Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Stupid Should Hurt!
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at about 2000 miles on my o6 R1. The other day I left work and got on it a little in first and second then let off. (about 45-50mph) As I leaned back and let go of the bars (as I often do in the same spot) I noticed a vibration. I looked down and the bars were slapping from side to side pretty bad. Then today again. Is this normal or is something wrong? This is only my second bike, but on my FZ1 I could let go of the bars anytime over 20mph and never had so much as a twitch. And that was with no dampner.

·
just wanna ride
235 Posts
Also check your front tire . Check the wear if the pressure's low or high and it's looking like it's wearing you might need to replace it . Definately get it looked at though , sounds dangerous !

·
-.-- .- -- .- .... .-
3,305 Posts
My 06 did the same with the stock tire. I dont think they balanced it all that good from the factory. Have had four more tires on the front since, and they have been OK.
On a side note, I did have some problems under power also(on bumps). One day I decided to check the steering damper, it had 1/2 inch slop in it. So the thing was junk, don't know how long it was like that?? Replace the damper two tires ago......

·
Registered
353 Posts
It happened to me with the stock tire. Exactly the way you described it.

Replace your front tire.

Pilot Power here! :)

Also you can check the head bearing.

·
Banned
557 Posts
Replacing the oil or damper is only band-aiding a problem. Thats like "my transmission is knocking, so I turned my radio up and problem solved!"

Sounds like an air pressure/tire balance problem. Get rid of that junk OEM tire and put some good michelins on there.

BTW, replacing the factory damper oil with some heavier 20wt Ohlins fork oil is a MAJOR improvment if you plan to keep your stock damper. still easy to turn at low speeds but compeltly god rid of my tank slappys over bumpy conditions coming out of corners hard on the gas....
I had a shop do it and it was $40 for labor and oil.

·
Stupid Should Hurt!
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I checked the pressure and it was low, but It's done it since then. I have just under 2000 miles. Should I not feel it's rediculous that a brand new bike would have any problems?

·
I wreck my R1
6,157 Posts
My 07 would get some head shake coming out of an uphill turn. After inspecting the stock dampener I found it had 4-5 mm of slop. I replaced it w/an Ohlins and the problem stopped.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I checked the pressure and it was low, but It's done it since then. I have just under 2000 miles. Should I not feel it's rediculous that a brand new bike would have any problems?
It happened to me around 2k miles (brand new bike also). The dealer replaced the tire with another OEM Dunlop. It happened again around 4k miles.

So I decided to buy another tire. Pilot Powers and no more headshakes. :) :)

GET RID OF THAT OEM TIRE! YOU WONT REGRET IT!

Oh, and after u replce the tire, and u r convinced that your new tire doesn't get headshakes, put 20w fork oil in your steering damper. Feels great!!!

·
Booya
34,490 Posts
Tires and suspension. BIkes do not NEED dampers...they are helpful yes...but a properally setup bike will not requre one. Letting off the clipons should not make you go into a tankslapper...give me a break, that's a little common sense. Those that are saying just buy a better damper are nuts. The problem is still there, and now your damper is having to work harder at making your bike ride ok under normal conditions. When tyhe bike is in real trouble, you are going to have less room to recover.

Check suspension settings, check tire pressure, check tread wear....oh...and check BOTH sides of the bike...front and rear. Rear suspension issues can cause front end problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.