Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Did a google search and seems like a fairly common complaint, but thought I'd get some advice from here

Earlier today I installed a new Rk chain with JT sprockets 17F and 47R. All standard pitch (#530). Alignment seems good. Chain tension seems normal. Rivets were done right, no kinks that I can see.

When I rode the bike I could hear a distinct whinning noise coming from the front sprocket that increases in frequency as my speed increases. The noise continues even with the clutch in or when I coast along in neutral, so I don't think the tranny's shot. I know the OEM front sprocket has rubber sides to dampen the noise, but damn this JT sprocket sounds like a supercharger whinning away.

Anyone know if this is "normal", or what the problem might be?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, checked it again and it's a bit tight. Problem is the axle's hard up against the stop so can't loosen it anymore - cut it to 118 links, should have left it at 120. Think I'll add a 16t on the front to loosen it up a bit and see what happens.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Put a JT 16t front sprocket on, and then loosened the chain up - seems to make less noise, but still makes a distinct whine - definitely not as loud as before. Pulls a lot harder through the gears now! Maybe this is the sound of an RK Chain on a non OEM sprocket, who knows - or the shaft bearing's ****ed. Rides great though.

·
me r1 to eats P***y
3,513 Posts
the noise will never go completely away as chains are noisy but proper tension, lubrication, and wheel allignment make a huge difference.

I like to get everything set then go to the back of the bike look at what side of the chain the sprocket is hitting and spin the wheel. assuming your rear sprocket is not warped the chain should float from one side to the other. Its not a big movement and its hard to see at first . If it always goes to one side move it to the other and spin the tire if it keeps going back to the one side your wheel is not straight.

adjust wheel allignment till it floats back and forth. Its better to adjust the chain looser one one side then pull the other side tight. If you are alligned on the marks on the swingarm it shouldnt take much adjustment. this method has worked great for me for years

·
ROWDY
12,178 Posts
Put a JT 16t front sprocket on, and then loosened the chain up - seems to make less noise, but still makes a distinct whine - definitely not as loud as before. Pulls a lot harder through the gears now! Maybe this is the sound of an RK Chain on a non OEM sprocket, who knows - or the shaft bearing's ****ed. Rides great though.
Like ^^^ stated it won't ever be real quite. They all wine some. sounds like you got it , You should get a speedohealer to get calibrate the speedo.it will be off about 10MPH at 70MPH

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Needed to post an update.

Even with correct alignment and tension the chain whine is still there. After about 50mph and when loaded, the whine increases in volume. At about 70mph+ it almost unbearable - sounds like the gearbox is ready to blow. I'm pretty sure it isn't the bearings, and I haven't heard of too many R1's with stuffed counter shaft bearings.

Think I'll put the OEM front sprocket on and see if that quieten things down.

·
Sanity is Going Fast
95 Posts
I know this an old thread but it describes my situation best. I'm getting a crazy loud whine as well as left footpeg vibration above 30 mph. Brand new driven sprockets (-1 front). Ek black 520 chain.

Got so bad that I turned around and came home to troubleshoot. Couldn't find anything wrong. All parts you torqued correctly. Wheel aligned via swinga

·
Sanity is Going Fast
95 Posts
Somehow managed to post half of my reply.

Wheel was aligned via swingarm blocks. I even used a micrometer to make sure the blocks were sitting perfectly equal. I though I had at one point during the ride smelled a lil plastic or runner (suspected the chain slide to be getting hammered by chain).

Anyone ever find out their issue? Mine is a 2012. Chain combo now has about 20 miles on it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've came across a few threads on here describing a whining issue I am also experiencing...

'13 R1 3700+ miles, stock chain within in specs, stock sprocs, nothing loose, wheel aligned...etc. Between 2nd (vague whin) and 6th gear (louder) between 40-60+ mph I hear the whine coming from what seems the chain/front sprocket. Stops if load is taken off (Hold the clutch in) and starts again promptly once the load is put back on. Started around 3000 miles and I began to lube/adjust my chain/wheel align..etc thinking this was the problem. I'm starting to believe it could be others peoples stated issues of something coming from the generator or stator area close by having a bad bearing, rotor, and or stator to some degree. Maybe even something in the drive train. :( Hasn't gotten any worse I don't think, Scratching my head :rant

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.