Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
too old to care
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys , I've been doing some reading while on the porcelin throne and was wondering about some of my options this coming spring. Right now ,I'm riding a '92 yamaha seca II , no mods ,factory through and through. It's listed as having 49 hp, which needless to say feels like a quick moped. Next spring , I'm wanting to step up to a newer model 600. Possibly a CBR , maybe a ninja , I'm not sure. I'd say due to my financial situation right now , I'm looking to buy around a '98 or '99 model. What bike would give me my best bang for the buck around those model year ? I've looked around some trying to find factory specs on some of the bikes from around 98-99 to try to get an idea of what kind of hp gains I can expect to be looking at but haven't had much luck. Any info you can give from experience on some of those model year 600's would be greatly appreciated. No telling how many times lately I've been riding along and wanted to kick it in , only to realize the throttle is already bottomed out.

Thanks.

·
Canadian Drinking Team
1,771 Posts
I don't think you can really go wrong with any of them. Just some advice though.... test ride them, go WOT (especially 2nd gear) to or near redline to test the tranny. I wish I woulda done that before buying my R6. Good luck :hellobye

·
My R1........dam fast.
240 Posts
Yeah, test ride an R6, any year. the 2001 & 2002 asthetically looks better than the 99-00 R6. I have a 2001 red R6, great condition...nothing wrong with it....it's for sale.

·
too old to care
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my bud has an '03 R6 , but I'm trying to stay within my price range - but , on the suggestion of the R6 ,I did look up some pics of a 99 R6 and all I can say is BAD ASS. I dig that big time.

·
Registered
641 Posts

·
GO CHIEFS!!!
6,870 Posts
R6 is definitely tops when it comes to those years (or now for that matter)..... Of course, for cost you might be better off with a f3 honda.... Cheaper than the r6 and still a pretty big step up from your secca...

- BA

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I had a ZX6R before i got my first R1 i did lots of miles and thrashed it all the time and it done me very proud. Was a very soild bike and was very reliable. ;)

·
Vrooom
1,531 Posts
I'd say go with a 6 Hun GIXXER or a Honda. The gixers are soo cheap, lots of parts for them and pretty good bang for the buck I would say.

·
Vrooom
1,531 Posts
That is if you are looking for a 98 or 99. Because 99 R6's are still pricy at times.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts