Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

· Registered
307 Posts
Longest ride was 8000km or 5600miles
longest single day 960miles or 1500km (4 pain killers).
Longest trip on the R1 6400km or a little over 4000miles.
I like putting on the mileage. When I go for a ride I will put on 600miles/day.

Ride Safe Jim

· Premium Member
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yeah I have no problem putting miles on a bike either I put a little over 12,000 miles on my bike in about 4 months last summer and I didnt take any trips I just rode that many laps around town :yesnod

· Do I really need a title
1,050 Posts
Yesterday was my longest ride. We went from Orlando to Daytona, spent the day in Daytona, back to Orlando, and then north up I75 to Valdosta. I think we logged about 400 miles. I feel fine today but was tired as hell last night. I think the MP3 player saved me

· Do I really need a title
1,050 Posts
XxDustin82xX said:
was it a pain getting the head phones or ear buds under your helmet
The ear phones that I used go into the ear, they had a collar on them that goes around your ear, my helmet wouldn't fit with them on, so I took them off. Everything else was fine from there.

· Cornering Enthusiast
1,751 Posts
GXRKLR said:
14 hours, 12 of it in the rain. No problem except for my leather dye soaked hands.
:lol :lol I hate that. The dye stays with your for days.....LOL

My longest ride would be 3800 (and some change) miles in a single run. From Houston to W. Virginia and back. Only had a 2 nap in W. Virginia and then it was a straight shot back home. I didn't ride for about 3 days after that since my ass and legs were so sore.

Gatorade, cell phone, emergency kit, rain gear, hand towel, map, dealer locations, clothes for all climates (sweatshirts, shorts, etc. ; you never know what the weather is like 100 miles down the road!!), snacks, and a camera is what I would recommend taking with you. I'm sure there are other things that I'm forgetting at the moment. Make a list NOW and add to it as you think of things. That way you have a checklist for when you get ready to depart.

Damn, 2 different people coming to Houston. Cool. Have to give me and some others a shout or something and we could do a Hooters lunch and :beer

· Super Squidly
338 Posts
YammieBender, you in Kelowna? I come up to Osoyoos a lot and will be up there a lot this summer and would liek to find some roads for my girl and I in southern BC. Let me know mang.

As far as my longest ride = it was 500 miles in 7 hours. That's pretty much a straight trip at 70 mph or so, only stopping for gas. Here's the best piece of advice. Get a big tank bag and fill it up with clothes, then you can lean forward on the bag and take pressure off your back every now and then. Variation is key. This was the biggest secret to me getting off my bike after 7 hours and not being sore. In fact, I was ready to keep riding. But I may have been energized because I was going to see my girl. I think some companies make products that raise the clip ons, that would help on a long trip too.
Lots of water too, but since you only have a touring range of about 150 miles, you're fine to just down some water at gas stops.

· My R1 Ate your R1
1,036 Posts
GSXKLLR, what part of Lex ya in? That "race" i ran sat was from harrodsburg up 68 towards Lexington. If i'd know th ere was a fellow R1-forum guy around I'd showed ya the bike. I was downtown for an hour and a half. Some friends of mine work/hang out at Lex rocks (lexington rocks, rock climbing indoors thingy.)

I too need bags like that. I'm not sure about the side bags though with this new undertail exhaust. Might have to settle for tang bag and passenger seat bag only.

Hide

· Registered
592 Posts
NY to LA on a 1980 Honda CB750F with low bars. Camped out in State and Local parks every night. It was three or four days to Boulder, Colo. Stayed there for a while. Then one day to southern Utah. Then one day (thru L.V.) to Newport Beach, Ca.

What do you need? To be under 30 years old. Short of that, the old adage is: Take half as much stuff as you think you'll need, and twice as much money as you think you'll need.

· L8R2U
21,430 Posts
About a four hour drive to Dallas :hellobye

· Beeeeeer!
9,543 Posts
XxDustin82xX said:
nice set up! how much did all the bags cost ya?
Under $200 for the sade bags and the tank bag. Teh tank bag is a Joe Rocket Sport, it's two pieces and very comfortable, and you can still see the gauges.

· Beeeeeer!
9,543 Posts
HideOut said:
GSXKLLR, what part of Lex ya in? That "race" i ran sat was from harrodsburg up 68 towards Lexington. If i'd know th ere was a fellow R1-forum guy around I'd showed ya the bike. I was downtown for an hour and a half. Some friends of mine work/hang out at Lex rocks (lexington rocks, rock climbing indoors thingy.)

I too need bags like that. I'm not sure about the side bags though with this new undertail exhaust. Might have to settle for tang bag and passenger seat bag only.

Hide
Congrats on the new bike. I'll add you to my Ky list of forum members I just started to put together.

Are you going to the Deals Gap get together in June?

· Banned
9,609 Posts
XxDustin82xX said:
Nope I am going to go all in one shot it will take about 13 -16 hours depending on road conditions leave early get there kinda late I will be there for a couple days then make the trip back.... I think I just might be crazy :eek: but I wanna go riding with my uncle in Houston and I dont really wanna drive my gas hog truck all the way down there..... thanks for the advice I found a kit that has everything for tire punctures and compressed air for filling back up so i dont have to have a bulky pump :thumbup
One shot huh? Good luck as you will be sore for days, especially your neck muscles and the back of your knees..

I rode form Marina Del Ray in Cali. to Salt Lake City on a 1996 ZX-7R: 700 miles in 11 hours and boy was I sore (and I'm a seasoned rider). This was also in July (too damn hot)

I also did 600 miles from Laguna Seca to Elko Nevada in one stint on my 02' R1. Stopped three times, gas/food. This was also in July, felt great the whole way. Should have rode all the way to Salt Lake City.

· My R1 Ate your R1
1,036 Posts
GZRKLR,
I am planning on it. IN fact a friend of mine just called and said he's not sure if he is going. He might be able to do a 3-4 day trip at the most. His HO is givin him hell. So is most people staying in hotels? Trailering the bikes?

Hide

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.