Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having problems with my bike and am now starting to suspect fueling. The plugs don't look like they have seen a lot of heat...ie lack of combustion.

Does anyone have a used plug they can post of a pic of? I'm not even sure what normal is for this bike.

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,655 Posts

Hope this helps.

Also:

Regardless of year, this information does not change.

·
None
217 Posts
Does anyone have a used plug they can post of a pic of? I'm not even sure what normal is for this bike.
Coincidence that replaced plugs recently, 2015 R1M with 9K miles on the plugs.

Essentially 100% Track Days, very low hwy miles.
Light Automotive tire Household hardware Fastener Gas
Finger Thumb Nail Household hardware Wood

·
Registered
2020 yzfr1 Raven
26 Posts
Im swapping mine out this week i will post once I have them out. Bikes total time since new 14,500 first new set of plugs.

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,655 Posts
Use better quality fuels preferbly without ethanol.
Personal opinion, rvc's plugs read good. Yours read fat. I'm assuming you are going to get it tuned at some point though.

Honestly, if rvc's plugs were mine, I'd just clean them up and reinstall them. I'm not even gonna lie.

I also feel like mentioning neither the plug you removed nor the plug you installed are a cr9ek. I'm also going to ask if anyone has used the cr9ek pa. It's supposed to have a better radius on the anode. They are a couple mil longer though, so the Kawasaki guys use a .04" index washer with them to avoid interference.

Without checking the squeeze, I don't know if we have the room, but if you can deck one .04, you might be able to just thread one in.

·
None
217 Posts
just clean them up and reinstall them.
Yeah, all track miles, so above 8k rpm on average.. The engines burn clean above 8k rpm..... no stop light stop and go stuff.

The effort in pulling the plugs warranted putting in the new one's on hand...

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,655 Posts
Yeah, all track miles, so above 8k rpm on average.. The engines burn clean above 8k rpm..... no stop light stop and go stuff.

The effort in pulling the plugs warranted putting in the new one's on hand...
I bet she's running tip top bud. Glad you're out there ripping an m. It makes my heart happy to see that one is actually being used!

Send it!

·
Registered
R1 08
135 Posts
Personal opinion, rvc's plugs read good. Yours read fat. I'm assuming you are going to get it tuned at some point though.

Honestly, if rvc's plugs were mine, I'd just clean them up and reinstall them. I'm not even gonna lie.

I also feel like mentioning neither the plug you removed nor the plug you installed are a cr9ek. I'm also going to ask if anyone has used the cr9ek pa. It's supposed to have a better radius on the anode. They are a couple mil longer though, so the Kawasaki guys use a .04" index washer with them to avoid interference.

Without checking the squeeze, I don't know if we have the room, but if you can deck one .04, you might be able to just thread one in.
A lot guys use CR9EIX with good results in Europe.

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,655 Posts
A lot guys use CR9EIX with good results in Europe.
I understand what you're saying. I also understand that folks don't like to change plugs very often. I'll still say they are the wrong plug. If you want platinum, you should at least look at the cr9ekpa. Looks like a direct swap. Better radius on the anodes as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts