Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was cleaning my newly acquired 2013 R1, I noticed that the gauge cluster was a bit loose and contained free play. I am able to move it about a 1/4" up/down and side to side.

Can a few of you with 09-14 R1's check if your gauge cluster has similar amount of play?

I've had three other bikes before and none of them had this play.

Thanks for checking!

· R1 Forum Star
16,242 Posts
While I was cleaning my newly acquired 2013 R1, I noticed that the gauge cluster was a bit loose and contained free play. I am able to move it about a 1/4" up/down and side to side.

Can a few of you with 09-14 R1's check if your gauge cluster has similar amount of play?

Thanks for checking!
no they don't...take the windscreen off and you can access the 3 screws that are holding it on..tighten those

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no they don't...take the windscreen off and you can access the 3 screws that are holding it on..tighten those
Thanks for the info! Are you sure I can access the 3 screws just by taking the wind screen off? I was under the impression by reading a few how to's on here that I have to remove the entire nose of the bike in order to access the 3 screws. I really don't feel like doing all that to a brand new bike, let a lone let the dealer touch her!

· R1, "One Hell of an Addiction"
14,034 Posts
Thanks for the info! Are you sure I can access the 3 screws just by taking the wind screen off? I was under the impression by reading a few how to's on here that I have to remove the entire nose of the bike in order to access the 3 screws. I really don't feel like doing all that to a brand new bike, let a lone let the dealer touch her!
I'm sure he's correct, he's probably had his apart fairly often being he races.

· Registered
416 Posts

Thanks for checking!
all cluster have some free play, if it doesn't shake while idling you should be OK

-

· R1 Forum Star
16,242 Posts
I'm sure he's correct, he's probably had his apart fairly often being he races.
Unless you have some giant hands or something you should be able to get your hand and a stubby screw driver in there. I haven't had a stock front on my bike in 3 years now though :lol

Taking the front off of the fairing stay is pretty easy as well though...

· Premium Member
1,347 Posts
could be needing a nip up but never heard it mentioned before? maybe k71000 has huge hands lol? these are the rubber gromits the cluster sit on. (I have raised my clocks up because I am old and blind lol)

· Registered
2,185 Posts
could be needing a nip up but never heard it mentioned before? maybe k71000 has huge hands lol? these are the rubber gromits the cluster sit on. (I have raised my clocks up because I am old and blind lol)

For an old guy you're pretty handy, thats a very smart idea!

Like others have said, 1/4" movement is too much. It does have rubber grommets on there but you really have to grab on to move it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.