Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

What do you think of loud pipes?

• Life Saver

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Abuse of freedom

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • Performance enhancement...to hell with opinions!

Votes: 30 42.9%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Loud pipes are anti-social, do us no favours with the neighbours and draw attention from the police, and we should stop using them on the road, according to riders’ rights campaign group, the BMF. And that is firing up quite a debate on our Talk Bikes bulletin board.

They may be illegal, but pipes which don’t quite meet noise regulations are used by large numbers of motorcyclists. Many argue they act as a safety device, alerting otherwise unwary car drivers to the presence of you and your bike.

But BMF spokesman Jeff Stone is now saying: " Freedom is what biking's all about, but on a small island like ours, have we really got the freedom to make as much noise as we want?

" I run a Ducati so I know what I think is a nice sound, but my neighbours probably think differently! This is not the BMF siding with authority, this is the BMF being realistic. "

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
778 Posts
LtdR1Ryder said:
I don't know about the life saver part but I have no objection to loud pipes. As long as the person isn't being an a$$.
Pipes ARE lifesavers! The first real mod I am doing to my bike is a full pipe (can't believe I haven't got to it yet).

My last bike had a LOUD pipe and it saved me more than once from semi-consciuos idoits in cages. When they hear you coming they tend not to get in your way!

I'd rather have a few pissed off neighbors than broken bones. It's also pretty easy to shut your bike down and coast it home when you get close to where you live.

BS

·
we meat again
18,549 Posts
LtdR1Ryder said:
I don't know about the life saver part but I have no objection to loud pipes. As long as the person isn't being an a$$.
:iamwithst :yesnod

·
Until it sleeps
5,422 Posts
02R1guy said:
I'm never was into the louder type of exhaust then I met ARATA :lol
Amen! However Arata is not that loud. Sampson (for harleys) and others r a LOT louder. It's not our 4bangers that r making the crazy amounts of noise. Sometimes my friend that ill cruise with says he will hear my chain over my pipe. That being said I usually never go above 4k rpms in town.
Those harley guys with the strait pipe that u hear from over a mile away r the ones u have to worry about.:butt

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,626 Posts
Blue Streak said:
Pipes ARE lifesavers!
No they aren't.
Being an alert and experienced rider saves lives.

And as to the comment that there are some pipes that are "slightly" over the noise limit, wake up.
Visit Daytona Beach, Myrtle Beach, Laconia, or Sturgis one time, and then tell me that those pipes are "slightly" over the noise limit.

·
Cheating death in the "D"
21,068 Posts
We should just be thankful we don't have government imposed noise regulations like the UK, or other Euro nations :yesnod

Its the nuts (we all see them, when we ride) that obnoxiosely rev at every intersection, and continuousely run at/near redline in the city that give the public reasons to be upset with us :no

·
My other bike is your sister
7,420 Posts
You can hear Harley's a mile away, yeah, but you can hear the 4-banger guys too. Stand outside on a quiet night, and in the distance you can hear the "brrrrr-WHEEEE-RRRRRR' of a fanned clutch and the run up to redline thru the gears.

I had a Yosh full race on my last bike, and yeah, it was loud. you could manage it if you kept the revs down thru town, and it wasn't bad. But open it up, and forget it. I couldn't get on it within a mile of my house or my wife would know it was me, no problem. Never really seemed to stop the cagers all that much, either.

·
LIVE TO RIDE ANOTHER DAY
463 Posts
Looneybomber said:
Amen! However Arata is not that loud. Sampson (for harleys) and others r a LOT louder. It's not our 4bangers that r making the crazy amounts of noise. Sometimes my friend that ill cruise with says he will hear my chain over my pipe. That being said I usually never go above 4k rpms in town.
Those harley guys with the strait pipe that u hear from over a mile away r the ones u have to worry about.:butt

:iamwithst Some of those harley pipes are unbearably loud! But I like the sound, "If its to loud your to old" Ive seen that sticker on cars a lot and its true. For the people whinin about loud pipes are also going to get V8 cars banned or to sound like a four cylinder.:bs There are a multitude of loud vehichles out there that make a crapload of noise the neighbours people in the community sooking are simply jealous that their ride aint that badass. Oh yeah I have a yoshi tri oval carbon fibre pipe and I love it, my neighbour has a V8 ss commodore(aussie car)and he warms it up for about 20 minutes every morning before work at 5 in the morning we all sleep right through it, and it is louder than my R1.

first off a person starts complaining about noise, next they are purchasing a cane:finger

·
Registered
301 Posts
I like the performance enhancement aftermarket pipes provide as well as the look, but for riding on the street, I'd rather be as quiet as possible so as not to attract undue attention whether it be by my neighbors or the police. I'm not sure about the "lifesaving" arguement as generally you can't hear a loud exhaust until after the bike has gone by.

I may have had a different opinion when I was younger but that's how I feel now.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
A couple of years ago I was riding down the street and there were a couple of kids and their parents walking in the opposite direction. About 30 feet before I get to them the little girl starts crying and puts her hands to her ears. I guess she got the impression that all bikes are ass loud. Probably traumatized by some loud ass Harley with strait pipes.

·
"Gort-Klaatu barada nikto!"
3,197 Posts
R1Budha said:
No they aren't.
Being an alert and experienced rider saves lives.

And as to the comment that there are some pipes that are "slightly" over the noise limit, wake up.
Visit Daytona Beach, Myrtle Beach, Laconia, or Sturgis one time, and then tell me that those pipes are "slightly" over the noise limit.
:iamwithst

·
Registered
531 Posts
My bikes pretty loud, it shakes the walls in my house when I have it warming up in the garage..

But I've ridden next to someone with their window down, and they've changed lanes and ran me out of my lane..

I think either loud or quiet, people driving just are just really stupid sometimes.. not watching for bikes..

·
Wanna try?
1,544 Posts
Both...But some people STUPIDLY rev the shit outta their bikes when there is no need to do so and that's why the cagers (who make the rules) are getting pissed and things will get more strict soon..

·
Responsibility sucks
205 Posts
I like loud pipes. I've had harleys and sportbikes and all have had loud pipes. You can make your loud pipes a little quieter by not running up to redline in your residental areas. If your smart about it you can have them and not make an ass out of yourself. Just my 2 cents

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.