Slept for two days when I got home.. Aaah kids.. young and foolish ;)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts