Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· My R1 eats my gurda
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok guys, i've wanted to lower the clip-ons (stock bars) a bit for trackdays..

I have the stock ones and im too ghetto to buy aftermarket. Soooooo, is it possible to not use the green bolt that goes from upper clamp to clipons, and lower/toque the clip-on screws to the forks?

it looks ok to me but i don't know if its gonna be tight enough...

what about using a longer green bolt?

thanks guys

david

· My R1 eats my gurda
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Green bolts = # 6

right now i just put them in the bars a bit, so they are not rotated from their original position. It gives me 1cm... not that bad, i prefer it that way, but wondering if its ok to do it that way. also the clutch lever hits the front fairing way harder now when the steering is locked on the right side ;)

will get gold aftermarket rearsets and levers one day...

· My R1 eats my gurda
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
light? it wont be light on trackdays :X

Im just asking if someone did it, since its cold as hell outside and the bike wont be out until april.

now the only problems ive seen is the green bolts might jump around. locktight will correct this.. and also the steering damper is quite forced down.. theres a rubber gasket i think or something like that.. i'll take a look at what i can do there.

· Pacific Track Time
327 Posts
YES!!!! I removed my #6 bolts so I could change the angle of the clip-ons on both my street bike and track bike. I like a straighter rake for more leverage and it doesn't strain my wrists. I haven't had a problem in over 10,000 miles on the street and all my track days last year.

*** DISCLAIMER - you must make sure the front end stops actually stop the front end right and left - and not by actuating the front brake on the right side. This causes most unfortunate mishaps, much to the entertainment of all who watch you try to park and dump your bike in front of the bar.

· My R1 eats my gurda
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i just found two bolts that to replace the green bolts.. and they are EXACTLY what i needed!

i cant lower the bars more than 1/2" because the damper won't work correctly.

Now the 2 bolts I found are long enough to reach the bars with 1/2" drop.. and if it wasnt enough, they are threaded half way ( ////////||||||||[] ) and the thread stops when the bars are droped 1/2"... damn am i lucky

They probably come from my previous R6 since they were in an old box... good thing i found them.

Just wanted to share my ghetto clip-on mod ^^

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.